Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ways to strengthen MK3 Ford Focus parcel shelf

Shoxt3r

Hi all,

So I've owned my 2013 Ford Focus for about 2 years now but unfortunately after the parcel shelf unclipped itself while loading the boot, it slipped through the back, and after I tried pulling it back through the shelf bent and caused a weakness in the middle (on the seat side). Also as a result one of the clips pulled off so it no longer stays in place when you open the boot lid.

I've managed to solve the clips problem easily - I've just ordered a pack from eBay for about a fiver. However, is there a way I can strengthen the parcel shelf itself?
It's not completely split but there is a noticeable weak point in the middle now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Shoxt3r said:

Hi all,

So I've owned my 2013 Ford Focus for about 2 years now but unfortunately after the parcel shelf unclipped itself while loading the boot, it slipped through the back, and after I tried pulling it back through the shelf bent and caused a weakness in the middle (on the seat side). Also as a result one of the clips pulled off so it no longer stays in place when you open the boot lid.

I've managed to solve the clips problem easily - I've just ordered a pack from eBay for about a fiver. However, is there a way I can strengthen the parcel shelf itself?
It's not completely split but there is a noticeable weak point in the middle now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

glue some thin mdf undernerneath

• Like 1

Probably easier to just find a decent second-hand replacement.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Probably easier to just find a decent second-hand replacement.

Indeed, then use the old 'used car' trick of a couple of coats of satin black, it'll look like new...

• Like 2

Yeah just replace it completely - MK3 parts aren't hard to come by now and something like that will be relatively cheap on eBay etc.

4 minutes ago, Criot said:

Yeah just replace it completely - MK3 parts aren't hard to come by now and something like that will be relatively cheap on ebay etc.

Wow, out of interest, just searched for one for my Mk2 (don't need one, just curious) and you can get one for about £20. However, go to a Mk3 and they leap to £70! I increasingly like the idea of gluing a scrap of MDF then spraying satin black LOL

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Wow, out of interest, just searched for one for my Mk2 (don't need one, just curious) and you can get one for about £20. However, go to a Mk3 and they leap to £70!

The MK3 ones are pretty much all broken, good used ones are expensive because they're hard to find despite being such a common car!  I don't know what people are doing with them (presumably the same as the OP!) but if you start looking at Mk3 ads with a boot picture you'll see the majority have that snap in the middle, or missing clips at the back.

• Like 1

If it’s the same as the mk3.5, then it’s probably because you can’t just pull it out like normal. You have to push it into the car over the back seats then turn it and remove from boot opening endways. Some people probably get a little rough when it doesn’t come straight out, I know I tried until I got the hang of it.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club