Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cam Placement

byronwells

Alright peeps

I have just been and got my car done for a MOT and found out that my dash cam has been removed due to it being in the wrong place..  Even though last 3 years it has been fine...  I had the dash cam to the right of the rear view mirror mount and a bit down so u could see the screen...  Now they are saying it should be higher up literally right behind the mirror, but if I do that if effect the rear view mirror positioning.  

From what I believe it can take up  no more than 4 cm2 of the wiper sweep area to pass a current not. Otherwise it is classed as obstructing driver vision.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stickers-or-other-items-in-front-and-rear-windscreens/view-to-the-front-and-windscreen-obscuration

• Zone A is a vertical area 290mm wide, centred on the steering wheel and contained within the swept area of the windscreen (this area is 350mm wide on vehicles over 3.5 tonnes);
  • Zone Bis the remainder of the swept area of the windscreen

In Zone A, a single damaged area shall be contained within a 10mm diameter circle. A combination of minor damage areas shall not seriously restrict the drivers view. Windscreen stickers, or other obstructions, shall not encroach more than 10mm.

In Zone B, a single damaged area shall be contained within a 40mm diameter circle. Windscreen stickers, or other obstructions, shall not encroach more than 40mm.

Annoying but they did the right thing if it’s in breach of the above legislation.

i’d just mount it somewhere out of the way so it records discreetly. Never understood the point of wanting to have the screen on or visible when recording when it shows you exactly the same as what you see out of the window and in the dark, is a distraction.

• Like 1

Best position, and the legal position is to the left of your rear view mirror, and out of what they call the A zone, this should also be stated in the fitting instructions!! -  You have no need to be looking at the screen of the dashcam until an 'incident' is recorded!!

Just take it out for MOT...  Having air fresheners (or indeed anything  else!) hanging off the mirror is also a fail but people just put them straight back after MOT...

I always take the dash cam and sat nav off my windscreen when the car goes for MOT.   My dash cam goes to the left of the mirror where I can't see it as I consider it a distraction.

Mine is behind the rear view on the left, I can just see the emergency button. I've plenty of space and no issues. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club