Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMAX - Brake Caliper Bolts

Martin Cole

So, i am in the process of trying to change my front brakes on my 2017 SMAX. I got the pads from the dealer, however, the caliper bolts to release the calipers from the discs require a certain type of spanner/socket. Does anyone know what type i need to get and where I can get it from and what size (mm)...??

Thanks in advance...

20190723_171609.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi Martin,

I have just come across exactly the same problem. Did you manage to get the correct size tool for doing it.? If so could I please ask you what it was as I need to do mine.

Thanks Tom

Is it not a 7mm allen key?

• 4 weeks later...

I’m sure it’s a 11mm hex. Mr friend did mine and his tool just worked as it was about to slip. Sure it was 10mm he was using. 

• 3 months later...

Just come across the same on my S-Max.

Definitely 11mm hex. Had to order it in especially as none available locally.

Still 7mm on some models.

Also, don't make my mistake, double check the pads you're buying, mine were 2 piston brake system with pads 192mm long..... some models are still single piston.

20200725_185349 (5).jpg

All mk2 s-max’s are twin piston callipers and 11mm hex for bolts.  The confusion might have had, is the year of your car. As you could also still get mk1’s.  In 2015. 

Cheers, that makes sense........

Euro Car Parts website listed two varieties, but as you say, I should have checked more thoroughly because it could've covered two model years and also added to that, i am an idiot!

Anyway, apart from that hiccup, the rest of the job went OK apart from those Bast**d spring clips.I'm sure there's a technique to getting them off, but I didn't find it.

The joy of being a (bad) DIY mechanic.

Onto the next job!

Don’t be to hard on yourself, everyone has to start somewhere. Eurocar parts is notorious for being widely out on its parts listings.