Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise whilst accelerating

geepee8375

Hi everyone, when I accelerate and move through the gears I get what sounds like a huge intake of air until I stop accelerating. When I hit my desired speed the sound stops completely and I get the usual driving/engine noise. Any ideas what this could be and how easy and cheaply I can get it sorted? I'm no kind of mechanic so please go easy on me.

Thanks in advance.

Which engine? Does it do it only when you change through gears? Do you have an aftermarket air filter?

Sounds like it’s a diesel with a spilt turbo hose, or a hole in the intercooler. 

• Like 1

It's a 1.8 tdci. Good guess there Matt92. My guess is its turbo related because I'm now losing power intermittently. Not sure about the air filter.

Someone else will know more than me, but I think there is a common hose that splits on that engine. Hopefully someone will be along shortly, if not you’ll have to try looking and feeling around while some one revs the engine. Trouble is you can’t always get it to play ball when it’s in neutral, needs to be under load to give you the full boost.

my pipe went and it was the  INTERCOOLER TURBO HOSE down behind the right driver light

pipe.jpg

that's the one I done when I had my boost leak

inter.jpg

Whilst driving home tonight and accelerating it was obviously still making the noise, got to 65 (really slowly as well) and it flashed up engine malfunction. I've not had that before. Also it just didn't have any power or acceleration at all at some points, like the fuel wasn't being burnt properly. I put 40 pounds worth of fuel in yesterday, enough for 500 miles I've done 70 since then and the car has lost over a 100 miles of fuel. Do you think this is all linked? Sorry to ask so much, I'm a bit screwed and desperate here. Thanks

Best off getting a diagnostic test done 

I think more than likely it will be a spilt hose, if you’re losing boost pressure, you’ll be down on power and running a car that isn’t running properly is never going to be as fuel efficient. 

Thanks guys I really appreciate you pointing me a good direction. I might just set it on fire however

Check the metal boost pipe, prone to cracking around the bracket on the 1.8TDCi.  

• Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 9:32 AM, geepee8375 said:

when I accelerate and move through the gears I get what sounds like a huge intake of air until I stop accelerating. When I hit my desired speed the sound stops completely

+1 for burst hose or cracked pipe. There are quite a few possible culprits, the diagram from David (lasthope) is a rough guide, but not accurate for the 1.8TDCI. The 90deg big rubber hose on the inlet manifold (back of the engine near the coolant reservoir) is a common one. Quite cheap and very easy to replace. I had the pipe coming up from the intercooler go on mine, same side of the engine but at the front. This is more of a pig to replace, I had to remove the bumper for access. But still quite cheap.

The metal pipe Tom is referring to is under the air filter, on top of the gearbox. Again, a common failure & dead easy to remove. Just follow all the hoses from turbo to the inlet manifold, squeezing and feeling the ones you can't see. The splits are usually at the back!

If you are getting the cog light or engine light on, it must be quite bad. Also check the tiny plastic tube to the MAP sensor, this is right on top of the engine, on the driver's side. 

• Like 1

Guys it was a split hose, tdci Peter it was the one on the inlet manifold. About a 2 inch split, sorted for now with some silicone tape followed by a round of insulation tape. It's a temporary fix but my mechanic says it will last for a ***** long time. Thanks everyone for your sound advice, it really has been appreciated loads.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:51 PM, geepee8375 said:

Guys it was a split hose, tdci Peter it was the one on the inlet manifold. About a 2 inch split, sorted for now with some silicone tape followed by a round of insulation tape. It's a temporary fix but my mechanic says it will last for a ***** long time. Thanks everyone for your sound advice, it really has been appreciated loads.

It's the common one for that engine, mine went 2-3 years ago on the underside of the hose.  Rather than pay £40+ to Ford for a hose that is fundamentally not up to the job, most on here (me included) bough a silicone replacement of eBay for a quarter of the cost and the silicone one will last forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club