Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Titanium Coil Spring problems

Nicomama

I just been informed that i need 2 rear coil springs and bushes on my 65 plate Fiesta Titanium - does anyone have the same problem.   My garage informed me that he has replaced about 50 of these in the last month ?

With the state of the roads these days it comes as no surprise.

• Like 2

what is wrong with the springs?  have they actually broken or is he saying they are excessively rusty?  was this an MOT test or had you taken it in due to  a problem?

I've had two front springs broken on mine

• 5 months later...

Our 09 has only 19,000 on the clock and has had three springs replaced in the last two years, the fourth just broken this evening, at least we assume that's what the familiar clunk is when hitting a bump, will confirm in the morning.

That will be the complete set now, so hopefully the replacements may last a bit longer.

I assume that living within a 100 yards of the Irish Sea doesn't help

When you fit the new springs ensure all the strut base is spotless & free from dirt, before you fit the springs, grease the contact points between the metal and spring.

Springs fail in this place due to dirft getting wedged under the spring and then the black powder coating cracks away, then water gets in and the corrosion begins at that point causing fine stress cracks and then the spring snaps 😞 .......And that was told to me by a Ford mechanic when one of my springs snapped, he also said to keep the lower section of the spring clean but greased up, it'll never snap again.

Remember both sides need to be done and the tracking checked.

I had to replace mine right after getting the car, one of them totally snapped and it was making the worst squeaking sound ever. They had rusted clean through and broke.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:08 PM, warpc0il said:

Well, that's pretty conclusive...

Fiesta Spring.jpg

This is exactly what mine did.

• 6 months later...

Same problem with mine. 

Arnold Clark charging just shy of £200 to replace. Is it thought to be a common problem with this model? I have never known this to happen to any cars I have had driving over 20 years. 

my 2015 fiesta is OK. My 2007 was fine in the 9 years I had it. 

The only one I can recall having a broken coil spring on was my 1976 Granada Mk1 many years ago. On my brother's Audi TT both rear ones went on different occasions. One one occasion he just sat in the car and there was a clunk, he looked under car and a chunk of spring was in the road. 

On 7/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, Betty12356 said:

Same problem with mine. 

Arnold Clark charging just shy of £200 to replace. Is it thought to be a common problem with this model? I have never known this to happen to any cars I have had driving over 20 years. 

Hello all,

Am not certain but some mk7s do seem to be prone to breaking springs. My 2011 econetic has had both rear springs break in the last few years, likely for similar reasons as others' above. 

Lizzy I'm sorry i can't recall what I was charged for replacement but £200 sounds quite steep as I think the part is barely £100... maybe see if you could source the part on eBay from a Ford dealer to save a bit, then ask your garage to fit it?

• 2 months later...

Same problem with my 2015 Fiesta. Both rear springs and bushings required replacement. I believe this to be a common problem with this model.

Springs never broke but the emphasis on light weight has forced the use of thinner wire which is made from a stiffer steel which in turn is more brittle. I have had it on a Xsara, a BMW E46 and a Ka. But never mind, it is saving the planet, even running the furnaces to recycle the old one and make anew. Allegedly. Bonkers, innit?

• 2 weeks later...

speed bumps and roundabouts breaks springs. 

Replaced my rear springs , 2019 MOT an advisory for being corroded. The soft sponge supports at the top were also replaced as also badly worn.

I wonder if there's something inherently wrong with Fiesta springs.   I've been driving for 64 years and never had a broken spring until I bought a Fiesta.

I like to play a fun game of 'count the coils' when walking around housing estates, pretty much guaranteed to at least find one or two when you start looking for them! 

I hit one with the NSF wheel this week as well...though it was a coffee cup lid at first glance!  No tyre damage fortunately. 

I don't think Fiesta's break more than other cars, but they have fairly low profile tyres comparatively so more shock is sent through the spring with less tyre to soak it up.  Pigtail springs are weaker than straight springs as well.  

• 4 months later...

So I’ve had the inevitable spring break this evening. I have a 2011 Econetic Titanium with the lowered suspension. I don’t suppose anybody has an OEM part number for one? 

88939BD9-1FC4-438B-937A-4D4B8A5FDC56.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Jezmunkeh said:

So I’ve had the inevitable spring break this evening. I have a 2011 Econetic Titanium with the lowered suspension. I don’t suppose anybody has an OEM part number for one? 

88939BD9-1FC4-438B-937A-4D4B8A5FDC56.jpeg

I believe this is your one ( the highlighted ) ?

here is the link to the page with all part numbers so you can check accurately 🙂 select your model, then select chassis, then springs, struts, and shock absorbers, then front suspension shocks and springs 🙂 

ford.catalogs-parts.com

spring.jpg

• 1 year later...

2014/15 Fiesta with 26k, just replaced two front coil springs. Rear suspension elements replaced within last two years.

• 1 year later...

I am a 76 year old female pensioner, who, 99% of the time drives solo in her Ford Fiesta purchased new in 2015, and who always avoids potholes.  Imagine my surprise, therefore, when, in August 2021, and with a mileage of only 7,923, I had an offside rear broken spring. I explained to the Ford garage that, having driven many different new, old, and very old cars throughout my life (none of them Ford cars), this was the first time I had ever had a suspension problem.  The garage explained to me that "this sort of thing" was not unusual.

It is now March 2024, and my Ford Fiesta has a mileage of 10,503, and sadly, a couple of days ago I became aware of an all-too-familiar rattle whenever the car went over a slight bump in the road.  I can hardly believe it myself, although I have the bill to prove it, that my car, today, has had to have the nearside rear spring replaced.  According to the Ford garage, this is a "quite common"  occurence.

I cannot afford to change cars because I am on a pension, and anyway, am unlikely to be considering purchasing a new car in the future, but, were I to be going to buy a new car, I can say, without any hesitation and with hand on heart, that pigs would have to fly before I bought a Ford car ever again.

• Sad 1

Two coil springs in 9 years, there's no pleasing some people 🤣

I do hope your 2015 Fiesta is not a 1.0 Ecoboost engine or your sure to have a collywobble when you have to pay £1800 to have the webelt changed next year.

1 hour ago, LJay said:

I cannot afford to change cars because I am on a pension, and anyway, am unlikely to be considering purchasing a new car in the future, but, were I to be going to buy a new car, I can say, without any hesitation and with hand on heart, that pigs would have to fly before I bought a Ford car ever again.

I would suggest that if you've had nothing else go wrong, in nine years, you should count yourself lucky.  Modern cars, from any manufacturer, are not built to the lasting quality of a few decades ago, British Leyland / French / Italian cars excluded 🙂

Springs have become a consumable, like brake pads.  If you don't want to give large amounts of cash to Ford, I would be taking it to a trusted local mechanic.  Removing a shock absorber, then replacing a spring and refitting, is actually quite easy, if the original bolts all come undone.

And Unofix's usual comedy routine apart, if you do have an Ecoboost engine, my advice would be to sell the car now if you are wanting stress-free motoring.

Buy an older Toyota or Honda - they make/made 'better' cars.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club