Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaky drum brake

F0CUE

My passenger rear drum creaks when applied is this a matter of it needing greased in the backing plates?

Anyone? I did use copper grease the last time I had them apart but the noise has returned and seems worse.

do you mean it creaks as you pull the lever up?, I am wondering if it is the cable that needs attention

No it's when I brake you hear it creak at the rear passenger side it's very annoying.

Springs or sticky mechanism possibly.
Take the drum off and operate it to see if you can pinpoint the problem.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

May just need a good clean up with "brake cleaner" then lube with brake grease . Often a problem with drums.

Thanks guys I hate these brakes worst things made ever lol

I converted mine to discs 18 months ago so glad I did.

strip it down, clean and reassemble

• Like 1

Solved was really dry in there greased the backing plates noise gone for now thanks all.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok so it's back again and everything is defo greased it's only noticeable on slow braking. Can anything else contribute to this like the shocks, bearings or swaybar? It's kind of hard to diagnose cos you need to be moving it does do it for a bit when stationary but the pistons get the limits and it stops.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, wilto said:

I converted mine to discs 18 months ago so glad I did.

I have seen the guide and have always thought about doing it the thing I don't like is the removal of heat shields and figuring out the cables. How long did it take you and was it easy enough?

On 9/6/2019 at 9:24 PM, F0CUE said:

Ok so it's back again and everything is defo greased it's only noticeable on slow braking. Can anything else contribute to this like the shocks, bearings or swaybar? It's kind of hard to diagnose cos you need to be moving it does do it for a bit when stationary but the pistons get the limits and it stops

Have you tried chamfering the leading and trailing edges of the linings? Even if there is a little of the original chamfer left it might be worth taking them back a bit more.

32 minutes ago, mjt said:

Have you tried chamfering the leading and trailing edges of the linings? Even if there is a little of the original chamfer left it might be worth taking them back a bit more.

No but I'll give anything a go now and sick of dismantling the things lmao. Thanks.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:29 PM, F0CUE said:

I have seen the guide and have always thought about doing it the thing I don't like is the removal of heat shields and figuring out the cables. How long did it take you and was it easy enough?

Not an easy job, but it took me and my mechanic about 4 hours start to finish, had a couple of problems along the way, such as the old back plates coming off, once everything was of off though putting it all back together wasn't that difficult, apart from the new handbrake cables.

33 minutes ago, wilto said:

Not an easy job, but it took me and my mechanic about 4 hours start to finish, had a couple of problems along the way, such as the old back plates coming off, once everything was of off though putting it all back together wasn't that difficult, apart from the new handbrake cables.

Yeh it looks alot of work would be an early morning start to make sure. Thanks I'm considering it but would be alone so probs more hours lol

how did you find getting insurance? most folk I spoke to wouldn't touch me with modified brakes. 

Flux was the exception

how did you find getting insurance? most folk I spoke to wouldn't touch me with modified brakes. 
Flux was the exception
Adrian flux
Sky
Brentcare (who I exclusively use, email them my mods they stick it on there and then no need for a phone call. They only raise premium with a significant increase of bhp)
  • Like 2

Hi.

If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

It ended up the cylinder piston had cracked and sliced into the rubber each press of the brake was giving a nice spray of fluid. Will get a new one today and will need to bleed again grrr.

• Like 1

Glad you got to the bottom of it.
Also just to add publicly as flux have commented. I had an accident with flux it took 3 months before they sorted it. After much hassle. I was so angry at them they weren't able to say it was a wrote off on a car value of £600 and every panel including rear quarter was damaged by someone going down the side of me. After two months I wanted the engine out of the broken car that was taken up space. They told me they wouldn't touch anything if I changed stuff around. Even though they had had two months at this point to sort it. I spent hours on the phone. When it came to me Christmas break. I removed the engine anyhow. I eventually got a pay out after 3 months. I wouldn't use flux again ever. Which is a shame as I was with them a few years with no issues. Obviously not realising when an accident happened it would go like this.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I must admit, I do feel sorry for Dan...having to try and defend Flux on every forum lol.  Just for balance, most insurance companies are crap in my experience... :wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must admit, I do feel sorry for Dan...having to try and defend Flux on every forum lol.  Just for balance, most insurance companies are crap in my experience... :wink: 
Oh yeah, none of this is Dan's fault. I'm not blaming him. As far as I know too bloke. Everyone has a job to do. I work for a soul sucking rip off of a company. But it pays a wage.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 2

well, some kind person drive in to my parked car twice a couple of years back and flux sorted it out no bother. so whilst I sympathise with those who have had bad experiences with claims , it is not something I have shared. 

in fact my only gripe with them is the predictable battle I have each year at renewal. its truly amazing how much better their best offer gets when you moan and yes, ive spent more than an hour on the phone to them in the past before getting it back to a better value, I know they have to make money but still a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club