Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST Line X stop/start and keyless entry blues

Rattus

Good evening folks,

Firstly, apologies if anyone else has got a thread on this. I have had a scroll through but couldn't find anything.

I picked up a 2019  Focus ST Line X on January 9th. It was great for about a fortnight but then the stop/start stopped working. Initially I thought it was down to winter, cold days and dark early and never really worried about it. Then, when the days drew out and it got warmer, itvstill wasn't cutting the engine when waiting at the lights etc. Also, by now, the keyless entry would only work on the drivers door! So, in April the car went into Ford Dealer and they kept it a couple of days and diagnosed a new battery.

battery was duly fitted and the car was great again,for about a fortnight!! I am now at the same point as when the battery was replaced in April.

The car has just done 10k miles and turned 6 month old. Surely it cannot be a battery? Could it be the charging system?

One other thing I have noticed is that the reversing beeper (or front sensor beeper) occasionally sounds very distorted and not the clear sharp tone it usually has. I have noticed this when the keyless entry just doesn't work at all and you have to use the remote button to unlock or lock the car!!

To be honest, it is a bit of a pain to pay the option for keyless entry only for it not to work.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and have you been able to get it sorted?

Thanks folks. Much appreciated. 

👋🏻 

Does the sound ever seem to come from the IPC rather than the Speakers, could that be the difference in the tone? That’s a common thing and can’t often be batter you related.

do you have anything plugged in to the car that is aftermarket? For example a dashcam or charger etc? 

Invest in a cheap voltage monitor that you plug plug into the 12v socket and you can see what the dip is when you turn the engine over and what it sits at when you are driving along too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

👋🏻

Does the sound ever seem to come from the IPC rather than the speakers, could that be the difference in the tone? That’s a common thing and can’t often be batter you related.

do you have anything plugged in to the car that is aftermarket? For example a Dashcam or charger etc? 

Invest in a cheap voltage monitor that you plug plug into the 12v socket and you can see what the dip is when you turn the engine over and what it sits at when you are driving along too.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I do have a dashcam (Blackview DR900S -2ch) and that is on continuous using the Conecta OBD Power Cable which came with the camera. The only other thing plugged in is my iPod Touch for when there is nothing decent on the radio. 

I will look at a voltage monitor though. Thanks.

• Like 1

I've only owned mine a few weeks and the only time the stop/start does not work is when I have been doing a lot of stop/start town driving, but after a longer less stressful run it works fine.

I don't think the warning sounds come through the Audio unit, because my Audio has stopped working (Radio, Phone Navigation instructions etc), but I still get warning tones and they are not distorted.

Have you tried your other Key Fob?. One of mine works perfectly, but the other one does not for Keyless entry and it needs to be in the Backup position to start the car.

I've booked my car in next week to  get these problems fixed.

• Like 1

I have had mine since November and no probs with keyless. Do get distorted sound sometimes for sensors but very intermittent. Re stop start when it doesn't work does it show greyed out on display? dont forget it wont  always work if battery low ,air con on ,seat belt off etc etc. What sort of distances do you drive only as the car has an intelligent charger it only maintains the battery at charge  level sufficient for it to start the engine ie it will rarely be fully charged and then only if you do some longer runs so stop start can be impaired. I have a USB adapter with voltmeter plugged into socket and its interesting to see the charge voltage across the battery  which can vary continuously from around 12.5v up to 15v while you are driving. Leaving something plugged into a socket isn't a problem as they shut down soon after the car is locked.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I've only owned mine a few weeks and the only time the stop/start does not work is when I have been doing a lot of stop/start town driving, but after a longer less stressful run it works fine.

I don't think the warning sounds come through the Audio unit, because my Audio has stopped working (Radio, Phone Navigation instructions etc), but I still get warning tones and they are not distorted.

Have you tried your other Key Fob?. One of mine works perfectly, but the other one does not for Keyless entry and it needs to be in the Backup position to start the car.

I've booked my car in next week to  get these problems fixed.

Yeah, tried the other fob. Having the gobs in a coat pocket or anywhere doesn't impair the starting, so no apparent battery issue in the fob.

Mine will soon be in for its first service and all of these queries will be on the list! Just annoying as when they have it in, they only give you a ***** courtesy car!! And the first one I had spent the first two weeks in the dealership then it was returned as unit for purpose!!

24 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

I have had mine since November and no probs with keyless. Do get distorted sound sometimes for sensors but very intermittent. Re stop start when it doesn't work does it show greyed out on display? dont forget it wont  always work if battery low ,air con on ,seat belt off etc etc. What sort of distances do you drive only as the car has an intelligent charger it only maintains the battery at charge  level sufficient for it to start the engine ie it will rarely be fully charged and then only if you do some longer runs so stop start can be impaired. I have a USB adapter with voltmeter plugged into socket and its interesting to see the charge voltage across the battery  which can vary continuously from around 12.5v up to 15v while you are driving. Leaving something plugged into a socket isn't a problem as they shut down soon after the car is locked.

Well, it's a twelve mile drive to work and it is usually up to temperature and stable within 3 miles through town. But I did drive down to Goodwood last week and after a couple of hours on the A34 it still didnt get the stop/start to engage at the services, even though I sat in it ticking over for a few minutes.

I appreciate there are many parameters to satisfy but my personal thought is that the charging system is the fault. Hopefully at the first service they can sort it out. 

I'll let you know for sure.

33 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

Sorry, missed one.

Yes the stop/start symbol is greyed out.  I have been all through the menus switching it off, then going for a drive and then switching it back on again. I am pretty sure I have tried every feasible combination of stuff switched on and off to see if there is a difference.

I have just been on amazon to sort a voltage monitor which will be here tomorrow, so we will see.

I would be inclined to think  your dashcam is gradually draining the battery, as you say you have a "dashcam (Blackview DR900S -2ch) and that is on continuous using the Conecta OBD Power Cable".

My thoughts are this is draining a lot from the battery over time, and your normal driving routine is not replacing it. You might find this interesting:

The first thing I would do, is disconnect this dash camera for 2 weeks. Then, fully charge the car battery, using a decent battery charger (not just take the car for a drive), and see how the stop/start performs during these 2 weeks.

Blackview DR900S -2ch

Input Power

DC 12 V - 24 V (DC Plug: (Ø3.5 x Ø1.35), MAX 1 A/12 V)

Power Consumption

Avg. 380 mA (4.56 W at 12 V, when GPS is On and Wi-Fi is Off)

Avg. 360 mA (4.32 W at 12 V, when GPS and Wi-Fi are Off)

* Actual power consumption may vary depending on use conditions and environment.

I wouldn’t also recommend unplugging the dashcam when the car is not I need use, that is what I was getting at when I asked about aftermarket things rather than something plugged into the 12v socket. 

The first thing Ford are going to blame is anything you have added, even if it has a voltage protector on it. I’d make sure it is removed when it goes in just so they don’t try and blame it.

We had a nexbase dashcam in our old car, it would drain the battery even when ignition off so we had to unplug it every time.  I'd be inclined to run without it for a while.

Other than that people have reported the sync unit not actually powering down. 

Had my car for a month now, don't have keyless entry, just the keyless go.  Stop start seems to work fine, I do notice it doesn't always work if there's a lot of demand like air-conditioning on high, sometimes the engine starts again if it has been stopped for a while.

• Like 1

The newer cars must be hypersensitive to dashcams then?

I had a 10 plate Focus Titanium for 4.5 years with dashcam in that running 24/7 and the keyless entry never missed a beat. Admittedly it didnt have stop/start on it.

After that, I had a MINI Countryman for 4 years and that did have keyless entry and stop/start and 24/7 dashcam and never missed a beat.

Now the Mk4 Focus is just being ***** awkward!!!

Watched the video and my power lead (supplied by Blackview) has a built in switch to cut power at park mode and also contains battery monitoring circuit to power down the camera should the car battery drop below a set voltage.

Much as I hate the idea of no camera running, I will try it disconnected.

Thanks folks.

I think you've just got a car with an unresolved fault. Go back to the dealer and make a fuss.

• Like 1

My 2017 has key entry with keyless start, also has s/s and a dashcam 24/7 hardwired into the passenger footwell fuse box. I have had zero issues for the 1yr I’ve had this setup and my s/s always works as it should. 

You could try wiring the cam into the fuse box using a piggy back and a new 12v socket, it could be due to it going directly into the OBD port. I’ve never run a camera this way so can’t comment from experience. @Rattus is your cam via a piggyback or OBD connector? This ‘could’ be your problem 🤷‍♂️

On 7/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, Jonro2009 said:

My 2017 has key entry with keyless start, also has s/s and a Dashcam 24/7 hardwired into the passenger footwell fuse box. I have had zero issues for the 1yr I’ve had this setup and my s/s always works as it should. 

You could try wiring the cam into the fuse box using a piggy back and a new 12v socket, it could be due to it going directly into the OBD port. I’ve never run a camera this way so can’t comment from experience. @Rattus is your cam via a piggyback or OBD connector? This ‘could’ be your problem 🤷‍♂️

Hi @Jonro2009, it is an OBD connector plug straight into the socket.

I went with it as Blackvue were doing them with the camera and it is so much neater than anything else. Also means that there is no chance of any "dodgy" connections. Plus, the cabling is all hidden behind the trim. I hate seeing cables!!

I understand how the OBD wiring works with Blackvue cams, it was just a thought.

do you have the Ford Pass App?

Makes me laugh that the MK4 has cameras everywhere, why can't Ford just make them recordable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Makes me laugh that the MK4 has cameras everywhere, why can't Ford just make them recordable

Absolutely 100% agree with you. Would be such an advantage.

21 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I understand how the OBD wiring works with Blackvue cams, it was just a thought.

do you have the Ford Pass App?

The Ford Pass App.

Now there is a complete waste of time and effort for visiting the Play store! 

Today was an interesting day!

The keyless entry worked on the passenger door this morning  (I have to walk past it on the way to the drivers door so I always check). Really took me by surprise  and it has worked on other doors throughout the day. And the camera is still plugged in. 

Stop/Start is still not playing though.

I have @Comares2001 got that voltage monitor in as well. Seeing 14.4 whilst driving and it seems to be that number each time I look at it. I will have to remember to look at it to see what it reads prior to startup or at switch off.

Nice tip though, thank you.

pretty sure I said about the meter first 😉

when you come to the car it should read 12-12.2v and it will dip to anywhere down to 11v. 14.4v is generally what I see while driving but sometimes it can be around 13v

I totally agree with you @Rattus but I’m keen to know if he has the Ford Pass app as it seems that some people are finding that it stops the media system and car going into its state of deep sleep and allow some degree of battery drain.

• Like 1

On the Mk4 the battery monitor will vary charge voltage from the alternator according to engine load to reduce emissions. I have found on my car that on acceleration the voltage will drop down to around 12v and on deceleration can rise up to 15v. At steady speeds voltage depends on battery condition/capacity so again can be anything from just over 12v to just under 15v. 

With the Ford pass app I found on 2 Android devices that unless the app is forced to stop after being used it will continue to run in the background so is therefore probably still connecting to the car periodically.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, Jonro2009 said:

pretty sure I said about the meter first 😉

when you come to the car it should read 12-12.2v and it will dip to anywhere down to 11v. 14.4v is generally what I see while driving but sometimes it can be around 13v

I totally agree with you @Rattus but I’m keen to know if he has the Ford Pass app as it seems that some people are finding that it stops the media system and car going into its state of deep sleep and allow some degree of battery drain.

In that case, thank you.

Saw 11.7 on startup today and 14.4 to 14.7 during driving. Nifty bit of kit really.

Keyless entry failed again today though and reverted back to drivers door only!!!

All of the option attaining to the Ford Pass App are set to "off" or equivalent. I really cannot see any worth in that install at all. And the App has been removed from my phone.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, Comares2001 said:

On the Mk4 the battery monitor will vary charge voltage from the alternator according to engine load to reduce emissions. I have found on my car that on acceleration the voltage will drop down to around 12v and on deceleration can rise up to 15v. At steady speeds voltage depends on battery condition/capacity so again can be anything from just over 12v to just under 15v. 

With the Ford pass app I found on 2 Android devices that unless the app is forced to stop after being used it will continue to run in the background so is therefore probably still connecting to the car periodically.

Have been into the men's to kill off any Ford Pass  App connections and deleted the App from the phone. Total waste of effort ever loading it in the first place!! 

Regarding Auto Stop Start.

I started a thread back in May and the conclusion was that apparently it is normal for the stop start function to disable from time to time.

I find that my Auto Stop Start still only works occasionally.

BTW, having just read through this thread I have just ordered a voltage monitor from amazon so thanks for the tip. 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club