Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AC stopped working

zain611

Hey guys, 

Another worry for me but not long ago I drove to the local shop with the AC on. When I arrived I noticed a bit of smoke around the car. Got out and could see it was coming from the car. Kind of looked to be underneath, hard to tell as there was a little breeze. When I turned the AC off a few seconds later the smoke went and the fan. Went shop and came back and checked the AC again. The light for the AC comes on however the revs don't build up now and it seems it does work now. 

Any suggestions 😢. Of all days as well the car was showing 40'C! 

Is it the first time you've used it since last summer?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Is it the first time you've used it since last summer?

Had it regassed a few weeks ago and had been using it since. Just really worried at the moment. 

I did start the car and had the AC on whilst idling say for about 2 minutes before moving off before this problem. Don't know if that might be a cause. 

What may of happened is the compressor clutch may have failed causing the smoke and the ECU may have noticed that hence the AC not engaging anymore 

• 2 weeks later...

So to update today took the wheel off and looked at the compressor. The wheel moves really easily so that may mean it has broken. Sadly also there is no gas 😭. Couldn't find any leaks from the engine but because of the compressor hopefully it's that which caused it. May get a second hand compressor and hopefully that fixes it and another regas. 

DSC_0337.JPG

• Like 1

The compressor pulley should move easily when not engaged so there's no unnecessary load on the engine with the AC off.  The compressor itself should have some resistance but not a huge amount if there's no gas left.

Next thing to do would be to have it pressure tested with Nitrogen, the Nitrogen is safe to vent to air and you'll hear where the leak comes from.  You can then use soapy water in a spray bottle to prove any air leaks like you would with a boost leak.  I wouldn't waste money on the compressor until you can prove it's faulty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The compressor pulley should move easily when not engaged so there's no unnecessary load on the engine with the AC off.  The compressor itself should have some resistance but not a huge amount if there's no gas left.

Next thing to do would be to have it pressure tested with Nitrogen, the Nitrogen is safe to vent to air and you'll hear where the leak comes from.  You can then use soapy water in a spray bottle to prove any air leaks like you would with a boost leak.  I wouldn't waste money on the compressor until you can prove it's faulty.

My dad checked and said the compressor wheel is moving really easily and loose so he believes the compressor is gone. Possibly the driveshaft what you call it may have snapped between the compressor wheel and internal. That smoke I mentioned may of been the gas escaping. Was looking around the engine with a UV light and couldn't seem to find a leak or trace of dye. Will see what to do. 

• Like 1

Make sure the condenser or a line hasn't taken a bit of road damage or a hit. Seen it loads of times people getting compressors, driers, ect changed only to find a rock has punctured something

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Static said:

Make sure the condenser or a line hasn't taken a bit of road damage or a hit. Seen it loads of times people getting compressors, driers, ect changed only to find a rock has punctured something

Yeah I'm thinking of doing a leak test to see if it was the compressor which leaked out the gas. The condenser wheel spins really easily however best to be sure. Can't seem to see any dye leaks 

Tracer dye is a pain to be honest. I've seen whole engine bays glow because of pinhole leaks. If you use the light to check every join or where you suspect the leak, the dye should be concentrated enough that you may see like a trickle line where the compressor oil has leaked and is mixed with the dye. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Static said:

Tracer dye is a pain to be honest. I've seen whole engine bays glow because of pinhole leaks. If you use the light to check every join or where you suspect the leak, the dye should be concentrated enough that you may see like a trickle line where the compressor oil has leaked and is mixed with the dye. 

I haven't seen any dye leaks yet so hopefully if I do come to finding it in one place that that is where the leak came from. Probably next week will get the bumper off to get a good look at the front. 

Just off the top of my head, check the connection where it joins the condenser, should be able to see with the bumper still on behind the lower grill. I had that go on my old car due to a bad seal. It was a FoMoCo Mazda 6 so could be a seal issue.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club