Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screen Wash, Auto Wipers & AC Not Working

bradeharvey

Hi,

Recently, my screen wash for both front and rear screens has stopped working. The wipers come on, so the car knows I'm trying to initiate the screen wash but no liquid comes out the jets and there's no longer the usual humming noise that the jets/pump makes.

Also, the auto wipers have stopped working, but manual is fine. I've checked and scrubbed the sensor but this hasn't fixed it.

Finally, I had my AC re gassed this time last year. I've kept the AC on throughout winter to ensure the pipes didn't leak but a few weeks ago (since the start of the warmer weather), I've noticed the temperature of the air coming from the blowers is exactly the same as when the AC is off. Is it normal to have a regas every single year? Last year they did a leak taste which showed no leaks. When turning the AC on, there's no change in noise coming from the engine bay. Shouldn't I hear the AC kick in?

Anyway these can be linked?

2013 Mk3 Ford Focus Titanium X 1.6 TDCi

Thanks.

Quite often garages don't find any leaks on the pipework, but if you only use the aircon once a year then the compressor seals dry up and cause refrigerant to leak. If the refrigerant level is too low, the compressor wont start up (sometimes you hear it start and stop repeatedly if the level is borderline).

In terms of screenwash, check Fuse 77 in the passenger compartment fusebox (should be 20amps) for the pump. Otherwise remove the pump and carry out tests off the car as to whether you need a new pump or not.

1 minute ago, Luke4efc said:

Quite often garages don't find any leaks on the pipework, but if you only use the aircon once a year then the compressor seals dry up and cause refrigerant to leak. If the refrigerant level is too low, the compressor wont start up (sometimes you hear it start and stop repeatedly if the level is borderline).

In terms of screenwash, check Fuse 77 in the passenger compartment fusebox (should be 20amps) for the pump. Otherwise remove the pump and carry out tests off the car as to whether you need a new pump or not.

I kept the aircon on throughout the winter so it's strange that this could've happened. I do use auto climate constantly and left it to 21'C so possibly even though the AC was on, the climate control didn't kick it in during winter?

I've checked the fuses but all seem okay. Must be the pump which I'll get checked out. Thanks.

There's something wrong with the air-conditioning.

My car is ten years old next month. It was re gassed four years ago, this was free and made no difference at all.

I try and run it whenever I am in the car though.

Mine is just the manual type..

The Mk3 Focus air con system is notoriously prone to faults.  If you've got a 2013 model that held gas for an entire year I'd consider that a good one!!  The Mk2s held AC gas for 10+ years but the Mk3s barely made it past the warranty period.  If you do have another regas done, ask them to leave it on the vacuum tester for as long as possible to show up any minor leaks.  These are often missed so you have to pay for the regas but the gas all leaks over the next few weeks.

The auto wiper issue sounds like an odd one - can you see if the sensor is still perfectly attached to the screen or if it has dropped away slightly?  If it is perfectly attached then the sensor is probably broken, they don't often break though.  Do your auto lights work correctly or are they just on permanently during daylight as well?

As for the pump, Luke had that covered. :smile: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

If you've got a 2013 model that held gas for an entire year I'd consider that a good one!!

I purchased our 2012 Mk3 in January 2016, have never had it re-gassed and in the current hot weather it's working fine. I've no idea when or if it's ever been done. I'm going to leave well alone - 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' 😀

Conversely I am thinking of getting the 2010 Mk2.5 done as it's not performing as well as the Mk3 . . . . . .

Also the Mk2 aircon has started making an unusual noise, see separate post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update to my last post: The Mk3 aircon continued to work extremely well even during the heatwave. On Thursday, at one point, the external temperature readout hit 40 degrees but the aircon just kept working.

By contrast it turned out that my feelings regarding the Mk2.5 were well-founded. When it was regassed the equipment recovered 352g from the system which should hold 600g. The mechanic commented that it was close to failing to work. I'm just hoping the new dose of lubricant will cure the noise mentioned in my other thread.

Anybody know how to easily access the screenwash pump? Seen a few posts elsewhere saying the car needs to be jacked up and is difficult. All I need is to gain access to pump to be able to hit it a few times with a screwdriver. Where is it located?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club