Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control/start stop/push start

Georgenewton

Hi. I’ve recently had some work done to me 2011 focus 1.6 TDCI titanium and this work required the battery to be disconnected. Since then I have had no cruise control, start stop will not turn on and to start the engine I now have to hold the start button down rather than just press it like I used to. I looked into the other menu and it said that my battery was at 11.7. I know this is too low. If I leave my car running for a few hours will this bring the car back to normal functionality? Or is there an underlying issue that I need to get looked at

I wouldnt trust the on board voltage meter. Best get a multimeter over the positive and negative terminals for a proper reading. Ideally you want it to be just over 12.5v when the engine isnt running.

However if your battery is genuinely too low then your stop start wont work. What work did you have done?

To be honest with you I couldn’t tell you. I was driving a few weeks ago and the clutch suddenly stopped engaging. He is a family friend and qualified mechanic so he does us work with very little labour. We were trying to establish the problem without fitting a new clutch as the symptoms did not match any part of the clutch system failing. Anyways in the end he put a new clutch in and it worked but he had to disconnect the battery a few times for some other things he checked over for me (again I couldn’t tell you what). Would it be a result of any fault codes? The OBD socket has been disconnected by the previous owner for some reason so we cannot get any codes to show up on a reader. Another thing I forgot to mention was that the hill start assist isn’t working either. Very strange. I’ve checked to find a fuse for the cruise control and can not find one (I’m new to all this stuff only been driving just over a year) so not sure if there is a fuse for cruise control

Also when I said stop start won’t turn on I meant that the button says off and will not come back on

Batteries only really last their best for 3 or 4 years.  Most never get changed often enough.

29 minutes ago, Georgenewton said:

disconnect the battery a few times for some other things he checked over for me (again I couldn’t tell you what). Would it be a result of any fault codes? The OBD socket has been disconnected by the previous owner for some reason so we cannot get any codes to show up on a reader.

Hmm seems we have half a story here. Messing with "a few other things" could've done something, you'd have to ask him. Fuse 63 (10 Amp) in passenger compartment and Fuse 44 (5 Amp) in engine bay for cruise control. Tbh its more likely your mechanic forgot to plug an electrical connector back in, or some of the conductors aren't making good contact. OBD ports are commonly relocated somewhere else hidden in the car to prevent burglars from plugging in their laptop and starting the car without the key. A dummy port is then installed in its place. You'd have to figure out how they've done it and get it working.

Batteries should last for more than 4 years really, if they're looked after. I got one for my Focus the other month that comes with a 5 year warranty!

Ah brilliant! Thanks for your help mate!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club