Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bleed brakes

F0CUE

Ok so bought the Gunson easy bleed and will do bleeding the brakes tomoz would of been today but had a spec issue so had to go to Specsavers. What I need to know is what size is the hex on the nipples is it same on front and rear or different? Note my rear is crappy brake drums I know the nipple is on the cylinder.

3 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Ok so bought the Gunson easy bleed and will do bleeding the brakes tomoz would of been today but had a spec issue so had to go to Specsavers. What I need to know is what size is the hex on the nipples is it same on front and rear or different? Note my rear is crappy brake drums I know the nipple is on the cylinder.

Front is 9 or 10 mm, rear is 8mm iirc. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Front is 9 or 10 mm, rear is 8mm iirc. 🙂

Thanks that's random they have to be awkward lol

• Like 1

Just now, F0CUE said:

Anyone got a large gazeebo? 😭

I thought the Scot's were hard, surely you're not bothered by a bit of drizzle? 😮 :tongue: 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I thought the Scot's were hard, surely you're not bothered by a bit of drizzle? 😮 :tongue: 

I'm practically a stone throw from the sea so it's even worse I got soaked when doing the last job my specs get wet and makes it very annoying lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For £40 i paid Ford to do it, got car valeted +health check too whilst it was there! The drum nipple is on the rear of the drum isn't it?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Micro said:

For £40 i paid Ford to do it, got car valeted +health check too whilst it was there! The drum nipple is on the rear of the drum isn't it?

Sounds good for the price yeh the nipple is at the top back it's part of the cylinder.

134750238.jpg

2 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Anyone got a large gazeebo? 😭

Get your kilt on and get out there 😜 

Yeah they are annoying; i've got a set of flare nut spanners for them now which are helpful and less chance of rounding the nut.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Get your kilt on and get out there 😜 

Yeah they are annoying; i've got a set of flare nut spanners for them now which are helpful and less chance of rounding the nut.

That will be my luck total round off then having to get new nipple.

Kwik Fit did 2014 ST for 39.99 yesterday, Took it  thier after getting calipers powder coated while off the car, I fitted new seals on the fronts. Tried myself to bleed the system the old way, with the ezi bleed system and a pressure bleeder but the brakes were still not a patch on their usual "feel". I usually use Ford to change fluid, but needed it done yesterday, so Kwik fit did it the same way Ford do, on  the diagnostic machine and with full health check and new fluid. Brakes are now spot on again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efiste2 said:

Kwik Fit did 2014 ST for 39.99 yesterday, Took it  thier after getting calipers powder coated while off the car, I fitted new seals on the fronts. Tried myself to bleed the system the old way, with the ezi bleed system and a pressure bleeder but the brakes were still not a patch on their usual "feel". I usually use Ford to change fluid, but needed it done yesterday, so Kwik fit did it the same way Ford do, on  the diagnostic machine and with full health check and new fluid. Brakes are now spot on again

Well I'll try my best before going down that route 😀

I reckon I somehow managed to get air into the system, and although you can use Forscan to bleed the system, for £40 they did a good job, plus the chap who did the job is an ST owner himself, and knows his Fords

• Like 2

I've used a pressure bleeder on both our cars (Sealey), found it very good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, efiste2 said:

I reckon I somehow managed to get air into the system, and although you can use Forscan to bleed the system, for £40 they did a good job, plus the chap who did the job is an ST owner himself, and knows his Fords

Well done on finding the only decent technician in the whole Company! 😁  Fair play in not leaving the brakes as they were, some people would have to save £40.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Well done on finding the only decent technician in the whole Company! 😁  

Definitely this...  I'll never forget my first experience with KF 10 years ago...  They failed to bleed the system properly even on a poverty spec, non-ABS car leaving me with virtually no brakes and telling me the new drum cylinder had to 'bed in'...  I'd only been driving a few weeks at the time, almost crashed into a BMW leaving the centre as the brakes were so much worse than before, the brake warning light came on half way home and I checked the reservoir to find it empty!  Took the car back and they re-bled it, saying they'd never had it happen before.  Still felt worse than with the leaky cylinder and I ended up taking it to another garage to be adjusted in the end.  Needless to say I've not been back since!  They might be able to fit tyres but I wouldn't trust them with anything else.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Definitely this...  I'll never forget my first experience with KF 10 years ago...  They failed to bleed the system properly even on a poverty spec, non-ABS car leaving me with virtually no brakes and telling me the new drum cylinder had to 'bed in'...  I'd only been driving a few weeks at the time, almost crashed into a BMW leaving the centre as the brakes were so much worse than before, the brake warning light came on half way home and I checked the reservoir to find it empty!  Took the car back and they re-bled it, saying they'd never had it happen before.  Still felt worse than with the leaky cylinder and I ended up taking it to another garage to be adjusted in the end.  Needless to say I've not been back since!  They might be able to fit tyres but I wouldn't trust them with anything else.

My one and only experience with KF 20 years ago was when I owned a XR2 rolled into one of their garages in desperation due to brake failure.After replacing discs pads and bleeding the system I was presented with a bill of nearly £500 what!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:04 AM, williamweb said:

My one and only experience with KF 20 years ago was when I owned a XR2 rolled into one of their garages in desperation due to brake failure.After replacing discs pads and bleeding the system I was presented with a bill of nearly £500 what!

Yeah I recall I had to take out one of their membership schemes running at the time and pay in instalments 😂

• Haha 1

A little off topic so my apologies now😬

I've just had 3 year old Mokka X in with ‘handbrake issues’. Drove it myself and sure enough, something not right.

first step in the process is to strip both rear brakes and inspect. Both side the pads were absolutely solid in the carriers! One pad on each wheel the lining come apart itself and one pad on the drivers side had a massive chunk missing like someone had battered it with a screwdriver before. This car had only just been in at the dealer to have this problem looked at! When asked what the problem was they were simply told, it just needed adjusted!! Btw it’s fixed now. 

5BF38774-5534-48CF-894A-5CD1D461AB81.png

61CD1246-3451-4E5B-BDFA-1C0BAA937D82.png

BFC589F0-86D0-47B4-88CC-E493C85D3955.png

F11F8213-6EAC-4763-835C-EC98C340C7A0.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, stef123 said:

A little off topic so my apologies now😬

I've just had 3 year old Mokka X in with ‘handbrake issues’. Drove it myself and sure enough, something not right.

first step in the process is to strip both rear brakes and inspect. Both side the pads were absolutely solid in the carriers! One pad on each wheel the lining come apart itself and one pad on the drivers side had a massive chunk missing like someone had battered it with a screwdriver before. This car had only just been in at the dealer to have this problem looked at! When asked what the problem was they were simply told, it just needed adjusted!! Btw it’s fixed now. 

5BF38774-5534-48CF-894A-5CD1D461AB81.png

61CD1246-3451-4E5B-BDFA-1C0BAA937D82.png

BFC589F0-86D0-47B4-88CC-E493C85D3955.png

F11F8213-6EAC-4763-835C-EC98C340C7A0.png

Well done! Done my brakes not long ago never had so much trouble with nipples in my life and still to do a test drive just got cleaned up wish me luck lol.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, stef123 said:

I've just had 3 year old Mokka X in with ‘handbrake issues’.

Kept near the coast? Not being a mechanic, but I wouldn't expect that much wear/etc from 3 years? Are they using cheap ***** parts from the factory?

9 hours ago, Micro said:

Kept near the coast? Not being a mechanic, but I wouldn't expect that much wear/etc from 3 years? Are they using cheap ***** parts from the factory?

Not sure where it came from tbh but they are made of cheap crap.

• Like 1