Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Car - Ecoboost 100bhp or 125bhp?

KramH

Looking at buying my son a Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost for his first car.

I appreciate it depends on the driver, but do you think 125bhp is too much power for a first car - thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

how old is he? have you checked out insurance cost? I always think first car should be something old where it's not the end of the world if he scrapes the wing down a car park concrete pillar. This is assuming he has not had a lot of experience of driving other peoples cars after passing his test.

Yes I should have mentioned his age - 17 years old.

Insurance is affordable on 125bhp, but just concerned too fast.

I was just looking back at a car I built up to after 5 years of driving  - Peogeot 205 1.6 GTI - that only had 115bhp!!

23 minutes ago, KramH said:

Looking at buying my son a Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost for his first car.

I appreciate it depends on the driver, but do you think 125bhp is too much power for a first car - thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

Hi the 125 bhp all day

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

My first car has been a 125 PS ecoboost; got it in Jan this year. At 23 years of age, I do, perhaps, feel it is a little quick - sub 10 seconds to 60 is quite nippy, but I don't hammer it. In a way, I feel a little safer with a quicker car when pulling out etc.

I would suggest getting a 100 PS version, since he always has the opportunity to remap it in the future once he's learned how to drive (i.e. properly drive, not pass a test). For a 17/18 year old, it's probably a little too quick

What will make more of a difference to him is the aero kit of the Zetec S - see if you can find a 100 PS version with it installed 🙂 Looks very smart in my opinion.

Edit: For me, insurance was about £30 difference between the 125 and 100 versions 🙂

• Like 1

125bhp every time.  I test drove both and the 125 is just nicer to drive, it's not a huge amount of power difference but if the insurance difference isn't significant I would choose the slightly more powerful.

EDIT:  DG and Nick make a good point, one which I had missed.  I'd recommend the 100bhp in that situation.  A little less power, while still remaining responsive, would be better in a first car for a youngster.

Edited by tef89
Changed my mind.

I’d always say the 125bhp but... in the case of a newly qualified 17 year old driver, I would say a 100bhp would be a “better” option as it’s a little bit slower yet remains punchy enough. By no means would the 125bhp be difficult to handle or anything like that but I had a 95bhp car for my first car and felt that it was steady enough to gain driving experience and was never powerful enough to allow me to do stupid stuff which as a 17 year old - we’re all tempted to do 😉 

• Like 2

Personally I'd say something without a turbo would be better for a newly qualified driver (unless they learned in a car with turbo). 
I've been driving 17 years and now drive a 140bhp fiesta and I still get caught out sometimes by the turbo kicking in and the response the car has.
If it has to be something with an EB engine then the 100bhp should be fine.

I would definitely recommend having a black box fitted for a new driver, purely for the reasons stated by DG97. 

• Like 1

We have the 100hp ecoboost.  It's actually not that slow now it has a few thousand miles on the engine, and crucially it is enjoyable to drive, it handles well and the engine has a satisfying growl that will appeal.

It has a decent amount of torque so can cope with the car being loaded but it's never going to be a performance car.

But because it's only mildly turboed it doesnt catch you out when you put your foot down and doesn't get to licence-losing speeds straightaway.

I'd say it was a good first car, it has enough power not to be boring but not too much to overwhelm an inexperience driver.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

You have confirmed my thoughts that the 100bhp is the better option for a first car.

Drove both yesterday and thought the 100bhp was plenty quick enough, especially as there was three of us in the car. 

Great little cars to drive - I would have loved one of those for my first car!

If he builds 3 years NCD and keeps a clean license then I have told him we will help him move to something a little more sporty - hopefully this will incentivise him to behave! 

I don't like black boxes and don't trust them either - he will never comply and only make things worse!  Also if I drive it...!  :whistling:

I will be looking for a low mileage 2013-16 Zetec S in white - not that many good ones around. Quite surprised how many of these have not been serviced!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KramH said:

Great little cars to drive - I would have loved one of those for my first car!

Me too! I started out with a ratty 850 Mini with all of 34 bhp😀

I do tend to agree with the guys who suggest a non-turbo car to start with though, not necessarily because of the power but it is a good way to learn best use of gears etc and they can be a lot of fun, though not that many non-turbo cars around these days. My Mrs had a 1.25 Fiesta for several years and, though obviously not as quick as the ecoboost, I really enjoyed driving it.

I have supplied my daughter with a 50bhp VW Lupo 1 litre (with a radio casette player in it). Fine for around town but a bit scary merging into a busy motorway.

with the My Key feature on fiestas you can program the 2nd key with a max speed and a max radio volume. But it wont reduce sudden aceleration going round corners on wet road etc.  I do not know what year this feature was added. My 2015 Fiesta Style has it, at least I think it does, I have never tried programming it.

My first car was a Morris Marina 1.8TC, with I believe 99bhp.  

Drum brakes, leaf springs, zero safety features.

How did we all survive?  😁

• Like 1

Just now, Guy Heaton said:

I had one of those along the way and also lived to tell the tale!😀 It was the MG B engine but bizarrely as the Marina was lighter (or flimsier!) than the B it was slightly quicker (in a straight line at least, I remember cornering was, er, interesting).

I think the front brakes were discs, but not very effective as I recall, basically the suspension - front torsion bars and lever arm dampers, rear cart springs - was as per Morris Minor.

3 hours ago, KramH said:

I will be looking for a low mileage 2013-16 Zetec S in white - not that many good ones around

I think the Zetec S is 125 PS only 🙂

1 hour ago, Cameron583 said:

I think the Zetec S is 125 PS only 🙂

Maybe that is why there are not that many around! :laugh:

I am also looking at tthe ST-Line 100bhp :thumbsup:

I would 100% go with the 125bhp,i don't have one but i would never go under that if i did and been in a few even the Focus being a larger car is fine.

As for 17 and power there very nippy but not over the top so should be fine.

Just now, KramH said:

Maybe that is why there are not that many around! :laugh:

I am also looking at tthe ST-Line 100bhp :thumbsup:

The good thing is, whichever Fiesta you go for, at least you will know that the brakes and handling are light years ahead of the kind of thing Guy and I mentioned earlier in the thread!😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Drum brakes, leaf springs, zero safety features.

How did we all survive?  😁

Mine was a Standard Vanguard, about 28 bhp i think , safety features where yourself.

12 hours ago, KramH said:

Yes I should have mentioned his age - 17 years old.

Insurance is affordable on 125bhp, but just concerned too fast.

I was just looking back at a car I built up to after 5 years of driving  - Peogeot 205 1.6 GTI - that only had 115bhp!!

Honestly the 125 isn't a huge amount faster in real terms than the 100. It's noticible, but only works out as around 1-2s difference in 0-60 if you're flooring it. However, I much preferred my own 125 (now remapped too) to the 100 courtesy car I had for a few days. 

If he's somewhat sensible I'd say the 125 just as it's a bit more responsive and feels nicer. 

• Like 1

id go for the 125. if your concerned about safe driving you can activate mykey for the key the new driver will use to control functions like seatbelt minder max radio volume and top speed 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cjay1 said:

id go for the 125. if your concerned about safe driving you can activate mykey for the key the new driver will use to control functions like seatbelt minder max radio volume and top speed 

That's sounds like a good option - how do i know if a car has that feature?

When was it introduced and on what models?

Should be on all Mk7's onward from 2013

• Thanks 1

I got mine at 18 years old and it is a 100hp variant it will be plenty enough speed wise and safe enough to ensure he won’t crash it. I have had it for 3.5 years now and I love it but am now finding that I want something a bit more responsive as I am on the motorway a lot but I would recommend the 100hp for him 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club