Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Car - Ecoboost 100bhp or 125bhp?

KramH

Hi

can anybody advise on the new 85ps diesel I have just test driven the 1ltr ecoboost and it was nippy enough but on the test drive was only returning 40mpg and not 49 as ford states, the salesman said only to expect 50mpg out of the diesel unit is this correct?

I was a little late to the driving scene and went with a 100bhp Zetec in 2014 only to jump up to an ST in 2015.

I would go with the 125bhp if the difference in insurance is negligible and setup the MyKey to limit the speed.

Someone mentioned earlier about going with a 100bhp then re-mapping it to 125bhp later on. I don't see how this would be better as you'd have to declare it as a modification and I would have thought that a young driver with a modification would probably make the insurance quote higher than just getting the factory standard 125bhp from the start.

• Like 1

Oh and if you're looking at a second hand Mk7.5, keep an eye out for rust on the turbo pipes of the earlier year cars:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mikeyboy3 said:

Hi

can anybody advise on the new 85ps diesel I have just test driven the 1ltr ecoboost and it was nippy enough but on the test drive was only returning 40mpg and not 49 as ford states, the salesman said only to expect 50mpg out of the diesel unit is this correct?

It's probably better to start your own thread for opinions on the diesel.  If you're doing a lot of stop start town driving or short trips there's not likely to be much in it, the diesel will only be noticeably better on longer drives.  

7 minutes ago, Zico said:

...and setup the MyKey to limit the speed.

A few have mentioned MyKey but I really can't see the point.  In todays traffic you're lucky to hit 75mph, if it was a 10% limiter linked to GPS (so 33mph max in a 30 zone for example) then I'd understand but a single speed limiter isn't going to stop 99% of accidents imo. :unsure: 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

A few have mentioned MyKey but I really can't see the point.  In todays traffic you're lucky to hit 75mph, if it was a 10% limiter linked to GPS (so 33mph max in a 30 zone for example) then I'd understand but a single speed limiter isn't going to stop 99% of accidents imo. :unsure: 

I agree, but this is the only option if the OP is concerned about speed. A black box would be more of a deterrent to speed overall but OP's already ruled that out. To be honest, I put the the MyKey limit on once just to see how it worked and that was it. It's pretty pointless as you say.

Thank you for the replies.

Decided on the 100 bhp - plenty fast enough for a first time driver.  Provided he behaves himself I will help him upgrade in the future.

Pic of car (2016 1.0 Ecoboost ST Line) collected today - birthday tomorrow - very lucky boy!

Thanks again 👍

IMG_2330.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KramH said:

Thank you for the replies!

Decided on the 100 bhp - plenty fast enough for first time driver.  Provided he behaves himself I will help him upgrade in the future.

Pic of car (2016 1.0 Ecoboost ST Line) collected today - birthday tomorrow - very lucky boy!

Thanks again!

IMG_2330.jpg

Good choice and a good find! Looks great, your son is quite lucky getting that as a first car! 😉

• Like 1

My dad never bought me a car but when I was 16 and a half he bought me a 2 yr old sports moped, Suzuki AP50 ,  unrestricted as registered before 01 Aug 1977, about 48mph. Funny thing was, at the time I didn't really want it and was scared to ride it, but soon changed my mind. My friends wanted sports mopeds and their parents wouldn't let them have one because they were 'dangerous'. Actually i think the restricted 30mph ones are potentially more dangerous as you can't keep up with normal traffic and get pushed into the gutter.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, isetta said:

My dad never bought me a car but when I was 16 and a half he bought me a 2 yr old sports moped, Suzuki AP50 ,  unrestricted as registered before 01 Aug 1977, about 48mph. Funny thing was, at the time I didn't really want it and was scared to ride it, but soon changed my mind. My friends wanted sports mopeds and their parents wouldn't let them have one because they were 'dangerous'. Actually i think the restricted 30mph ones are potentially more dangerous as you can't keep up with normal traffic and get pushed into the gutter.

I also had an AP50 when I was 16 (one of many bikes when 16/17), mine was the metallic red all original including the pedals. They are worth a fortune now!

My ex-brother in law had the equivalent FS1E Yamaha back then - he was 6ft 2in and looked ridiculous! I refused to have a go - later he had a string of Kawasaki triples which I was happier to try!