Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Mondeo starting issue

Virtual_JC

Hi All,

I am having a starting issue with my 2009 1.8 TDCI Mondeo.

The car used to be a right pig to start (used to take up to 11 times waiting for the heater/glow plug light to go out and then cranking the car over), and last week let me down - had the AA out and got it running with 2 sprays of easy start into the air intake somewhere while I turned the engine over with the key. Parked on a hill and was able to start it and get it to the garage the next day. The garage found that the seal in the fuel filter housing was fitted incorrectly - resolved that - no air bubbles in the diesel now.

- the garage also did a fuel pressure test - and said that there were no issues there - holding 6 bar pressure.

Now the car ticks over and doesn't start on the first attempt, then fires on the 2nd attempt.

Once the car is started, it runs just fine, is not down on power, has never cut out once running, has no flat spots, and gets good MPG.

It is very annoying and seems like it could be something simple to set right.

So - 225000ish KMs on the clock.

A few things done over the past few months:

- New fuel filter and seals last week - much better and actually starts now.

- New glow plugs fitted about a month ago - same after this

- Starting motor changed for a different motor about 2 months ago - not new, but a pre-loved one.

- Hose from the fuel filter housing replaced about 2 months ago - as it looked bad.

As this is hard to illustrate with text - I have taken some videos in the hope that someone will be able to help me out or have had a similar issue:

Please be patient with me- I am not a mechanic :D

Thanks, John.

Might sound a daft question but when you park the car are you parking it on a incline of any sort?

Its sounding like that there is not enough fuel in the chamber for the glowplug to heat up and turn the car over.

If you are parking it on a incline make sure the facing downhill and see what happens then.  I had a similar issue in my MK4 never managed to get it resolved though.  But i also starting putting diesel injector cleaner in the tank as well.

So could be a combination of the 2.

Hope that is of some help

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the reply.

There is a slight incline on my driveway alright - but it has happened when ive been backed in (car is pointed slightly uphill) and also driven in (car slightly facing downwards).

At work, I am usually pointed downwards - so I have the slope in case it won't start :D

This is something that I will keep an eye on though.

I will try the diesel injector cleaner at next fill up as well.

Thanks, John.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club