Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST Line X stop/start and keyless entry blues

Rattus

Regarding the use of the Ford Pass app.

I have to say I find it useful for remotely checking Fuel level/distance to empty, Vehicle location, tyre pressure,Odometer, auto engine stop/start etc.

Also, I think I am correct in saying that I used my Ford Pass to enable the Live Traffic feature.

Having said that perhaps there is an impact on the battery if using the app.?

On 7/17/2019 at 2:53 AM, PLB said:

Regarding Auto Stop Start.

I started a thread back in May and the conclusion was that apparently it is normal for the stop start function to disable from time to time.

I find that my Auto Stop Start still only works occasionally.

BTW, having just read through this thread I have just ordered a voltage monitor from Amazon so thanks for the tip. 👍

Top man! 

Is yours an ST Line X as well?

I am really liking the voltage monitor! It is getting quite addictive with its electric blue digital display. I will need to charge something up to see what else it displays 😎

Found another irritating issue today as well. I am starting to lose the love!!

Now the passenger window has taken to sensing something in the way and fully opening again. Ridiculous really. It closes to where it should and then decides to fully open! The list is growing in readiness for the service. I hope they have a decent courtesy car for the time it takes to sort this one out 😂

53 minutes ago, Rattus said:

Top man! 

Is yours an ST Line X as well?

I am really liking the voltage monitor! It is getting quite addictive with its electric blue digital display. I will need to charge something up to see what else it displays 😎

I have the Titanium X.
The spec is pretty much the same but as you probably know one of the main difference to ST line X is the body styling and its sportier feel.
Just received my voltage monitor today so I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Regarding your passenger window problem.
Take a look at the following extract from the user manual, in particular 'Resetting Bounce Back'
Probably worth a try.

POWER WINDOWS

Opening and Closing the Windows
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  Do not leave children unattended in your vehicle and do not let them play with the power windows. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  When closing the power windows, verify they are free of obstruction and make sure that children and pets are not in the proximity of the window openings.

Missing Image   Press the control to open the window. Lift the control to close the window.
Note:  The power windows operate with the ignition on, and for several minutes after you switch the ignition off or until you open a front door.
To reduce wind noise or pulsing noise when one window is open, slightly open the opposite window.
One-Touch Open (If Equipped)
 Fully press the control and release it. Press again or lift it to stop the window.
One-Touch Close (If Equipped)
 Fully lift the control and release it. Press again or lift it to stop the window.
Resetting One-Touch Close
Carry out all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence.
  1. Close the window.
  1. Press and hold the switch until the window is fully open.Keep the switch pressed for a few seconds.
  1. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed.Keep the switch held for a few seconds.
  1. Press and hold the switch until the window is fully open.Keep the switch pressed for a few seconds.
  1. Lift and hold the switch until the window is fully closed.Keep the switch held for a few seconds.
Note:  Repeat the procedure if the window does not close when you use one-touch.
Rear Window Lock
Missing Image   Press the control to lock or unlock the rear window controls. It illuminates when you lock the rear window controls.

Overriding Bounce-Back
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  If you override bounce-back, the window does not reverse if it detects an obstacle. Take care when closing the windows to avoid personal injury or damage to your vehicle.

1. Close the window until it reaches the point of resistance and let it reverse.
  1. Lift the control within two seconds to override bounce-back and close the window.Bounce-back is now disabled and you can close the window manually.
Note:  The window goes past the point of resistance and you can fully close it.
Note:  If the window does not close, have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Resetting Bounce-Back
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  Bounce-back is off until you reset the memory. Take care when closing the windows to avoid personal injury or damage to your vehicle.

1. Close the window.
Note:  Repeat the procedure if the window does not close when you use one-touch.

I had the same problem with the windows 'bouncing back' after the car had been for a software update to the PCM. The procedure I found to reset it was, after its bounced back , immediately use the one-touch up button, repeat this and on the the third attempt the system is reset and the window closes properly.

• Like 1

Hi,

Obviously you need to get the car back in to check the keyless system.

My experience of MK4s is that they are not updating all the modules at PDI and MK4s are tending to suffer with software glitches (typical Ford)

You may have some sort of current drain going on, though again it could be software related.

You can update the SYNC3 system yourself by following the instructions on the Ford website (search Ford Sync 3 update UK).

Get the dealer to update every module that requires it and your problems should disappear.

Are you driving in Sport mode? Stop/Start deactivates in sport mode

• Like 3

My experience of MK4s is that they are not updating all the modules at PDI

That's my experience too.

Get the dealer to update every module that requires it and your problems should disappear.

They seem reluctant to do that. I use a small Ford dealer where you can actually talk to the technician and I had a long chat with him about updates that were showing as available on ETIS for my car. According to him, Fords policy is not to update modules unless there the vehicle actually has a related fault. So the dealers are also reluctant to do uneccesary updates in case it causes other problems which they then have to fix at their cost. In my case I was able to review the available updates with the technician and agree which ones we thought would be worthwhile.

Having said that, on a car which is showing problems, you would have thought that doing all the updates is a good idea!

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 11:34 PM, PLB said:
I have the Titanium X.
The spec is pretty much the same but as you probably know one of the main difference to ST line X is the body styling and its sportier feel.
Just received my voltage monitor today so I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Regarding your passenger window problem.
Take a look at the following extract from the user manual, in particular 'Resetting Bounce Back'
Probably worth a try.

POWER WINDOWS

Opening and Closing the Windows
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  Do not leave children unattended in your vehicle and do not let them play with the power windows. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  When closing the power windows, verify they are free of obstruction and make sure that children and pets are not in the proximity of the window openings.

Missing Image   Press the control to open the window. Lift the control to close the window.
Note:  The power windows operate with the ignition on, and for several minutes after you switch the ignition off or until you open a front door.
To reduce wind noise or pulsing noise when one window is open, slightly open the opposite window.
One-Touch Open (If Equipped)
 Fully press the control and release it. Press again or lift it to stop the window.
One-Touch Close (If Equipped)
 Fully lift the control and release it. Press again or lift it to stop the window.
Resetting One-Touch Close
  1. Close the window.
Rear Window Lock
Missing Image   Press the control to lock or unlock the rear window controls. It illuminates when you lock the rear window controls.

Overriding Bounce-Back
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  If you override bounce-back, the window does not reverse if it detects an obstacle. Take care when closing the windows to avoid personal injury or damage to your vehicle.

1. Close the window until it reaches the point of resistance and let it reverse.
  1. Lift the control within two seconds to override bounce-back and close the window.Bounce-back is now disabled and you can close the window manually.
Note:  The window goes past the point of resistance and you can fully close it.
Note:  If the window does not close, have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Resetting Bounce-Back
imagen2.dll?id=warning_owner&s=PNG&t=PNG  WARNING:  Bounce-back is off until you reset the memory. Take care when closing the windows to avoid personal injury or damage to your vehicle.

1. Close the window.

Ha! Tried that!!

Biggest problem is trying to get the window closed in the first instance, and thereafter, as soon as the window is up it is straight back on the down travel!!!!

It'll soon be at a dealer......

On 7/19/2019 at 7:23 AM, ianincheshire said:

I had the same problem with the windows 'bouncing back' after the car had been for a software update to the PCM. The procedure I found to reset it was, after its bounced back , immediately use the one-touch up button, repeat this and on the the third attempt the system is reset and the window closes properly.

I must have a deeper rooted problem as mine will not accept this at all.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:01 AM, DaveT70 said:

Hi,

Obviously you need to get the car back in to check the keyless system.

My experience of MK4s is that they are not updating all the modules at PDI and MK4s are tending to suffer with software glitches (typical Ford)

You may have some sort of current drain going on, though again it could be software related.

You can update the SYNC3 system yourself by following the instructions on the Ford website (search Ford Sync 3 update UK).

Only engaging Sport Mode occasionally for a bit of fun driving!!

I have had EVERYTHING off and still the stop/start does not function. And that was in an 80 mile drive around.

Thanks for the dealer update of the modules tip. 👍

On 7/19/2019 at 8:41 AM, ianincheshire said:

That's my experience too.

They seem reluctant to do that. I use a small Ford dealer where you can actually talk to the technician and I had a long chat with him about updates that were showing as available on ETIS for my car. According to him, Fords policy is not to update modules unless there the vehicle actually has a related fault. So the dealers are also reluctant to do uneccesary updates in case it causes other problems which they then have to fix at their cost. In my case I was able to review the available updates with the technician and agree which ones we thought would be worthwhile.

Having said that, on a car which is showing problems, you would have thought that doing all the updates is a good idea!

Will definitely be asking about all module updates. Really frustrating paying for the privilege of keyless and it not working!!

I'm finding my stop start working less at the moment, I think because the Aircon is demanding a lot of power due to the heat.

Lots of people with MK4s suffering with "bounce-back" or "anti-trap" features on the front windows too.

Luckily, I don't seem to have this issue yet.

Well folks, had another session with trying to get the passenger window sorted. I have actually got it to close fully again without immediately bouncing open. Bit of a celebration called for!!

I wont go overboard on it quite though. If I try to close driver window and passenger window (front) at the same time, the driver window goes up and fully closes whilst the passenger window decides to fully open!! Pull up the switch again and it fully closes.

I think it needs a season the software PC!!!!!!!

Stop start still not operative and keyless entry is at best, intermittent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it is booked in for its first service on Thursday along with the list of issues!

That in  itself threw a curve ball into the equation. The service book shows a service interval of 12,500 miles but the guy on the phone doing the booking reckons the book is wrong and it should be 10,000 miles!!

How the hell do you fare on warranty if according to Ford you miss the service interval by 2,500 miles??

It is like a never ending saga!!

The pass app tells you the service interval . One of the few things it's any good for.

There was a thread here about service intervals

The 1.5 diesel is 10k miles but the petrol's are variable servicing , up to 18k or 2 years OR when the service indicator says

You do get the feeling that Ford are keeping service information pretty vague so that they can wriggle out of a claim!

My message to get the oil changed soon came up at just past 11,500 which sort of blows the 10,000 mile information out of the water. 

Oh well, c'est la vie!

The bounce back on windows can be caused by low battery voltage or disconnecting battery. You will find there are software updates for the pdm and ddm. ( Door modules) 

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, service done, although they kept it in for two and a half days!!

They do still blame the failing stop/start and intermittent keyless entry on a battery drain from the dashcam. I am now powering the dashcam down when I park up until such time as I can get hold of the Blackvue battery pack. So far, everything is almost fine! 

I still think that the tolerance parameters on the voltage are too tight. I have never had problems like it on previous two cars.

The passenger bounce back is a pain though. You reset it and a couple of days later it returns??? Thanks for the note @iantt I will ask about a software update.

The one thing I am sure about though is that the Ford Pass App will never return to my phone 🤣😂🤣

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 8:01 AM, DaveT70 said:

Only use sport mode if I want to have a bit of fun on a quiet road or if wanting to overtake a bit quicker. Other than that it is back in normal mode. Certainly wont be in Eco mode!! 🤣😂

13 hours ago, Rattus said:

Only use sport mode if I want to have a bit of fun on a quiet road or if wanting to overtake a bit quicker. Other than that it is back in normal mode. Certainly wont be in Eco mode!! 🤣😂

3 months later, is your stop/start working? And the window issue?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:33 AM, Alex.S said:

3 months later, is your stop/start working? And the window issue?

Window is sorted. Took ages to get it to respond to the process but it did eventually and has stayed good ever since.

The stop/start though - not a hope! Does not kick in at all.

The only plus I can take away with that is that the starter motor wont wear!!! 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, Rattus said:

Window is sorted. Took ages to get it to respond to the process but it did eventually and has stayed good ever since.

The stop/start though - not a hope! Does not kick in at all.

The only plus I can take away with that is that the starter motor wont wear!!! 

Do you think getting a better battery fitted might solve the start/stop issue? 

On 7/12/2019 at 7:04 PM, Rattus said:

Good evening folks,

Firstly, apologies if anyone else has got a thread on this. I have had a scroll through but couldn't find anything.

I picked up a 2019  Focus ST Line X on January 9th. It was great for about a fortnight but then the stop/start stopped working. Initially I thought it was down to winter, cold days and dark early and never really worried about it. Then, when the days drew out and it got warmer, itvstill wasn't cutting the engine when waiting at the lights etc. Also, by now, the keyless entry would only work on the drivers door! So, in April the car went into Ford Dealer and they kept it a couple of days and diagnosed a new battery.

Battery was duly fitted and the car was great again,for about a fortnight!! I am now at the same point as when the battery was replaced in April.

The car has just done 10k miles and turned 6 month old. Surely it cannot be a battery? Could it be the charging system?

One other thing I have noticed is that the reversing beeper (or front sensor beeper) occasionally sounds very distorted and not the clear sharp tone it usually has. I have noticed this when the keyless entry just doesn't work at all and you have to use the remote button to unlock or lock the car!!

To be honest, it is a bit of a pain to pay the option for keyless entry only for it not to work.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and have you been able to get it sorted?

Thanks folks. Much appreciated. 

When I first read this I thought it’d be keyless entry somehow draining the battery.  mines 8 weeks old , stopstart hasn’t worked in a few days now. Read a lot of people’s posts re stopstart amongst other issues that seem to be linked to the battery. Or as you point out maybe the charging system. When it was diagnosed with needing a new battery (I totally agree, it shouldn’t need replaced) do you know if they changed the factory fitted battery for another identical battery? Apologies if these questions have already been answered , I’ve not had time to read the whole thread.