Focused87

2011 Focus 1.6 Zetec S - 119,000 Miles

Hi. 

As per mentioned in the title. If I've read correctly, Ford introduced the EcoBoost idea in 2011 (correct me if I'm wrong). 

If I could locate a 2014, petrol Zetec S I would. 

But. 

The Zetec S 1.6 in question is a 2011 with 119,000 on the clock. 

Decent Service History. 

Questions:- 

1. Would this engine still be reliable to go for another say 4 / 5 years with non heavy use (maybe drive it every few days)?

2. Is there anything that could be changed in the engine to prolong the life or breathe new life into it? 

3. Would it be wise to steer clear all together? 

Thanks FOC 😁

Is that petrol or diesel. The diesel I'd say is okay. When I bought my mk6 fiesta zetec s 1.6 diesel the next day I noticed it would be rough on startup, puff a bit of smoke and run lumpy until it was driven a little. Found that one of the injectors were leaking causing fuel to puddle in the cylinder hence those symptoms after leaving the car to sit for more than 2 hours. It was £75 each to recondition a injector and thought might just get them all done because of the mileage. I heard though it's best to get low mileage second hand ones. Been a year and a half since I've done that and it's running all good 😊

8 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Is that petrol or diesel. The diesel I'd say is okay. When I bought my mk6 fiesta zetec s 1.6 diesel the next day I noticed it would be rough on startup, puff a bit of smoke and run lumpy until it was driven a little. Found that one of the injectors were leaking causing fuel to puddle in the cylinder hence those symptoms after leaving the car to sit for more than 2 hours. It was £75 each to recondition a injector and thought might just get them all done because of the mileage. I heard though it's best to get low mileage second hand ones. Been a year and a half since I've done that and it's running all good 😊

Apologies that's my fault I wasn't clear on the specs. That's a petrol. The mechanic I speak to told me only a week ago that you don't worry about high mileage on diesels. 

I've drove a few diesels to be fair but never owned one. Never been keen on them but finding a decent 2014 Focus Zetec S is usually a diesel. 

If reconditioning the injectors at £75 each was an option with the petrol engine I'd probably do the same as yourself and get them all done. 

With you mentioning mileage yourself regarding your Fiesta. Is there anything else you reconditioned / refurbished in the engine? 

Cheers Zain611 

Are you sure it's an EcoBoost model?  They also put the non turbo 1.6 Ti-VCT engine in the Mk3 Zetec S.  It's a more reliable engine but slower & less fun.

Personally I wouldn't buy a petrol on that sort of mileage that I was intending to keep for 5 years.  But I also don't agree with the archaic idea that diesels can cope with high mileage...the engine block & pistons yes, but not everything bolted to them, let alone the suspension etc.  If you do go for a high mileage one, make sure the cambelt has been changed, and its a bonus if the clutch has been changed as well.  Aside from that, theres not much more you can do to prolong engine life, just keep up the regular oil changes.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Are you sure it's an EcoBoost model?  They also put the non turbo 1.6 Ti-VCT engine in the Mk3 Zetec S.  It's a more reliable engine but slower & less fun.

Personally I wouldn't buy a petrol on that sort of mileage that I was intending to keep for 5 years.  But I also don't agree with the archaic idea that diesels can cope with high mileage...the engine block & pistons yes, but not everything bolted to them, let alone the suspension etc.  If you do go for a high mileage one, make sure the cambelt has been changed, and its a bonus if the clutch has been changed as well.  Aside from that, theres not much more you can do to prolong engine life, just keep up the regular oil changes.

Cheers TomsFocus. Yes it is the Ti-VCT engine. It doesn't specify it on the ad itself but yes the Ti-VCT. The 123bhp model. Would've preferred the 182bhp model but the one I've seen is miles out and is a bit pricier. 

I've had a voicemail from the seller informing me it's had the belt changed and the water pump also (unsure how important the water pump change is). 

More reliable than the EcoBoost plant with the turbo but you would still recommend giving it a miss? Any info always appreciated. 

Cheers. 

7 hours ago, Focused87 said:

Cheers TomsFocus. Yes it is the Ti-VCT engine. It doesn't specify it on the ad itself but yes the Ti-VCT. The 123bhp model. Would've preferred the 182bhp model but the one I've seen is miles out and is a bit pricier. 

I've had a voicemail from the seller informing me it's had the belt changed and the water pump also (unsure how important the water pump change is). 

More reliable than the EcoBoost plant with the turbo but you would still recommend giving it a miss? Any info always appreciated. 

Cheers. 

It really depends on what you're after...  Its a slow, boring engine with expensive tax and fairly poor fuel economy...  But it is pretty reliable.  Don't forget the 1.0 EcoBoost was also available at the same time, exactly the same 125bhp, but only £30 tax, lighter engine gives better handling, better MPG as well as the 'fun' of boost...I don't really understand who bought the 1.6Ti-VCT new but obviously some did...

In my opinion though (which you are not at all obliged to take!) if you want a bit of power and fun, hold out for a 1.6 EcoBoost, even the 150bhp model is a vast improvement over the Ti-VCT if you can't find a 180.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It really depends on what you're after...  Its a slow, boring engine with expensive tax and fairly poor fuel economy...  But it is pretty reliable.  Don't forget the 1.0 EcoBoost was also available at the same time, exactly the same 125bhp, but only £30 tax, lighter engine gives better handling, better MPG as well as the 'fun' of boost...I don't really understand who bought the 1.6Ti-VCT new but obviously some did...

In my opinion though (which you are not at all obliged to take!) if you want a bit of power and fun, hold out for a 1.6 EcoBoost, even the 150bhp model is a vast improvement over the Ti-VCT if you can't find a 180.

Top one Tom. That's exactly what I aim to do. I was thinking about it yesterday and it'd been arranged for me to go and see it today. But it feels a bit rushed, I'm still doubtful regarding the mileage and a few other things including engine spec etc. 

It's a lot of money to be doubtful with. 

Plus I've felt all the excitement of a slow, boring engine with pretty expensive tax for the last few years in a 2007 1.6. Oh the joys 😂 So definitely wouldn't mind something with a bit of kick behind it. 

Wouldn't be able to be happy knowing every time I start it it's already 100,000 miles plus into it's life. 

It's definitely going to be a patience game as, ideally, I'd like to hold out for a 1.6 EcoBoost 180ps. 2014 model would be great as these are stunning but with a revised chassis, suspension etc. Then again, if it turns out to be a 2012 / 13 or 150ps unit I wouldn't be deterred. 

Cheers TomsFocus I appreciate the help and information you've provided. 

F87

Edited by Focused87
Corrected errors

On 7/5/2019 at 7:56 AM, Focused87 said:

Top one Tom. That's exactly what I aim to do. I was thinking about it yesterday and it'd been arranged for me to go and see it today. But it feels a bit rushed, I'm still doubtful regarding the mileage and a few other things including engine spec etc. 

It's a lot of money to be doubtful with. 

Plus I've felt all the excitement of a slow, boring engine with pretty expensive tax for the last few years in a 2007 1.6. Oh the joys 😂 So definitely wouldn't mind something with a bit of kick behind it. 

Wouldn't be able to be happy knowing every time I start it it's already 100,000 miles plus into it's life. 

It's definitely going to be a patience game as, ideally, I'd like to hold out for a 1.6 EcoBoost 180ps. 2014 model would be great as these are stunning but with a revised chassis, suspension etc. Then again, if it turns out to be a 2012 / 13 or 150ps unit I wouldn't be deterred. 

Cheers TomsFocus I appreciate the help and information you've provided. 

F87

To be fair though, the old N/A 1.6 is tough as old boots like Tom mentioned, mines 13 this year and still runs pretty sweet (minus the current misfires from old spark plugs) and feels a lot more solid than the EcoBoost. Saying that, I’m looking at getting a 2/3 year old MK3.5 1.0 EB next year once I get a proper job so will be an interesting comparison. 

On 7/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, dtulip8 said:

To be fair though, the old N/A 1.6 is tough as old boots like Tom mentioned, mines 13 this year and still runs pretty sweet (minus the current misfires from old spark plugs) and feels a lot more solid than the EcoBoost. Saying that, I’m looking at getting a 2/3 year old MK3.5 1.0 EB next year once I get a proper job so will be an interesting comparison. 

I can second that. 

I have the 2007 with the 1.6 N/A - it is strong and reliable. Quite smooth as well. 

That will be a good comparison to make. Do you think you'll probably fall for the MK 3.5 as it's newer though, updated interior, newer engine feel etc? 

I know I would. I think the updated Focus interiors - maybe 2015 onwards is presented well. I've seen VW / Audi interiors and understand when people make the comparison and say the Focus isn't as upmarket but I genuinely don't mind. I like the Golf GTi / GTD interiors but would still own the Focus over it. 

I'm currently looking at a 2006 ST-2. Would you say the 2.5 that is in that is as reliable as the 1.6 N/A? 

2 hours ago, Focused87 said:

I can second that. 

I have the 2007 with the 1.6 N/A - it is strong and reliable. Quite smooth as well. 

That will be a good comparison to make. Do you think you'll probably fall for the MK 3.5 as it's newer though, updated interior, newer engine feel etc? 

I know I would. I think the updated Focus interiors - maybe 2015 onwards is presented well. I've seen VW / Audi interiors and understand when people make the comparison and say the Focus isn't as upmarket but I genuinely don't mind. I like the Golf GTi / GTD interiors but would still own the Focus over it. 

I'm currently looking at a 2006 ST-2. Would you say the 2.5 that is in that is as reliable as the 1.6 N/A? 

I'll be keeping the old MK2 around when I do get it, so can literally do a back to back road test! I think I'll prefer the MK3.5 in the end, like you say the interior will be nicer, more toys etc (as I'm aiming for a Titanium or Tit X) and having a more responsive engine will be great. But I don't think it'll have the feeling of longevity that the Mk1's and 2's have. I'm also not bothered about how "upmarket" the interior is. It's fine for what it is, a fairly cheap everyday runaround, its not meant to be an S-Class and honestly the MK7 Golf is no nicer inside. The 2.5 is very solid, the only real weakness is the possibilty of cracking the cylinder liners (even unmodified ones go!) so maybe get the block mod done at the same time as the cambelt if that needs doing?

7 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

I'll be keeping the old MK2 around when I do get it, so can literally do a back to back road test! I think I'll prefer the MK3.5 in the end, like you say the interior will be nicer, more toys etc (as I'm aiming for a Titanium or Tit X) and having a more responsive engine will be great. But I don't think it'll have the feeling of longevity that the Mk1's and 2's have. I'm also not bothered about how "upmarket" the interior is. It's fine for what it is, a fairly cheap everyday runaround, its not meant to be an S-Class and honestly the MK7 Golf is no nicer inside. The 2.5 is very solid, the only real weakness is the possibilty of cracking the cylinder liners (even unmodified ones go!) so maybe get the block mod done at the same time as the cambelt if that needs doing?

I'd do the same to be fair if I had somewhere to store one of my vehicles while the other was parked, if I had the money to run both. As I'm looking into an ST it'd be nice to keep the 1.6 so I could treat myself to a drive in the ST now and then - but I think it'll be nice (probably not fuel costs 😂) to have some power in my daily driver. 

The Titanium or Titanium X are top cars I enjoy the thought of having similar features to the Zetec S / ST-Line (Ford Power push start) and the Titanium features themselves eg electric windows in the back as well as the front. Always liked the Titanium model right back to the MK 2. 

I've read the ST is slower than you'd expect and not one for racing at lights. That's fine for me as I just want some power if I require it and would really just like a bit of responsiveness from my engine, not to mention the breathing room it'll have when I hit motorway speeds. The 1.6 I have doesn't seem to have breath at 50 - 60mph. It'll keep going but I always feel like I'm pressuring the engine when I hear it screaming. 

I read online that the 1.6 Naturally Aspirated engine I currently have in the 2007 is known as the 'wheezy engine'. Would you agree with this? It sounds about right (but that's my experience with it having owned a MK 1 Focus 1.6 also) but I'm not knocking its reliability as I'll give credit wherever it's due. 

I hear you about the 1.0 EcoBoost longevity maybe not being the same as the 1.6 Naturally Aspirated. But for as many horror stories I hear and read regarding the EcoBoost Engine range - I've also read it's won a lot of awards and been praised by many. Although I'd take a fellow owner's opinion over an award or an online review. Still, with it being a MK 3.5 you're going for I'd like to think you'd be free of any issues and with any luck you'll be able to relax and enjoy it. 

Definitely agree regarding interiors, I drove my brother's Focus when I was learning how to drive. Over 10 years ago and was a MK 1. They just feel homely to me. I may own something different later on in life but if I currently look at cars. It's a Focus. 

Appreciate the heads up on the ST front, it states water pump and timing belt completed (around 50k) but done when seller got the car so no paperwork. On my post about it I've been informed to assume the work hasn't been done if there's no paperwork. 

So after some research I've read that having the belt and block mod done at the same time is around £700. DreamScience in Hull was mentioned for owners looking for somewhere that can do this work. 

The MK2 will be staying for my brother to learn to drive in it next year, so will be SORN'd for a while. The 1.6 is certainly a "wheezy engine" haha, but it isn't really too bad and at the moment I don't do a lot of motorway mileage so that doesn't worry me too much. 

Again, I agrree that despite the horror stories, the 1.0 is a good engine and the Mk3.5 ironed out the issues that the earlier cars suffered with. I just can't help but feel these 1.0 Turbo triples operate at much higher stresses than a 1.6 N/A 4 pot and so won't last as long overall but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong. 

Yeah that would be a wise move to assume it hasn't been done if no paperwork, and £700 is a fair cost to get the work done. I'd haggle at least £500 off the asking price to take it into account and Dreamscience are a good place to get it done.