Do Not Sell My Personal Information

engine malfunction

lasthope

just driving along road after a 30min trip engine malfunction pops up and seems its in limp mode I no I ask a lot if any ideas car starts ok can this been down to low dpf fluid never had any warning on dash and is car still ok to drive to local garage with is about 15 min drive

As long as oil light not on I would say you won’t cause anything worse by driving to garage. It needs the fault codes read. It could be anything. You can get good fault code readers under twenty quid. A lot of the cheapest ones are rubbish

no oil light on just the warning light

Could be a few things, but if you've not noticed any running issues it's likely to be either glow plugs or DPF fluid on a 1.6TDCi.

• Like 1

lad going to stick it on a diagnostics so I report back in an hour, got car booked in for dpf top up Friday but I never had any warning lights on dash to say its low if it is that

Could also be your EGR valve saying goodbye; mine did that in a similar way!  Will await codes..... 😄 

back from lads but lad lost the lead to run prog so car did not get done just noticed the engine managent light on now just done a bout 14 mile around trip car drives ok just limp mode got her up 65 took a few mins

2 minutes ago, lasthope said:

back from lads but lad lost the lead to run prog so car did not get done just noticed the engine managent light on now just done a bout 14 mile around trip car drives ok just limp mode got her up 65 took a few mins

The engine management light didn't come on for my egr issue, only limp mode and engine malfunction. After re starting it went back to normal for a short time so probably not that!

well going to phone garage in morning as I have it booked in for Friday for the dpf top up and see what he says

• Like 1

when my previous fiesta 1.6tdci kept going into limp mode the code said low fuel pressure. Replacing the fuel filter cured this.  as above, could be anything. Needs fault codes read to give a clue

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lasthope said:

You can actually reach 80 in limp mode on a long enough hill, it just restricts torque, not speed! :laugh: 

Engine management light doesn't often come on on these though, just the malfunction warning for the usual issues (DPF/EGR/plugs/filter) so I'll be interested to see what codes it has triggered.  It's also worth noting the DPF fluid counter needs to be reset after filling the additive so if it's the same guy doing it, he'll need to find the lead before that lol.

• Like 1

I cheers tom just phoned the lad cant get me in tomorr so its going to be 30quid for the diagnostics I hoping he knocks some money off if its the dpf top up  needed as he was going to charge 100quid all in for top up

you can read fault codes yourself for less than 30 quid. and then you have the stuff forever, to read future faults, read your mates' fault codes etc.

Tunnelrat have been recomended on this site many times for fault code readers. I have the usb one for use on my windows laptop . Forscan software is free for Windows.

I also have the Wifi one for use on android/iphone (it does work on laptop also) but Forscan for android/iphone costs about 6 or 7 quid. But there are other free apps for the phones.

less than 20 quid incl postage for the fault code reader.

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

you can get cheaper ones but there are a lot of rubbish ones out there.

• Like 1

looks ok that so will it reset stuff to if engine management light is on I might get me mate to go half as he as fold to

yes, you can reset the engine management light/ clear all the codes with these code readers.  

One of the problems with reading fault codes is the system can hold loads of fault codes for a long time so if the fault codes are read when no one has had a look for years there can be loads of them that relate to old/ temporary glitches.

So if there is more then one code, what you need to do is clear the codes. then drive car. then read codes again and see what reappears so you don't get misled by old stuff. 

They can do a whole lot more also including programming new keys (if you get the free extended licence for forscan on a windows laptop), forcing a DPF regeneration cycle, telling you how miles you have driven since the last dpf regeneration and more (most of which I have never explored)

https://forscan.org/forum/

• Like 1

that's sounds mint going have to get one now then,,i get me mate to get it as I have my car booked in tomorr for the diagnostics and same lad is doing the dpf top up so hoping this prob is down to low dpf fluid and he knocks a few quid off lol

back from diagnostics 4 probs 2 were nout he cleared them says I got a boost prob and dpf is full of crap he says but told me that the boost will effect the car going into limp mode and say loss of power and black smoke but getting no black smoke I had this boost prob for about year now it only misses if iam going up a big hill and stick my foot down hard I told him so car going back in Friday to see dpf is blocked or low on fluid he says a regen might now fix this prob

You won't see much black soot from the tail pipe as it's mostly getting stuck in the DPF lol...  Boost problem will fill the DPF quicker than it can regenerate.  Hopefully it'll just need a forced regen but if it's been going on for a year might be beyond that now.

• Like 1

so what can be the out come tom new dpf and turbo

It really depends what the issue is, hopefully it just needs a new sensor or boost pipe, it sounds unlikely the be the turbo itself.

With the DPF you'll have to try a forced regen once the other faults are fixed.  But if that doesn't work it'll need removing and either sonic cleaning or replacement.

lets hope I no when he had quick look said a bit oil on some pipe that was on the left as you stand in front of car just say then drop it off Friday I never had prob with car if boost is leaking I recall few month back I had misfire every time I tryed to stick foot down hard but that was down to diesel  filter so iam guesses car ran ok as I don't speed lol car will sit all day on motorway 79  80 no probs