Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Sync 3 F8 Updates

ChrisLocalBoy

Morning all,

I've been trying in vain for the last couple of days to apply the F8 map updates.

Put my VIN into the Ford site, no software updates but showing a large map update (23.2gb once downloaded)

Left the stick plugged in for over an hour and nothing at all is showing in the screen.

Everything is correct, exfat formatted stick, 3 files etc etc.

Even bought a new stick..... still nothing.

No the stick is getting hot so its doing something, but this has to be the poorest user interface design I've ever seen (I work in IT!), why is there simply not a message to say the USB/update has been detected and files are being copied etc so you at least know something is happening.

Has anyone managed to update their MK8 with these F8 updates yet? if so can you detail the exact steps you took and roughly how long it was until you got any kind of notification on screen? also..... what USB sticks are you guys using? (I bought a new one with a much faster transfer rate but still nothing!)

Thanks in advance

Chris

Thete is an issue with 2018 vehicles which will hopefully get sorted with F9 maps there is a large thread on map update s have a look at that younwill find it useful

36 minutes ago, ChrisLocalBoy said:

Morning all,

I've been trying in vain for the last couple of days to apply the F8 map updates.

Put my VIN into the Ford site, no software updates but showing a large map update (23.2gb once downloaded)

Left the stick plugged in for over an hour and nothing at all is showing in the screen.

Everything is correct, exfat formatted stick, 3 files etc etc.

Even bought a new stick..... still nothing.

No the stick is getting hot so its doing something, but this has to be the poorest user interface design I've ever seen (I work in IT!), why is there simply not a message to say the USB/update has been detected and files are being copied etc so you at least know something is happening.

Has anyone managed to update their MK8 with these F8 updates yet? if so can you detail the exact steps you took and roughly how long it was until you got any kind of notification on screen? also..... what USB sticks are you guys using? (I bought a new one with a much faster transfer rate but still nothing!)

Thanks in advance

Chris

If you've been offered F8 update it should work. Sync3 does tell you  its updating when its installing from USB .I suspect there's either something not right with your download or unzipped files on USB. You may have to start again. 

Within about a minute of plugging the USB in, it should come up top left of the screen saying updating system software.

Have you unplugged all other USB devices? Turned off auto-stop start?

What version of system software do you have? F8 requires 18025 minimum afaik.

Can you post a screenshot of the root of your USB drive? What filesystem is it using?

5 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Within about a minute of plugging the USB in, it should come up top left of the screen saying updating system software.

Have you unplugged all other USB devices? Turned off auto-stop start?

What version of system software do you have? F8 requires 18025 minimum afaik.

Can you post a screenshot of the root of your USB drive? What filesystem is it using?

Thanks for the replies....

No other USB devices connected and yes, stop/start is turned off.

Software version is already 18025

Root of my USB as per attachment (I know this is correct) formatted using exFAT.

Re-downloaded and un-zipped the files fresh twice now.

Tried on both an existing USB stick and a brand new Sandisk 64Gb one (both USB 3.0)..... I know these function fine with the car because one of them normally has all my music on (before I backed up and formatted it to exFAT) which is detected and plays without any issue.

I had the exact same issues when I installed the F7 maps, everyone seemed to be getting a notification within a few minutes...... but mine took 45mins to an hour before anything came up on screen.... but this time I cant get it to work at all.

USBProperties.jpg

USBRoot.jpg

6 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Thete is an issue with 2018 vehicles which will hopefully get sorted with F9 maps there is a large thread on map update s have a look at that younwill find it useful

Do you have a link for the thread? if its the same one I keep coming across on Google then yes I've read it but I didn't see anything mentioning an issue with 2018 models or anything about an fix for this during F9, is this a confirmed/acknowledged issue from Ford?

Cheers

Chris

Well..... I couldn't make this up!

Less than 5 minutes after posting my above replies, I went out and tried the same stick again, which I again freshly formatted and un-zipped the files to (for the 4th time) again today, the exact same way I'd done it on my previous attempts.

Didn't even start the car this time with it being so hot, just fired up the head unit, let it fully boot and inserted the stick, almost instantly got the message about a software update being detected and its now installing.

Hand on heart did nothing different at all in terms of the files or the USB stick.

Oh well... at least its running now!

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisLocalBoy said:

Do you have a link for the thread? if its the same one I keep coming across on Google then yes I've read it but I didn't see anything mentioning an issue with 2018 models or anything about an fix for this during F9, is this a confirmed/acknowledged issue from Ford?

Cheers

Chris

F8 problem concerns some late MY18 and early MY19 vehicles because of incompatibilities between the Sync head unit and the download software. Ford have told some of us who registered complaints with them that it will be resolved with the F9 release in 2020.

They dont seem to intend to do anything about it before then and I doubt if many dealers even know about this. Mine certainly doesn't because as they said Map software is the customers responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

F8 problem concerns some late MY18 and early MY19 vehicles because of incompatibilities between the Sync head unit and the download software. Ford have told some of us who registered complaints with them that it will be resolved with the F9 release in 2020.

They dont seem to intend to do anything about it before then and I doubt if many dealers even know about this. Mine certainly doesn't because as they said Map software is the customers responsibility.

Fair enough mate, thanks for the update.

Appears mines not affected by this as I've just this second finished both parts of the update and uploaded my log file.

Thanks all!

I note you are using usb 3, all the guidance I have seen online states a preference for usb 2 and I use some fairly cheap scan disk 32gb drives. 

3 minutes ago, Sjwhite said:

I note you are using usb 3, all the guidance I have seen online states a preference for usb 2 and I use some fairly cheap scan disk 32gb drives. 

I think I’ve seen something suggesting using usb 2 before but can’t really see why. USB ports and USB sticks are both compatible with either generation so can’t really see any legitimate reasons behind suggesting usb 2 as the one to use.

I use a usb 3.0 drive, it will only operate at 2.0 but you have the benefit of faster flash saturating the bandwidth rather than potentially slow band on usb 2.0 drives.

It shouldn't make a difference. I know sync can be fussy about drives, but that could be said about 2.0 ones too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club