Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Dpf P242f-61 reset?

Deltamansam

Hi all, 

I have a Ford ford focus 2008 1.6tdci

I had the fault code p242f-61 - Ash accumulation. 

I purchased and fitted a new dpf today yet the fault code remains despite my best efforts to reset it with forscan. I even reset dpf learned values. 

Any idea how I can get the fault code to clear? 

Thanks in Advance, 

Sam. 

This code is a pain to clear even to with Forscan.  There is a method that works for some people bit I can't remember it.  Think it may be @Tdci-Peter who mentioned it before!

44 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

This code is a pain to clear even to with Forscan.  There is a method that works for some people bit I can't remember it.  Think it may be @Tdci-Peter who mentioned it before!

@TomsFocus & @Deltamansam I think the method is to disconnect the MAF sensor, start the engine, switch it off and there will be a fault code for the MAF as well. You can then clear both codes.

I don't know if this method works with the 2008 models or not.

• Like 1

Thanks to both for you for the help. I'll test this method and report back. 

Thanks, 

Sam. 

Thanks for the help everyone. 

As per above I disconnected the maf sensor and was able to reset using forscan

Dpf values now at 0.2kpa idle, so a huge reduction.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

I used the launch C129Evo to fix my P242f problem which I purchased from amazon

https://amzn.to/3NE1Y8O

I tried the sensor unplugging trick to clear the error code and that worked. It only though lasted for about 6 miles before Engine Malfunction came back and it went into limp mode.

I should say that I had also had my DPF cleaned by Jimmy at O’Rileys. Search for him on YT and look for the Black Ford Focus vid with the P242F and P2458. That is my vehicle. I can’t recommend enough you use this guy for any problem let alone DPF ones. Ignore any garages who say your DPF is knackered or it needs to be cut up to be cleaned etc. Just contact Jimmy.

Try this link

So it worked for a few weeks after that but because I do short journeys, only 2 miles to work and 2 back I don’t really go that far so the P242F error appeared again.

I checked the soot levels using the reader and they were still only 0.2 which is well within limits. I then as said above did the sensor trick which allowed me to erase but the error soon came back.

So this time I tried a Dynamic regeneration using the reader. I followed the instructions and just drove at a steady pace still in limp mode, around 60mph in 4th gear and it started to run the program. It had certain conditions that you had to keep to such as being over 38mph and not slowing for more than 300 seconds I think it was. It started at 800 seconds and when it hit 500 seconds it skipped the rest and said it was completed. I am guessing it was so quick because of the Regeneration Jimmy had done so no soot or ash to really clear.

So I pulled over, switched off the engine and switched back on to the on position II. The engine malfunction came back on. I then did a code read and sure enough the P242F was there. So I then did the reset code option via the reader and this time it cleared by its own doing. I switched off then on  and voila no engine malfunction light on. I drove for a good 20 miles and the car was totally fine. I am now almost certain that the dynamic regeneration done by the reader has fixed it.

6 minutes ago, aj2703 said:

I used the launch C129Evo to fix my P242f problem which I purchased from Amazon

That's a very expensive code reader at £259.00 that actually has less functions than using FORScan (free) on a windows laptop with an £18.49 ELM327(modified) cable.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM327(modified) cable: https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

• Like 1

Hi yes compared to that it is. However I don't like the idea of having to use a laptop etc all the time and I will almost certainly have different non ford cars so can use this with them. Forscan is good but I'd rather have something more portable that can also do other makes etc. This also does not need charging before hand as it charges when plugged in.

It's up to you though what you use unofix. I am just quoting what I did and used. If you compare to garage rates to do the same thing a code read and engine regen etc I got the reader virtually for free along with use for other vehicles and makes.

The Phone versions of FORScan cost about £6 and knock spots off that Launch one, Its like night and day.

It only works with Ford/Mazda cars and you do need a proper Adaptor though and Wireless ones that work properly can cost about £40.

Yeah I know I have both the phone and windows versions with the proper MS / HS adaptor type. Pretty sure the phone versions are limited though compared to the windows one.

I still prefer the Launch one myself as said earlier I can use with other cars too. 

I am not telling people what to buy. I am just letting people know what I used to cure the problem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club