Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con Cleaner

DG97

Hello all, 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good air con cleaner? Something that will actually kill bacteria in the air con system and remove the slightly nasty smell that appears every now and then rather than simply masking it. 

Tried using an Auto Glym air con cleaner as it was on offer once but that really just came up with a strong chemical smell but didnt actually seem to disinfect and get rid of the smell from the AC. 

Thanks in advance!

Wurth air con cleaner. Comes with a long tube and spray nozzle. You put tube up the Aircon drain pipe so the cleaner actually sprays in the area of evaporator. Half a can more than enough . 

1560791754029178207511.thumb.jpg.34c952b9b13cf3c0014303323319cfc8.jpg

Another trick is to turn it off a few miles before you stop.  Everything gets hot, and kills off any bacteria.

As per the previous comment I also switch off the air con about 5 minutes before I arrive at my destination. I leave the blower fan running though so it dries out the evaporator. If it's not damp when switched off it won't get smelly. 

24 minutes ago, iantt said:

Wurth air con cleaner. Comes with a long tube and spray nozzle. You put tube up the Aircon drain pipe so the cleaner actually sprays in the area of evaporator. Half a can more than enough . 

1560791754029178207511.thumb.jpg.34c952b9b13cf3c0014303323319cfc8.jpg

Sweet, thank you! 

Do you know where abouts the drain pipe might be on the MK8? 

No, I don't unfortunately. If you can't find the drain, I would remove the pollen filter and blast it in that way

• Like 1

Well , the air con condensation water drips out underneath on the n/s over a heatsheild . So my guess is n/s inside car behind this panel where you might find pipe

15625747791481524102102.jpg

Funny in the last 20 years or so ive never had a smelly aircon system, thats in the last 3 mondeos and my current c-max, aircon set tomauto and never turned off, my mileage is quite high 22k per year and the car rarely does short runs, I wonder if thats what makes a difference.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Funny in the last 20 years or so ive never had a smelly aircon system,  aircon set to auto and never turned off

Neither have I, and I always leave it on auto at 18c as I've mentioned elsewhere. I used to do 20-30k a year but now I'm down to 7-8k still no issue, though like you I never do short trips. Or perhaps we've just got a poor sense of smell!😀

• Like 1

I sometimes get a smell from mine but its only run 5 mins a week or when it's hot. so could be the reason. if I leave it on auto does the ac run all the time or only when needed? I tend to keep it off in town to reduce fuel consumption. but if auto switched it off when not needed am I wasting my time?

Short trips or using the AC permanently shouldn't really make any difference.  When you park the evaporator will still be damp and ultimately it's that dampness that causes the mould and bacteria.  :unsure: