Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is interfering with my FM radio?

StephenFord

Recently, I am getting alot of interference on my FM radio when the engine is running, also the station sometimes drops completely. When the engine is off, the reception is crystal clear which leads me away from thinking the radio is faulty . I have not had nay 'accessory' installed since this started, so get the feeling that a component within the car is causing the fault, but have no idea how to diagnose. Any advice or pointers on where to start?

Is there a coil suppressor on these?  If so, they often get damaged when plugs or coilpacks are changed which can lead to radio interference, won't cause any running issues though.

45 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is there a coil suppressor on these?  If so, they often get damaged when plugs or coilpacks are changed which can lead to radio interference, won't cause any running issues though.

Can these just 'wear out'? They haven't been touched under my ownership of the car...

5G mobile rubbish    FM original kill date (as in total switch off) with DAB taking over was 2012.... they bottled it and decided to go to 2015 and bottled that,

since then 4G and now 5G has come in and messed everything up... now they just turn the signal strength to nothing plus 1/4 of a % 

monitoring slaves = added value, allowing you to enjoy life = why, that's not the agenda !!!

• Like 1

I remember signing an online petition to stop the 2012 changeover! The thing about FM is that even in a fairly weak signal area, you can still listen to it, whereas DAB is either on or off. I'm not that precious about sound quality in a car. But then again, you're talking to someone that was quite happy to watch Z Cars on a B&W portable with a coat hanger for an aerial, and an effect called 'ghosting' which young'uns would recoil in horror to! I still enjoyed it LOL

• Haha 1

The main reason FM was not turned off is because DAB+ was supposed to come online fully a few years back but problems concerning signal propagation and lack of reverse compatability with standard DAB receivers mucked it all up.
I'm sure cost has also played a big part in the lack of switchover.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Can these just 'wear out'? They haven't been touched under my ownership of the car...

Not really, but they tend to have a really thin wire that gets snapped when the coilpack is removed for any reason.  As I say though, not sure if they have them on more modern cars, they were all broken on the 90s Peugeots I owned! 

• Like 1

Mine keeps changing to classic FM when I turn on the engine so ***** annoying especially when it's loud what a minter ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Mine keeps changing to classic FM when I turn on the engine so ***** annoying especially when it's loud what a minter ☺️

Wish my car was as cultured! LOL

• Haha 2