Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus sat nav sync 3 - poor

gillyallan

Just back our hols and found the sat nav pretty poor in all honesty. We were coming back from a place called Maplethorpe to Cleethorpes and it had decided on a turn left half way along the main Rd. It didn't feel right as was opposite direction from my natural compass, however I turned in to find I was going along some partially grassed track in totally wrong direction. Found a small bit to turn and came back out. Once I joined the main Rd again it rerouted to the main Rd again.

Found this a few times it wanting to go strange directions and can only think if anyone followed it to the letter, they are going to be going on a wild goose chase.

My son had waze on his phone and his was far more trustworthy.

• Haha 2

Plenty of posts on here on a similar theme! We just regard Sync 3 in general as in-car entertainment (perhaps not in the way Ford intended😀). For actual navigation we rely on our knowledge of geography backed up by a Road Atlas - much more reliable!

It is easy to forget that satnav is an aid only and it is the drivers responsibility to use common sense and judgement as to route suitability.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah I understand but in a totally foreign environment, you'd think it could at least stay on the known main roads. Where the heck it was going was anyone's guess.

4 hours ago, gillyallan said:

you'd think it could at least stay on the known main roads. 

As I've mentioned on another thread, one time the GPS cursor on mine showed us as moving down the centre of the River Humber, heading out to the North  Sea. And we were 70 miles inland at the time!😀

• Like 1

I think one problem is that the software is twitchy.
I occasionally used to get a glitch where the voice recognition would not start up but that went after the last update.
Yesterday I was heading home from work and there was no sound from the system at all, did a system diagnostic (speaker walkaround test) and nothing came through.
Checked after the car was parked for about an hour and all working again.

Best in mind that all gps satellite data is supplied by American satellites and they have full control of location accuracy.
In the 90's - 00's the accuracy was set to about 10 square metres, only within last 10 - 15 years was the diffrrential dialed down to approx 1 metre and still needs three good satellite locks.
Lose one satellite lock or have a generally weak signal and accuracy goes pear shaped.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I tend to use satnav on long journeys more as a guide to how long it's going to take.

Does my head in when you get people driving into rivers or the wrong way down streets and they go "oh satnav made me do it."

NO!!!!  😁

Like guy I mainly use it on long journeys that I know very well just for time and distance to various points on the journey.

this could be the problem also.............

Europe's GPS alternative has been down for days

When people talk about satellite positioning systems, they usually refer to GPS. GPS is of course the US government owned venture that stands for Global Positioning System, but it is not the only game in town – or on earth rather. 

Many of the positioning application we use gather information from several different satellite systems in the GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System). One of them is the Russian developed GLONASS and another one is EU's own Galileo. 

However, the latter mentioned has had some troubles lately, and might have not been much of use for you and me. According to a website that is portraying the status of Galileo system reports that all the satellites in the constellation are "not usable", "not available", or "testing." 

The satellites themselves are still in orbit and probably working fine, it is the earthly infrastructure that has failed us and been down since Friday. Thus many of our GPS devices, like our smartphones, have had to recently rely on non-EU GNS partners. 

One might conclude that Galileo isn't exactly the most reliable of the GNSS providers but that is completely understandable since it is still largely in a pilot phase. EU is aiming full operations to begin in 2020. 

• Like 4