Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 focus Clunking noise coming from front wheels.

philp1963

I have a 2001 Focus. At its last MOT it had a warning:-

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint has slight play.

A couple of months after the MOT I started hearing clunking noises coming from the front wheels of the car when I put the steering into full lock.  As I had the above warning I decided to change both of the suspension control arms.  I am not a mechanic but I decided to do this myself.  The replacements went fairly well, although I did have a few problems on the way.  Unfortunately the clunking sounds although different do seem to be still there.  I am wondering if I have done something wrong. I am hoping that someone can help me with a few questions.

1. In a you-tube video (that I followed) the torque settings on the bolts holding the suspension control arms was set to 85 foot lbs.  Was this correct or should some of them be more.  Could this be a cause of the clunking?

2. I did try to jack the wheel up before torquing the nuts, but maybe I should somehow redo them with the car on the ground (full weight on the wheels)(Not sure about access).

3. One thing that really surprised me was that after I had completed the job, I found that I had no foot brake at all.  I thought that I may have somehow damaged the brake pipes or something? But I simply pumped the peddle  a little and they now work fine (Now working completely normally).  What caused that to happen???  I did also change the oil filter and oil before driving on the road.

So my main concern is the noises coming from the front of my car.  Today I drove 20 odd miles with a loaded trailer behind the car.  I have not really worked out when the noises happen.  I think that if I drive over some very uneven road then I will get the noises(especially when turning).  I still think that the noises happen occasionally when I am on full lock.  But also today I thought I could hear a slight whining noise coming from the right wheel when I was pulling the heavy trailer (maybe especially having taken a right bend).  Could this be a wheel bearing?  Does changing one thing sometimes cause other things to fail?

Is there other things that I could try in order to identify whats causing these noises?

To be honest the car is getting on a bit, but I was kinda hoping that I might try and keep it going for a couple more years before i have to get another.  I have had the car over 15 years.  The engine works fine ,  its just everything else that's beginning to fall apart.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

As far as I have seen garages will do it on ramps and pretty much bolt it all on hanging but have seen it being lifted under the control arm but to only fully tighten the bolt below. A wheel bearing would sound more like an aeroplane sound and more worse round roundabouts from experience. I would fist try tightening with that method then if still the same and whilst at it check for play in end links.

IMG_20190704_211521.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies.  I have not got any ramps, but I will jack the car up and put a log under each front wheel to enable me to get at the bolts and tighten them further.  This guy in the video I watched only went to 85?

I am assuming that I should loosen all the bolts first and then follow the torque sequence instructions and tighten them back up.  Hopefully the noise will go away.

Again thanks for your welcome advice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philp1963 said:

Thanks for your replies.  I have not got any ramps, but I will jack the car up and put a log under each front wheel to enable me to get at the bolts and tighten them further.  This guy in the video I watched only went to 85?

I am assuming that I should loosen all the bolts first and then follow the torque sequence instructions and tighten them back up.  Hopefully the noise will go away.

Again thanks for your welcome advice.

It’s a process of elimination get the tightening sequence  and torque settings correct and take it from there👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update,  I jacked the car up again and then let the car down so that the control arms were taking the weight.  I loosened the bolts and tightened them again using the above sequence.  Unfortunately one front bolt (drivers side), tightened to 89 pound foot but only showed 100 pound foot after extra 90 degrees.  I needed the car and so was in a bit of a hurry when I was doing this, but I think that the nut&bolt has a problem.  So when I get around to it, I will get a new nut & bolt and try again.

The noise still happens, but is definitely less often.  Its a dam nuisance, because every time I tinker with this, I have to remove the underneath engine cover.  Anyway I will try again as soon as I have time.  Do I have to go to Ford to get a new nut & bolt?  Or should I just go to a breakers yard and try and grab an old one.  I know, I'm meant to use new.

Thanks everyone for your help

59 minutes ago, philp1963 said:

tightened to 89 pound foot but only showed 100 pound foot after extra 90 degrees. 

These angle tightening sequences are usually intended to stress the bolt into plastic (permanent) deformation. This hardens the bolt, and gives maximum strength, but only once. A 90deg turn with little torque increase suggests a cracked or weakened bolt. I would replace it with a new one from a reliable source (not necessarily a Ford francised dealer) ASAP.

Droning noises from the front that change intensity on bends usually show a wheel bearing problem is starting, but this type of bearing can make this noise for 1000's of miles with no other physical symptoms. Check occasionally for any play in the wheel.

Lack of initial braking may just mean the pads & pistons had got pushed back somehow during the work. It would take a couple of brake pedal depressions to regain braking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, philp1963 said:

Just as an update,  I jacked the car up again and then let the car down so that the control arms were taking the weight.  I loosened the bolts and tightened them again using the above sequence.  Unfortunately one front bolt (drivers side), tightened to 89 pound foot but only showed 100 pound foot after extra 90 degrees.  I needed the car and so was in a bit of a hurry when I was doing this, but I think that the nut&bolt has a problem.  So when I get around to it, I will get a new nut & bolt and try again.

The noise still happens, but is definitely less often.  Its a dam nuisance, because every time I tinker with this, I have to remove the underneath engine cover.  Anyway I will try again as soon as I have time.  Do I have to go to Ford to get a new nut & bolt?  Or should I just go to a breakers yard and try and grab an old one.  I know, I'm meant to use new.

Thanks everyone for your help

If I knew I was going to revisit the front underside to do work I would leave the under-tray off.Do you have the dimensions  of the bolt you need?I have some OEM suspension bolts in the garage and could post them out to you if I have them.Like Peter said my money is on the wheel bearing or cv joint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's a clonking/knocking sound as you go round bends, it could be the droplinks need replacing.  One either side between anti roll bar and wishbone/strut. Had to do this several times over the 12 years I had a mk1 focus. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, F0CUE said:

As far as I have seen garages will do it on ramps and pretty much bolt it all on hanging but have seen it being lifted under the control arm but to only fully tighten the bolt below. A wheel bearing would sound more like an aeroplane sound and more worse round roundabouts from experience. I would fist try tightening with that method then if still the same and whilst at it check for play in end links.

IMG_20190704_211521.jpg

I've just had the lower ball joint and wishbone replaced as in the photo after suffering with a loud clunking/knocking coming from the left front for some time. Strangely, it made no noise at speeds over roughly 35 mph. There was also no noise under acceleration or braking, but it was awful at slower speeds on poor roads. It's all sorted now thankfully. Cost me 60 quid for parts and labour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevesixty7 said:

I've just had the lower ball joint and wishbone replaced as in the photo after suffering with a loud clunking/knocking coming from the left front for some time. Strangely, it made no noise at speeds over roughly 35 mph. There was also no noise under acceleration or braking, but it was awful at slower speeds on poor roads. It's all sorted now thankfully. Cost me 60 quid for parts and labour.

I should add, sorry, that the price was from a mechanic friend of mine. The parts are almost 40 quid. I don't mind paying that sort of money for him to do the work. How much in a regular garage, I don't know.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club