Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hatch Struts.

jace1969

Just had some new Hatch struts from  SGS engineering but they work the same as my old struts so i ask the question.

Its a 2011 Titanium and if you lift your Hatch say half way or head high and loose the hatch does it lift as mine dont on the 2 sets,i push it just above head high and it lifts.

So need advice on others on here if theres does the same as i read on one reply a few months on here that they shoot up when you lift the hatch,do these need wearing in or something.

It sounds like one of the struts has failed. My original struts lift unassisted 3/4 of the way.

What i never knew that there is adjustment on the struts when fitted,you screw the strut to wind it in and out and seems a lot better so could be wearing in and adjustment.

As for failed strut they are new like a few hours old and only fitted today.

Ok after giving them a try and adjusted then by twisting them these are just useless and no way can be used.

Lift the hatch and its like lifting up a ton of dead weight then it gets just above half way and slowley lifts so on the phone in a while as these are complete rubbish.

8 year old ford ones on from new are smoother and better.

...Update after ringigng ......leave them for 2 weeks if no better person will look into the problem....person set up a case saying i rang them.

Im going to try my own mod and if dont work its ony £6 i have lost,as i have a spare set of struts im going to try the auto open with some springs that i have ordered.

Will let you know if it works as measured a lot of stuff and the compress lenth etc so we will see.

Sounds like they're not rated for the weight. SGS Engineering are normally spot on - what weight/force does it list on the strut?

I bought some new ones from eBay but they have minimal damping towards the end, so when it gets to the end of the hatchbacks travel it "bounces". They've calmed down now after a bit of use.

19 hours ago, Micro said:

Sounds like they're not rated for the weight. SGS Engineering are normally spot on - what weight/force does it list on the strut?

I bought some new ones from eBay but they have minimal damping towards the end, so when it gets to the end of the hatchbacks travel it "bounces". They've calmed down now after a bit of use.

Well i had a good talk to a woman on there and gave part number and they have done a case to say i rang and said give it a good 2 weeks to bed in and free up so time will tell.

Seem like there getting there but SGS are a dam good place and all good i have heard so going on that i will give them time.

The spring to open it Auto is just me having a play about see what i can do and i know the problems i might have but looked into it a bit.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:24 PM, jace1969 said:

Im going to try my own mod and if dont work its ony £6 i have lost,as i have a spare set of struts im going to try the auto open with some springs that i have ordered.

Will let you know if it works as measured a lot of stuff and the compress lenth etc so we will see.

There’s a thread on here somewhere about doing this. It was damaging struts and/or anchor points. Have a search  before you try yourself. 

There’s a thread on here somewhere about doing this. It was damaging struts and/or anchor points. Have a search  before you try yourself. 
I have had a look but can't see a thread on here saying damaging anything,I have a spare pair but cheers for the advice.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club