Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STEERING GEAR MOTOR BOLT CORROSION

aido1608

I have a Mondeo 2014 2.0l Estate and the bolts have bolts have corroded and snapped off causing the rack to fail. Ford want £1800 to replace it even though on there Etis site i get the recall 15S14 - STEERING GEAR MOTOR BOLT CORROSION. Ford say they don't see it when they log on. Major recall in the united states for this but denying  it in the UK, 4 WEEKS NOW WITHOUT A CAR

mondeo.PNG

go to this site and it has a recall on it for your number plate.  Tell me that and do print screens of both screen shots and go to your dealer.  If they can not help you go to a different dealer or go direct to ford customer care.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Must say i just bought a 2011 tit x and the rust proofing seems like Nill under this car ..ridiculous for modern cars.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:05 PM, aido1608 said:

I have a Mondeo 2014 2.0l Estate and the bolts have bolts have corroded and snapped off causing the rack to fail. Ford want £1800 to replace it even though on there Etis site i get the recall 15S14 - STEERING GEAR MOTOR BOLT CORROSION. Ford say they don't see it when they log on. Major recall in the united states for this but denying  it in the UK, 4 WEEKS NOW WITHOUT A CAR

mondeo.PNG

As mentioned by @gg1234635, the UK recall reb site is clearly showing a recall notice for your car but only as of the 21/07/2019.  I'd try once more with the dealer using a printed screenshot from ETIS and the same from www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and if they still play dumb I'd go straight to Ford customer services.

If WE can see it on ETIS and the UK government recalls web site, then "Ford" sure as hell can, as can their dealers.  It's not like we're looking at a magical "special" version of the internet that they can't access.

image.thumb.png.16dbe1a55f8557fe85f7992e73010163.png

5 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

As mentioned by @gg1234635, the UK recall reb site is clearly showing a recall notice for your car but only as of the 21/07/2019.  I'd try once more with the dealer using a printed screenshot from ETIS and the same from www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ and if they still play dumb I'd go straight to Ford customer services.

If WE can see it on ETIS and the UK government recalls web site, then "Ford" sure as hell can, as can their dealers.  It's not like we're looking at a magical "special" version of the internet that they can't access.

image.thumb.png.16dbe1a55f8557fe85f7992e73010163.png

I can't see that recall when I look. There is a recall outstanding but for a pcm update , and that is why it shows on mot gov service

Screenshot_20190722-182848.png

1 hour ago, iantt said:

I can't see that recall when I look. There is a recall outstanding but for a pcm update , and that is why it shows on mot gov service. 

Screenshot_20190722-182848.png

Interesting that the Op has a screenshot suggesting that there's a outstanding field action (seemingly from Ford ETIS) for the corroded bolt issue but it doesn't show when you look (Ian).  I can't understand how/why the information would be different (assuming that the screenshot from the Op is legitimate).

It is legit as he has posted the same info on a Facebook group. A few of us have the same etis page showing as I do. We can't understand why that recall is showing as there is no such recall released in the UK. That's why the dealers can't carry out recall that only exists in the us. 

But I do agree with him regarding it should be a recall on the early Mk5 Mondeo's. The bolts are obviously the same quality and will  corrode in the UK as well as the us. 

25 minutes ago, iantt said:

It is legit as he has posted the same info on a Facebook group. A few of us have the same etis page showing as I do. We can't understand why that recall is showing as there is no such recall released in the UK. That's why the dealers can't carry out recall that only exists in the us. 

But I do agree with him regarding it should be a recall on the early Mk5 Mondeo's. The bolts are obviously the same quality and will  corrode in the UK as well as the us. 

Interesting.

Although it wouldn't be the 1st time that Ford has been compelled to introduce a large scale recall in the USA and then given EU countries/customers the shaft over the exact same issue.

• Like 1

Yeah like the powershift dry clutch gearbox issues. Now in the usa dealers are now told to fix all powershift issues regardless of age or milage. Here, nothing. 

• Like 1

I have sent all the info i have to the ford Executive office 4 week ago now and still under investigation. I still get the recall on my laptop and phone and now have video's of me using the Ford.co.uk website.

Update from Ford today and there are doing the repair free of charge 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aido1608 said:

Update from Ford today and there are doing the repair free of charge 

Well done . Pays to be persistent. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello. I have had my steering rack replaced this week on my 15 plate mondeo for the same reasons as above. As much as the new rack is a new part I worry that I will be in this mess again sooner than I'd like. Could you tell me how you get a report on your vehicle in the Etis site? What are the codes that are needed to find your vehicle. I'd ideally like the bolts to be replaced with steel ones but would this make a better job than the aluminium ones on it? Thanks in advance. Grant. 

This doesn't quite answer your question, but if you go to the dvla website, there's a section you can click on that's about vehicle recalls. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Thanks for all the info on this thread, I have had the same issue as many people on here on my 64 plate Mondeo.  The bolts shearing on the steering rack leading to loss of steering. The noise I was getting was exactly the same as shown in link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&feature=emb_logo&v=nnPRrqFPa1k

I first of checked on Etis website to see of there were any recalls showing, which there weren't. (This is handy even just to get VIN number etc).

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

I then contacted the head office (email address below) to explain that I believed this to be a safety issue and that I thought Ford should cover this.  I also explained that I knew they were aware of the issue and that this was a recall in the US. They said that I needed to book this into a dealership before the issue could be diagnosed. I booked the car in and contacted head office once I had done so.  I also explained to the dealership that I had been in contact with someone.

UKCVSC1@ford.com

At the same time I reported a defect with the DVSA (link below) and got this reply back.

"Case 33075 – Ford Mondeo

Thank you for contacting DVSA regarding your Vehicle Defect Safety Report Case 33075 involving the Electric Power Steering Rack motor detachment on your Ford Mondeo xxxxxxx

DVSA investigates safety defects within the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects (the Code), which has the support of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (as amended). Please find attached a copy of the Consumer’s Guide to Vehicle Safety Defects for your information and a link to the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/code-of-practice-on-vehicle-safety-defects-and-recalls/vehicle-safety-defects-and-recalls-code-of-practice.

The aim being to establish if the defect is a failure due to design and/or construction, which is likely to affect the safe operation of the product without prior warning to the user and may pose a significant risk to the driver, occupants and others. This defect will also be common to a number of products that have been sold for use in the United Kingdom.

DVSA have previously investigated this concern with the manufacturer, who has confirmed that in the event of a broken fastener(s) and in all circumstances, a mechanical steering system is maintained at all times enabling the driver to control the vehicle. Whilst it is evident that significant effort is needed to manouver the vehicle from standstill, once the vehicle is in motion and as speed increases, the effort needed to manouver is greatly reduced.

While the failure of the assisted system may be of surprise to the driver, the ability to safely steer the vehicle bringing it to a stop still remains. The manufacturer has confirmed the unassisted steering system fully meets type approval.

DVSA has concluded the failure of steering assistance does not meet the safety criteria as set out within Section 3 of the Code of Practice (see link) and will now close this case.

However, while the loss of steering assistance does not meet the criteria for DVSA to insist the manufacturer should complete remedial action, we have recommended to Ford that voluntary action should be taken to address this. Ford are in the process of implementing a campaign to address this concern.

Please note that DVSA is unable to assist in any claim for reimbursement of repair costs or any other form of compensation.

DVSA would like to thank you for raising this case with us.

Kind Regards      Mark Hudson"

Anyway, long and short of it is, within 2 days Ford agreed to cover 100% of the work! 😀 They obviously know that this an significant issue and are willing to attend to on a case by case basis.  Hope this helps other people with the same issue.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott, yes it is a fairly well known problem, also these threads give more info

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/106780-mondeo-mk5-power-steering-major-failure/

https://talkford.com/community/topic/394099-steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla/

In view of what you can read you can see that Ford have been "promising a recall for a long time. Andy Barratt was the CEO Ford but he has stepped down very recently and replaced by Lisa Brankin. If anyone uses Lisa's  e mail address I would be inclined to double check it by phoning the office first as that address does not look right, vvincen6@ford.com

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-8960

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/gb/en/news/2020/10/26/lisa-brankin-appointed-managing-director--ford-of-britain-and-ir.html#:~:text=LISA BRANKIN APPOINTED MANAGING DIRECTOR,Great Britain | Ford Media Center

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have received the letter from Ford telling me that there is a recall on my Mondeo for the Steering gear motor bolts but on the government site it states that there are no outstanding safety recalls for my car.

How long does it actually take a Ford garage to do this work for the recall?

All depends if they change the bolts or the whole rack.  If bolts then about 2 hrs if they have them in stock. if a rack you could be looking up to 3 weeks to get a rack in at the dealers.  Just tell them if they need to keep the car in that your a key worker and need a car to get around while yours is off the road.  If not you might need to email ford exec

Hi Gary, can you please be good enough to let us know how you got on when visiting the dealer and how you got on

Also can you please advise the build date of your vehicle or, if not, the 1st registration date - thank you

On 3/24/2021 at 7:34 PM, GaryReds said:

How long does it actually take a Ford garage to do this work for the recall?

About an hour to do the recall unless it needs a new steering rack, in which case I'd leave it a day as it's a fairly big job (subframe removal) 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club