Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford OB2 Code Diagnostic Scanner / Clearer

Stophen

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good OB2 diagnostic scanner for using on my Ford Focus Mk2 1.6TDCi Titanium?

I would like one that when faults are detected it can give me a good definition of the issue.

Also, the ability to clear codes i.e. I am currently replacing my condenser and after emptying the refrigerant I know there will be a A/C fault code in the system to clear.

The internet has some good options but as I haven't owned one before I could really do with some advice!

Many thanks in advance,

Stophen.

Forscan is what you want its a free download https://forscan.org/download.html and an elm connector https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx there is all so a user forum, dont bother with cheaper elm normally rubbish.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Would this work ok with iPhone or would I need the Wifi version?

Cheers, Stophen.

They do sell a WiFi version (here), however is a little more expensive and the app isnt free either. Also doesnt have as many functions as the desktop app.

Better off with a laptop and plugging it in via USB imo.

• Like 1

Hi,

Ah, i've just had a look at the website and I see the desktop version is only for Windows.

I'm a Mac user so do you know of any other option that would be good for me?

Thanks for your help so far!

Stophen.

11 hours ago, Stophen said:

Hi,

Ah, i've just had a look at the website and I see the desktop version is only for Windows.

I'm a Mac user so do you know of any other option that would be good for me?

Thanks for your help so far!

Stophen.

You could dual boot windows, or do what i did by a cheap second hand laptop, i got one thats running XP for £40 not a high spec but it does the job.

Hi,

Maybe a cheap second hand laptop is the way to go then. Does XP handle 'Forscan' ok?

Cheers,

Stophen.

3 hours ago, Stophen said:

Hi,

Maybe a cheap second hand laptop is the way to go then. Does XP handle 'Forscan' ok?

Cheers,

Stophen.

Yes it does.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for confirming that.

The prices look pretty good.

I was just speaking to a mechanic friend of mine who suggested 'AUTEL MOT Pro'.

Anybody had any experience with these?

Cheers,

Stophen.

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a scanner or scanner/ app combo that's not Forscan? I just want to be able to read codes and clear them and not run the risk of disabling my car with a wrong click. If you see what I mean?

Cheers

1 hour ago, eddie eastwood said:

Thanks for that. So anything ODBII compliant. Like I say I just want to read codes and clear them off, got a few problems with my Galaxy and just weighing up what to do with it. Also gives me a head start if I can direct the garage saves me paying them to scratch their heads for an hour!

Cheers

17 hours ago, Stophen said:

I was just speaking to a mechanic friend of mine who suggested 'AUTEL MOT Pro'.

Yes they're pretty good, but cost 10x more than a modified Elm327 and Forscan...

• Thanks 1

Just bought this...

Autel Autolink AL319 OBD2 Scanner Reader Read and Erase Codes Check State Emission Monitor Status with Standard 16-Pin OBD-II Smart and Powerful Scan and Car Diagnostic Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M2WTO2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.PUmDb7AB6D96

Arrives tonight, so I'll have a play tomorrow and as it's amazon if it's no good it'll go back on Monday 😁

Hi,

That looks interesting and is quite a bit cheaper than the one I was told about: http://www.autelsale.co.uk/wholesale/autel-mot-pro-eu908-multi-function-scanner.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0ZC7irPD4wIVCbLtCh2E6gyJEAQYAiABEgJzvfD_BwE

Do you reckon there is a significance difference between the two?

Stophen.

11 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Yes they're pretty good, but cost 10x more than a modified Elm327 and Forscan...

Right, so they have roughly the same functions? The DPF’s started playing up again so I need the scanner to be able to deal with that!

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, Stophen said:

Right, so they have roughly the same functions? The DPF’s started playing up again so I need the scanner to be able to deal with that!

I was looking at buying one of these. Autel Maxisys MP808. Should be handy for the non Ford vehicles I have custody of too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTEL-MaxiSys-Professional-Active-Test-OBD-KEY-FOB-ECU-Programming-Relearn-Reset/362582735191?epid=23031191866&hash=item546b9d7957:g:qdYAAOSwxFVdoEoh

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club