Do Not Sell My Personal Information

09 1.8 diesel zetec

Rmlsav

Hi all, hope someone can help me...

ive got an 09 plate focus, 1.8 diesel manual zetec. A few months ago it randomly went into limp mode, and engine malfunction error message came on the dash accompanied with the ESP warning light. I called the AA out and they said there was a fault code for injector number one, so I went and got that changed the next day. Driving home from the garage, then engine started missing and I knew something wasn’t right. Took it back to the same garage the next day and left it with him for a few days. He changed the fuel filter, flushed the system etc and all seemed fine. I picked it up and went straight to bp to get some ultimate diesel and all seemed fine for a few days, then the same thing started happening. Engine kept missing, occasionally it would go into limp mode with the ESP light and engine malfunction on dash. Took to a different garage who couldn’t find a fault but rewired the injectors. Again took it back and all was fine for a day then it started happening again! After some research, I thought it was a good idea to buy some BG244, put that in and it ran perfectly for a month. Then yesterday it went into limp mode AGAIN, with the same warnings on the dash. Any idea what this could be? And has anyone else come across this before?

thanks in advance

On 7/13/2019 at 1:33 PM, Rmlsav said:

Hi all, hope someone can help me...

ive got an 09 plate focus, 1.8 diesel manual zetec. A few months ago it randomly went into limp mode, and engine malfunction error message came on the dash accompanied with the ESP warning light. I called the AA out and they said there was a fault code for injector number one, so I went and got that changed the next day. Driving home from the garage, then engine started missing and I knew something wasn’t right. Took it back to the same garage the next day and left it with him for a few days. He changed the fuel filter, flushed the system etc and all seemed fine. I picked it up and went straight to bp to get some ultimate diesel and all seemed fine for a few days, then the same thing started happening. Engine kept missing, occasionally it would go into limp mode with the ESP light and engine malfunction on dash. Took to a different garage who couldn’t find a fault but rewired the injectors. Again took it back and all was fine for a day then it started happening again! After some research, I thought it was a good idea to buy some BG244, put that in and it ran perfectly for a month. Then yesterday it went into limp mode AGAIN, with the same warnings on the dash. Any idea what this could be? And has anyone else come across this before?

thanks in advance

Although the 1.8 TDCi engine is pretty bulletproof, a fairly well known issue is that in 2008-2009 Siemens supplied Ford with sub-standard injectors.  The affected injectors are known to start to fail well before they should and can cause really bad running/EML etc.  There's a post on here somewhere, if you search for "1.8 tdci injectors" you'll probably find the post quite easily.

**Edit - I've tracked the thread down containing the info here.**

Thank you really appreciate that! I take it there’s no chance of any goodwill towards labour at ford dealerships?

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 5:46 PM, Rmlsav said:

Thank you really appreciate that! I take it there’s no chance of any goodwill towards labour at ford dealerships?

No worries mate and yes, there's no chance of any goodwill from Ford UK.  People who had the issue just 4 years in got the shaft so anyone having the issue after 10 years has got no chance of getting help from them.

Update... just been to my local dealer, they tried the re calibration but for some reason it wouldn’t download onto my pcm but they didn’t know why! Will try another dealership in the near future

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club