Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2.5 head unit questions

Adam_v64

I have a 2010 Focus (mk2.5), it has the head unit with navigation option and SD card slot, also has bluetooth and usb with aux port next to the handbrake. It has a fault where I get intermittent pops and glitches in both radio and bluetooth. Strangely the USB and aux inputs are glitch free. I updated the bluetooth firmware etc, no difference. Sounds like a DSP fault inside the radio itself to me...

I don’t use the sat nav, I just want something that works well for Bluetooth and radio. If I replace this with the Black Sony head unit (seen on other mark 2.5s), will my hands free calling and Bluetooth music through the phone work and is it a straight swap?

Will the USB port and aux socket also still work? (I don’t mind this so much if it doesn’t). The black Sony unit seems more common, and is cheaper to buy 2nd hand for some reason. Otherwise I’d just get another the same for less hassle

thanks in advance

….. anything's possible depends exactly what's there and that you buy the right bits

mondeo vs focus looks the same but isn't

early ones don't have the firmware to do the USB allegedly

there are single disc or 6 disc Sony ones

there are DAB or Not DAB Sony ones (but you'd need to sort the extras you need for the antenna) 

you might need to turn stuff on off using diagnostics kit... freely out there you only need a cable

you might have different wiring I don't know... but not that different I expect

there's

Sounds like there’s potential then, thanks for that 

I don’t need USB or CD, just FM radio, bluetooth for music and hands free calling. Is it likely to be simple enough to achieve that? I might take a chance and buy one. I hope the connectors would be the same as they’re both OEM units but how knows!

is the bluetooth module in the car separate to the head unit do you know?

I think there are three modules - all separate

early phone only

later music and phone

music phone voice usb,

its to the left of the glove box, one bolt holds it on, with the label on the other side - from left passenger footwell with a torch... look up on the inside having unclipped the fuse box at the carpet inside of the wheel arch

8M5T-19C112-AS   (AM to AT all did USB, later ones AR AS AT had a normal USB cable)

of course a non sat nav head unit is cheaper....   I don't think these days DAB sony one is that pricey and it will work just the same if its from a focus, but will leave the option to improve one day when you fancy fighting the antenna (although any might need - depending upon what's there - the din (old) aerial to modern fakra adaptor)

when I swapped out the basic radio with is awful radio reception... the Sony DAB was much much worse on FM than the basic original. rather than a later better more sensitive radio tuner... its like one 1/3 as good as the original... sound quality was higher and now I fixed the antenna its Ok

or you could try aftermarket head units, lots of toys - average quality - a post about antenna fun

Thanks very much for your detailed response! 

I can understand FM can be weaker on a DAB, legacy stuff like FM is often an afterthought with designs. 

I will check my wiring shortly and see what I have 

would you know if the S-MAX version is the same? I see one for sale near me that’s been pulled from an S-MAX, but claims to be compatible with the focus 

S-max radio should be fine.
The version that causes problems is any radio from a Mondeo.
For some reason they are set up strangely and don't cross over to other models very well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

S-max / Galaxy radio's are identical to the Mondeo MK4 radio's. These are not suitible for a Focus MK2 / MK2.5.

These radio's are not suitible because of CANbus communication differences between the Focus, C-max, Kuga, Transit (connect) and the Mondeo, S-max / Galaxy.

Suitible Focus, C-max and Kuga radio's can be identified by the "C307" and/or "C214" identification numbers.that are printed on a sticker at the side of the radio.

• Like 1

I passed on this unit because it’s a 2007 and I think might be too old for my wiring and bluetooth module 

I couldn’t for the life of me find the labelled bluetooth module, I removed various panels in an attempt to find it and gave up. I did see lots of tags on wiring starting “9M5T” however and the stereo itself, which I now know is the blaupunkt “travel pilot” has the part number 9M5T - 18k931 - DA

if anyone knows a drop in replacement that would work for radio and give me bluetooth streaming and calls that would be useful. I’d even take a 6000 like my old car had if it would match !! Not fussed on DAB, especially if FM is worse and I need to muck about with antennas

The blaupunkt has a really annoying fault, which I think I would be unlikely to fix but I am handy with electronics. I can’t find any examples of similar faults online either. I assume it must be the head unit??  FM and streamed Bluetooth have an intermittent but fairly regular glitch where there’s a slight pop, or digital sounding dropout for a tiny fraction of a second, it can sound like distortion too. It’s very slight, and sometimes you need to listen carefully for it on speech radio, but annoying enough to make me want to throw it out the window! 😄. Sometimes it will run a few mins without doing it, others it will happen every few seconds. I’ve updated the BVC and head unit software but didn’t change anything 

don’t fancy spending £140 plus on another one in case that too has problems, and would rather not go aftermarket and lose the nice hands free kit. But it may come to that

if I bought one on eBay, I assume I could get a code for it fairly easily?

6 hours ago, JW1982 said:

S-max / Galaxy radio's are identical to the Mondeo MK4 radio's. These are not suitible for a Focus MK2 / MK2.5.

These radio's are not suitible because of CANbus communication differences between the Focus, C-max, Kuga, Transit (connect) and the Mondeo, S-max / Galaxy.

Suitible Focus, C-max and Kuga radio's can be identified by the "C307" and/or "C214" identification numbers.that are printed on a sticker at the side of the radio.

You should write the focus/ford book m8 you have a mountain of knowledge. Start a website called foogle with all your answers to questions 😀

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club