Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How can I identify a fiesta metal?

ssharple2001

Hi guys, I'm looking at getting a metal in the near future and I think I've found a good one. I'm just a bit confused by the look of the door cards/handles in the ad and it's making me doubt if it's really a metal edition. Are there any distinguishing features I can look out for to confirm?

I've attached a photo of the handle - is this normal? I'm thinking the metal normally has more switches behind the grab handle?

Thanks in advance!

DM4533-ubvjaaab.jpeg

Not sure about any extra switches but distinguishing features of a Metal (over a Zetec S) that I remember were:

134ps engine tune

17" 5 spoke black wheels (I think you could get silver also, as an option)

Twin chrome exhaust

Silver painted grille surround and fog lamp bezel

Piano black centre stack, air vent rings and door pulls

Black leather sports seats with silver stitching

Silver interior highlights

3 spoke leather wheel with silver stitching

Carpet mats with silver piping

Alloy pedals/footrest

Stainless will scuff plates

and no doubt a few other bits that have slipped my mind - but quite a nice package at the time.😀

5 minutes ago, ssharple2001 said:

Thanks Eric, that's really helped! Do you reckon this is kosher then?

http://www.milleniummotorcompany.co.uk/detail/812718/used-ford-fiesta-1-6-metal-3dr-rotherham

Certainly looks like a Metal. Differences from a stock that I can see are - ST150 wheels from the Mk6, the super rare DRLs added which MS Design provided, and the rear diffuser has been painted in gloss black

26 minutes ago, ssharple2001 said:

Do you reckon this is kosher then?

Well, someone's played about with it over the years as you might expect but the main indications are there, except the wheels, wonder why they were swapped?

If you could get a look at the V5 that would be a good way to check, in view of the power output unique to the Metal, though on a V5 it could be in kw - 134ps should be about 98.5kw.

11 hours ago, ssharple2001 said:

I've attached a photo of the handle - is this normal? I'm thinking the metal normally has more switches behind the grab handle?

The extra switches would be for rear electric windows, which you can't have on a 3dr model. :smile: 

10 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Well, someone's played about with it over the years as you might expect but the main indications are there, except the wheels, wonder why they were swapped?

If you could get a look at the V5 that would be a good way to check, in view of the power output unique to the Metal, though on a V5 it could be in kw - 134ps should be about 98.5kw.

The Metal alloys are another common buckler, the ST alloys don't tend to buckle so that's a possibility.  It's definitely a Metal spec though, using this site shows trim and power output. :smile: 

https://www.cardatachecks.co.uk/carcheck/lookup.php

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The Metal alloys are another common buckler,

Good point - the wheels on my Mk 7 Titanium were buckled after 6 months!

• Haha 1

As for The wheels:-

KV12HZA FORD FIESTA

Check another vehicle

Colour Black

Fuel type Petrol

Date registered 31 March 2012

MOT valid until 24 September 2019

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.

If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested 25 September 2018

Pass

View test certificate

Mileage 44,295 miles

MOT test number 7046 6189 4238

Test location

View test location

Expiry date 24 September 2019

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Both rear tyres worn very low on inner edges
  • Front brake discs worn on inner faces
What are advisories?

The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity – dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more

Date tested 10 May 2017

Pass

Mileage 39,262 miles

MOT test number 5093 8929 1347

Test location

View test location

Expiry date 9 May 2018

Date tested 24 March 2016

Pass

Mileage 30,214 miles

MOT test number 5607 2265 0328

Test location

View test location

Expiry date 31 March 2017

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Front Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a) Dangerous   xxxxxx
  • n/s and o/s front tyres have slight damage to side walls.
What are advisories?

Date tested 23 March 2016

Fail

Mileage 30,214 miles

MOT test number 9174 4877 5819

Test location

View test location

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Front Road wheel bead rim badly distorted (4.2.A.1a) Dangerous    xxxxxx
  • Nearside Rear Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a) Dangerous
  • Offside Rear Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Front Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a) Dangerous   xxxxxxx
  • n/s and o/s front tyres have slight damage to side walls.
What are failures and advisories?

Date tested 24 March 2015

Pass

Mileage 18,829 miles

MOT test number 4497 0318 5078

Test location

View test location

Expiry date 31 March 2016

Date tested 23 March 2015

Fail

Mileage 18,829 miles

MOT test number 9569 9258 5084

Test location

View test location

Reason(s) for failure

• Nearside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a) Dangerous
  • Offside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a) Dangerous
What are failures?

Check if FORD FIESTA KV12HZA has outstanding recalls

No outstanding safety recalls found

This information is provided by the vehicle manufacturer. If you think the information is wrong, contact the vehicle manufacturer's dealership. Please do not contact the DVSA, as we are not able to change the recall status.

Was this vehicle recall information useful to you? Tell us your views so we can improve the service.

Would Ford Etis show if it was Metal . I am not sure if it states that or not. but if you log into Ford Etis (free registration) it will show very detailed spec of all aspects of the car which would show the features that this car had when new to see if it has the Metal extras

Thanks to everyone for your help. I went to look at the car and it had just been sold (apparently) - gutted.

There's a few others i'll be looking at so the link to ETIS will be really helpful though.

Hopefully i'll be a happy Fiesta owner soon......

On 7/27/2019 at 4:11 PM, isetta said:

Would Ford Etis show if it was Metal . I am not sure if it states that or not. but if you log into Ford Etis (free registration) it will show very detailed spec of all aspects of the car which would show the features that this car had when new to see if it has the Metal extras

Yes it should show on the Etis site as is shows mine is a Titanium and says that at the top but its not 100% on the items on from new what i have read on here.

As stated when New when you look at Etis as a lot of people change stuff.

1 hour ago, ssharple2001 said:

Thanks to everyone for your help. I went to look at the car and it had just been sold (apparently) - gutted.

Unless you're absolutely sold on the idea of a Metal, the "normal" 1.6 Zetec S is still a very nice car and there do seem to be quite a lot on sale,on Auto Trader for example, in nice unmolested condition with fairly low mileage. Even seen a few with franchised Ford dealers.

I've heard the extra horses in the Metal or S1600 models is noticeable and the low down torque makes it much more fun to drive - is this true? I'm currently running a 210bhp Cooper S so i need as much power as possible from it's replacement (but cant afford an ST yet...).

I've noticed that the Red and Black editions also have 134bhp so i've added them to my watch list too.

I'm thinking of going to view this on Wednesday - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907089861713?aggregatedTrim=Metal&make=FORD&sort=distance&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=hd80na&model=FIESTA&advertising-location=at_cars&seller-type=trade&page=1

I really fancied keyless start but this one looks well kept and unmolested and the MOT history looks ok too. In an ideal world i'd wait until my perfect one comes up but my MINI is on it's last legs and i'm running out of time!

3 hours ago, ssharple2001 said:

I've heard the extra horses in the Metal or S1600 models is noticeable and the low down torque makes it much more fun to drive - is this true? I'm currently running a 210bhp Cooper S so i need as much power as possible from it's replacement (but cant afford an ST yet...).

Ford's claimed figures for the regular Zetec S and Metal (in brackets) were:

Power: 120ps (134ps)

Torque: 152 Nm ((160Nm)

0-62: 9.9 secs (8.7secs)

31-62 in 4th: 12.6 secs (12.4secs)

So the extra bit of power shows up as a slightly lower 0-62 time, the small torque difference has very little effect on in gear acceleration.

If you are driving a Cooper S any of the things you mention (other than an ST) is going to feel a bit weedy I'm afraid, nice cars as they are, though I've always rated the Fiesta better on handling. Hopefully you'll be able to get a test drive and judge for yourself.

The car you highlight looks a tidy example, still got its original wheels. I used to live in that neck of the woods some years ago btw, the dealer had a decent reputation then, but don't know about nowadays.

I have to say i like the old cars better like the Metal and cars like that as if you get a car like this with good milage/service history and looks nice you know the person have looked after it and cared for it as newer cars should look A1.

Go for it mate and keep the older generation going (like mine) and i have had a few piano plack parts on mine taken off a reg of a Metal i found on eBay as not many had piano black trim around 2012 year and i wanted black not the silver.

Thanks for the tips and confirmation that they are a trustworthy seller, my boss also knows them and said the same.

Do you have any recommendations for any common faults i should look out for when i go to view the car this afternoon?

I'm aware of possible rust issues around the arches and petrol filler cap and the possibility of water leaks into the cabin - anything else?

Had a couple of Mk 7's, but not that particular model (I tried to get the Mrs to have one but she thought it was too fast for her and settled for a 1.25!). Bodywork seemed quite prone to small dings which are not always easy to spot because of the complex curves. Door seals can cause leaks as you mention. As mentioned earlier, Mk 7 alloys were prone to buckle so if you manage a test drive and notice wobble through the wheel it could be that. Gearbox wasn't the strongest, and synchro could weaken. There were some problems with the power steering early on in the life of the Mk 7, I think this was one of the first to have electric pas.

Only problems we actually had with ours was the buckled wheels on the Titanium I had, and the Mrs's picking up various little dings as I say (and no, it wasn't her who caused them!).

We have a winner!! I put the deposit down on the white metal and I'm picking it up on Friday after its been serviced and MOT'd.

The test drive was good. The car pulled well and felt a lot more nimble than my mini does.

From what I could see the carpets were dry and the bodywork seemed perfect (but it had just rained so I'll probably find a million dinks when it's dry).

One of the front fog lights was a bit loose but I'm sure it's a quick fix to sort it out.

Can't wait to pick it up and have a proper drive this weekend, I just hope the weather perks up.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm sure I'll soon be quizzing you on what to upgrade first!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...