Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quickshifter for Mk 8 1.0 ecoboost

Eric Bloodaxe

I keep reading road tests that refer to the "short and precise" shift on the Mk 8. Unfortunately mine isn't, I find it long in throw and a bit rubbery in feel. My dealer had a look at the 12 month check and could find no actual fault, though they did mention they had received the odd similar comment from other customers.

Anyway, I see Pumaspeed are now doing a quickshifter for the Mk 8 1.0 which looks like a pretty easy install and I am toying with giving it a try. Wondered if anyone on here had tried one yet, or had any comments on the pros and cons of quickshifters in general? Thanks, all.

Popular mod on Porsches. No downside IMO !

It can make the gearbox stiffer to use when cold and generally harder work. If it’s a new thing has there been any feedback yet?

35 minutes ago, LondonFiesta said:

It can make the gearbox stiffer to use when cold and generally harder work. If it’s a new thing has there been any feedback yet?

No customer reviews on site as yet, hence my asking on here. If it did make the gearshift stiffer/harder work it would be a downside for me. Due to "accident damage" in the past I have reduced strength/function in the left arm/hand so would have to avoid anything making the shift heavier. So perhaps it might not be a good idea for me!😀

Just stuck a quickshifter on the mk7.5. Really good, throw is a lot shorter and much more precise. People have said they can make the gears "notchy" can't say i have noticed anything like that, in fact i am finding it hard to find any downside so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LesPes said:

in fact i am finding it hard to find any downside so far.

So change feels no heavier, then?

12 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

So change feels no heavier, then?

Not at all, slick and precise. A lot better than the standard shift which in fairness wasn't bad the only thing about it was the throw.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of the Pumaspeed short shifters on order and it should be here by the end of the week. Should be able to fit it and give some feedback on the difference if you're wondering?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daggerit said:

I have one of the Pumaspeed short shifters on order and it should be here by the end of the week. Should be able to fit it and give some feedback on the difference if you're wondering?

That would be great, thanks👍 How is your shift at the mo? - presume you find the throw overlong to be going for the quickshifter but do you have any other issues with it? It's actually the "rubberiness" I mentioned that bugs me most rather than the throw, so I probably wouldn't  bother if all it did was shorten the throw but still felt the same otherwise - hope that makes sense!

In fairness I must say that mine does seem to have improved as the miles have built up (but not the throw, obviously!)

I wouldn't say that mine is overly 'rubbery', I bought it more because I think the shorter shift would suit the car a bit better.  I have less than 200 miles on it though, so maybe I've just not noticed the rubbery feeling that you're talking about yet.  Haha.

Once the shifter is on I'll get back to you with my feelings and whether it sharpens it up as well as reducing the throw significantly.

31 minutes ago, Daggerit said:

I wouldn't say that mine is overly 'rubbery', I bought it more because I think the shorter shift would suit the car a bit better.  I have less than 200 miles on it though, so maybe I've just not noticed the rubbery feeling that you're talking about yet.  Haha.

Once the shifter is on I'll get back to you with my feelings and whether it sharpens it up as well as reducing the throw significantly.

There is a thread on here somewhere about issues with the Mk 8 gearshift, but as only a couple of members have posted on it, must assume there aren't many complaints. 

• Like 1

So, having installed the short shift kit this morning I thought I'd give some feedback as I said I would.  :)

Basically just took 10 minutes with a large flat head screwdriver and a 5mm (I think that's the size...) Allen key.  Removed the pipe that runs from the airbox to the back of the engine and was able to install it without pulling the airbox out of the car.

I went straight for the highest reduction in throw and it's made a noticeable difference, the options are 15, 25 and 35% reduction in throw.  I would say that the gearstick moves maybe 1.5" as an estimate to get into gear, which is significantly nicer than the OEM shift in my opinion and I think that it suits the little hatch character.  I don't think that it's changed the actual feel of the gear change at all, so if you have a 'rubbery' feeling change I imagine it would still be there as all the old hardware is retained and the kit just changes the pivot point where your gear selector cable connects.

All in I think it was a good £50 spend for me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Daggerit said:

So, having installed the short shift kit this morning I thought I'd give some feedback as I said I would

Many thanks for that Dan! I'll have to ponder what to do....😀

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/2/2019 at 9:56 AM, Daggerit said:

So, having installed the short shift kit this morning I thought I'd give some feedback as I said I would.  🙂

Basically just took 10 minutes with a large flat head screwdriver and a 5mm (I think that's the size...) Allen key.  Removed the pipe that runs from the airbox to the back of the engine and was able to install it without pulling the airbox out of the car.

I went straight for the highest reduction in throw and it's made a noticeable difference, the options are 15, 25 and 35% reduction in throw.  I would say that the gearstick moves maybe 1.5" as an estimate to get into gear, which is significantly nicer than the OEM shift in my opinion and I think that it suits the little hatch character.  I don't think that it's changed the actual feel of the gear change at all, so if you have a 'rubbery' feeling change I imagine it would still be there as all the old hardware is retained and the kit just changes the pivot point where your gear selector cable connects.

All in I think it was a good £50 spend for me!

Just wondering what if your verdict still stands after X years?

Can't speak for Dan, but some other comments on this thread:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/122192-mk8-pumaspeed-quick-shift/

As you will see, a couple of us have tried it recently and didn't get on with it, others like it, so it may be a Marmite thing!😀

• Like 2

Wouldn't be without it after almost a year. Hayed the 'loose' feel of the standard shift. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scottyghia said:

Wouldn't be without it after almost a year. Hayed the 'loose' feel of the standard shift. 

Yes, you're obviously a "like", Scot.

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal to try it anyway - 30 quid or so and under half an hour to fit (x 2 if you don't get on with it and take it off again.)😀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just fitted one and it failed immediately after a 20min drive! Had to fix it immediately at the end of a roundabout :wallbash:

The screws just went off and I lost gears afterwards, can only retrieve 1 out of the 3 screws

Shall I use some loctite next time ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HC8644 said:

The screws just went off and I lost gears afterwards, can only retrieve 1 out of the 3 screws

Shall I use some loctite next time ?

You don't mention the brand of quickshifter, but given the lengthy thread on the Allen screws on the Pumaspeed one I tried, that's a bit surprising. Are you sure it was tightened correctly?

Anyway, certainly no harm in using a spot of loctite, as some of the other guys have done.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You don't mention the brand of quickshifter, but given the lengthy thread on the Allen screws on the Pumaspeed one I tried, that's a bit surprising. Are you sure it was tightened correctly?

Anyway, certainly no harm in using a spot of loctite, as some of the other guys have done.

Thanks mate, no I am not using the one from Pumaspeed but from another brand - guess their design is somehow identical.

I am sure I have tightened the two screws correctly but the one under the battery is really hard to do - might try using loctite next time anyway