Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bought a new car today, Running In

auldreekie

Signed on the dotted line today in dealers showroom and take delivery on Monday coming of a brand new 2019 Fiesta Active 1.0l ecoboost 125 ps, got given a choice of registration plate no' and found one to suit my initials, bonus.

Regarding break in (running in) period, handbook mentions break in period 1000 miles, should I arrange a oil/filter change around 500 miles to flush out any metal shavings/debris or leave it until the 1000 miles has been completed?

Ford say there is no need for a running in service and the service schedule is 18000 miles or 2 years. Others on these forums have had an oil and filter changed annually, which I will also do, but no need for a first service

I do find it strange that 18000 miles or 2 years is a service interval with no running in service. 

I'm sure the Ford dealer I used is recommending 1200 miles or 1 year for first service. Sometimes you wonder who is right and who is giving BS. 😕

1 hour ago, ElliotReid said:

Ford say there is no need for a running in service and the service schedule is 18000 miles or 2 years. Others on these forums have had an oil and filter changed annually, which I will also do, but no need for a first service. 

I do find it strange that 18000 miles or 2 years is a service interval with no running in service. 

Wow, the service schedule has changed a bit since buying my 1.0 Fiesta in 2015 I think 12500 miles is enough for oil in a modern turbo engine.

I don't believe that modern engines really need running in due to how accurate the equipment is that's used to manufacture them but saying that I drove my fiesta for over 500 miles before revving it to the redline. Having built a few engines and working in that environment the most important part is piston ring sealing to the bores before they get glazed.

Edited by Eatonm112
more information

I have never really ‘broken a car in’ before. Just drive it sensibly and try to avoid heavy braking as you would normally, in relation to revs I just drive as normal if I needed to push it for an overtake then I would but wouldn’t sit on the redline for a prolonged period. 

Defo check the tyre pressure and wheel nuts after 500mls and the fluid levels and again at 1000mls, I didn’t change any filters or oil until the first 12K service.

I bought a Granada Scorpio 4x4 new some years ago.   I ran it in carefully, serviced at 1000 miles and 5000 miles.   It did 178,000 miles and never used a drop of oil.

It used to be advised to do an oil and filter at around 1000 miles, logic being that during run in there's more swarf from the metal facings bedding in, so give it a fresh filter after 1000 miles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club