MalcolmW

New Ford Focus Mk 4 windscreen trim

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Just looked under my wife's mk8 zetec fiesta and my MK4 Focus stlinex and the rear setup looks exactly the same.

19 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Probably the real issue is that you guys have bought a car believing it had something and it turns out not to, nobody told you about the change and offered you the opportunity to re-think, and I doubt they'll be offering any compensation despite the beam being a cheaper system (which is not to say it's not worth a try or at least giving the dealer an ear bashing!

What is worse is that anyone ordering one today will still think they will get Multi-link Suspension because that is what Ford's latest online specification still says. There is still no mention of the downgraded Tyre size for my car.

@Guy HeatonIf you need any further confirmation, here is a photo of Twist Beam suspension as fitted to my car.

DSC_0623.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that looks just like mine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tizer said:

anyone ordering one today will still think they will get Multi-link Suspension because that is what Ford's latest online specification still says.

The brochure "get-out clause" states that the specifications may vary and you should always check with your dealer at the time of ordering. You might clarify if it had electric windows or parking sensors etc, but who would think to check what type of suspension was fitted? And would the dealer know anyway - probably not, in most people's experience. They were still sticking to the line that Sync 3 was upgradeable via Wi-Fi long after we had all discovered it wasn't!😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people specifically ordered the 1.5 ECOboost hatchback because of the multilink independent rear suspension. After Months of waiting the car arrived and turned out to have the torsion beam rear suspension without even being notified that Ford changed the specifications. There are also people that ordered a 1.5 ECOboost hatchback with the adaptive suspension and after 7 Months of waiting (the expected production date changed several times) they were notified that the car they ordered is no longer available.

A significant change of the technical specifications like the rear suspension system will probably be a legit reason to reject the car or cancel the order. Especially because until today Ford has not yet corrected the information on brochures / website while the technical changes were introduced Months ago.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did like that the stlinex had the multilink over the baser models otherwise what's the point of paying for a higher spec?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Some people specifically ordered the 1.5 ECOboost hatchback because of the multilink independent rear suspension. After Months of waiting the car arrived and turned out to have the torsion beam rear suspension without even being notified that Ford changed the specifications. There are also people that ordered a 1.5 ECOboost hatchback with the adaptive suspension and after 7 Months of waiting (the expected production date changed several times) they were notified that the car they ordered is no longer available.

A significant change of the technical specifications like the rear suspension system will probably be a legit reason to reject the car or cancel the order. Especially because until today Ford has not yet corrected the information on brochures / website while the technical changes were introduced Months ago.

That is exactly the position that I'm in. I have thought about rejecting the car but I would need to buy an earlier model to get what I was expecting.

What is also annoying is that I still have not had a straight answer from Ford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So update to my MK4 issues.

New Windscreen trim is going to be replaced tomorrow, although the dealer tried to make out at first that someone had deliberately broke it. (it came off whilst doing 60mph on the motorway after 2 weeks of owning the car).

Other issues so far, was a bad crackling sound coming from centre console, like an electrical short, but seemed to have stopped now.

Only other issue is the stop/start.  Seems very sensitive to battery charge.  The whole idea of getting an Ecoboost engine, is that it is fuel efficient.  So to get that efficiency you need to keep the revs down.  Problem is is you drive very carefully, and after a while, your not putting enough charge into the battery so the stop/start does not work.  Today I had to drive 15-20 miles with the engine around 3500-4000rpm to put a decent charge in the battery for the stop/start to work again.

Also does not help that the climate control seems to always want to have the aircon on, even if you set the temp to be slightly higher than the outside temp, guess that's not helping the battery drain.  With all the electrics and gadgets in the Titanium, really think they should have fitted two batteries.

Economy so far is very good.  Managed to get an average of 60.1 mpg on a trip from London to Evesham last week.

As for the suspension, have to say not really noticed the difference between the torsion beam on the Mk4 and my old multi link MK 2.5 Focus, but don't drive hard or fast.

I do like the car, but will agree the build quality is not as good as my old Mk 2.5 Titanium, which I would have loved to have kept , but the 1.8 Diesel engine, needed new injectors, new cam belt and new EGR valve, and as I live in London, would have had to pay the UL emissions charge from 2021. so scrapped it as part of the Ford Scheme and got £2000 off the new car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, JW1982 said:

Below the changes Ford made in April/May:

* Just one boot light instead of two on the hatchback versions.
* The rear doors do no longer have keyless sensors.
* Active suspension no longer available for 1.5 ECOboost
* 1.5 ECOboost hatchback versions (except Active and Vignale) gets the torsion beam rear suspension instead of the independent rear suspension (only the 2.0 ECOblue diesel hatchback version has the independent rear suspension).
* Adjustable boot floor no longer available.
* New headlight design. ST-Line and Titanium get black headlights. All others (including Active) get chrome headlights.
* New type of Keyless remote with integrated motion sensor. On the new remotes the keyless signal is only transmitted when the key detects motion. When no motion is detected the key enters sleep mode.
* Heated washerjets no longer present.
* Shark tail antenna Focus Active no longer painted in body color (except vehicles with panoramic roof).

 

Changes which are announced for October:

* Shadow Black will be replaced by a new black color (English color name is not yet announced, German name is "Obsidian Schwarz").
* New blue color will be intoduced (English color name is not yet announced, German name is "Panther Blau").
* Diffused Silver no longer available.
* Dark Mulberry no longer available.
* Orange Glow no longer available.

 

The source of this information are leaked internal documents from Ford and information supplied by Ford dealers. I just collected this information from several German forums. At this moment most of the changes are confirmed by people who received their new vehicle.

Bought My MK 4 Titanium in July.

Has two lights in boot.

All four doors have keyless sensors.

Has the new motion type key fobs.

Headlights are Chrome

shark tail antenna is same as body colour (black)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

So update to my MK4 issues.

Good to see you've had some progress on this - it seems par for the course now for the dealer to blame a third party for the trim flying off!

Btw, can't tell which engine you have from earlier posts - I'm guessing 1.0?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

Bought My MK 4 Titanium in July.

Has two lights in boot.

All four doors have keyless sensors.

Has the new motion type key fobs.

Headlights are Chrome

shark tail antenna is same as body colour (black

@MalcolmW, That is interesting. Do you know the Build date of your car?. If it was not built for you then it may have been a stock car that was built before the changes.

My Titanium has a May Build date and is exactly as JW1982 posted. Mine is the standard Titanium, not the Titanium X.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tizer said:

@MalcolmW, That is interesting. Do you know the Build date of your car?. If it was not built for you then it may have been a stock car that was built before the changes.

My Titanium has a May Build date and is exactly as JW1982 posted. Mine is the standard Titanium, not the Titanium X.

My PDI stamp in the service book was April 2019.  And its a Titanium as well not a Titanium X, also came with rear privacy glass as standard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Good to see you've had some progress on this - it seems par for the course now for the dealer to blame a third party for the trim flying off!

Btw, can't tell which engine you have from earlier posts - I'm guessing 1.0?

Yes 1.0 Ecoboost 125PS.  Happy with the performance, definitely better than my old 1.8 TDCI focus for acceleration and response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

My PDI stamp in the service book was April 2019

Lucky you, your car must have been built before the changes to the specifications were implemented.

 

7 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

Other issues so far, was a bad crackling sound coming from centre console, like an electrical short, but seemed to have stopped now

It is interesting that you mentioned about the crackling. All my Audio has stopped working and when it happened I'm sure I heard a sort of pop/crackling sound from the steering wheel area and it has never worked since, so there may be a problem with the wiring with these cars.It's been to the dealers already but there is a communication problem between some of the Modules. They wanted to keep it overnight to strip the whole of the dash but I couldn't leave it at the time so it is booked in again next week and they tell me that they have reserved me a courtesy car for the whole week!

I usually switch my Stop Start off, but I have heard that other people were having the same problems as you. Apart from keeping the battery charged, if the 1.0 engine cars are also now fitted with Gasoline Particulate Filters then it is recommended to use the engines full Rev range to allow the filter to regenerate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the Focus is slowly going downhill, whilst better equipped than older versions it seems to have fallen victim to costcutting and build quality issues. Worried it might end up like the Escort, although I'm sure Ford won't allow that to happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update

Had replacement trim fitted this morning, all seems good.  Looks like the outer trim broke, as there was some kind of retaining clip that was missing.

Stop/start seems to be ok now, keeping the revs above 2500, although if you go with the gear changes when the dashboard prompts you to, id probably stall the car.  Tells me to put the car in 6th gear, when im doing 40mph.  No more crackling sound from the centre console, so far, so hopefully all is good.  One of the big problems where I live, is that they shut down 3 Ford dealerships around my area, so the one closest to me is now banged out.  usually have to wait 3-4 weeks for an appointment.

Also noticed the infotainment system is very selective about what kind of cable you use for Android Auto to work.  Tried a couple of cables I had and only one of them worked.  Seems you have to make sure the cable is wired for both charge and data, as some of the cheap cables only support charge.

Do love having Google assistant in the car, you never know when you need to find out "how high the Eiffel Tower is " !!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

  Tells me to put the car in 6th gear, when im doing 40mph.  

I suppose that might be ok on a slight downgrade😀. Don't know how the gear ratios compare Focus to Fiesta (and my 140 is lower geared than the 125) but 40 in 6th is about 1500 rpm in mine. I've found in happiest sticking to 2nd@20, 3rd@30, 4th@40, 5th@50 and 6th@60, which are all round about 2300rpm - certainly gives more control and makes it easier to avoid drifting over the limit. Driven like that I get mid-high 40s day to day, low 50s on a decent run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've found in happiest sticking to 2nd@20, 3rd@30, 4th@40, 5th@50 and 6th@60, which are all round about 2300rpm - certainly gives more control and makes it easier to avoid drifting over the limit.

That is how I drive mine as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had a manual I'd have to tippex out that stupid change indicator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, Tizer said:

Lucky you, your car must have been built before the changes to the specifications were implemented.

 

It is interesting that you mentioned about the crackling. All my Audio has stopped working and when it happened I'm sure I heard a sort of pop/crackling sound from the steering wheel area and it has never worked since, so there may be a problem with the wiring with these cars.It's been to the dealers already but there is a communication problem between some of the Modules. They wanted to keep it overnight to strip the whole of the dash but I couldn't leave it at the time so it is booked in again next week and they tell me that they have reserved me a courtesy car for the whole week!

I usually switch my Stop Start off, but I have heard that other people were having the same problems as you. Apart from keeping the battery charged, if the 1.0 engine cars are also now fitted with Gasoline Particulate Filters then it is recommended to use the engines full Rev range to allow the filter to regenerate. 

Hi Managed to create an account on Ford ETIS and get the build date of the Focus, it was 26/03/2109

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Hi Managed to create an account on Ford ETIS and get the build date of the Focus, it was 26/03/2109

Ha ha presumably it could fly to the moon as well👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Ha ha presumably it could fly to the moon as well👍

We'll probably be living on the moon by then!  Well, not us specifically... :laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Hi Managed to create an account on Ford ETIS and get the build date of the Focus, it was 26/03/2109

Mine was May 2019. P.S. @MalcolmW slight typo, you put 2109 as the year, hence the comments above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone having bother with the handbrake.Mine comes off ok but hit and miss with coming on.Only had the car half an hour and nearly lost it down a bank.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mean when you manually engage it or in  auto brake mode ?.

I find sometimes autobrake turns itself off for no reason and has to be switched back on ( if you want it on )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tizer said:

Mine was May 2019. P.S. @MalcolmW slight typo, you put 2109 as the year, hence the comments above.

Funny thing was the dealers name was "Doc" and his assistant was called "Marty" !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.