Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 cam upgrade

Paul Smifff

Hi

I have a 2007 fiesta 98 bhp 1.6 and wondered if any other cams fitted from say the st range for example but any? If so what gains do they give?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Paul Smifff said:

Hi

I have a 2007 fiesta 98 bhp 1.6 and wondered if any other cams fitted from say the st range for example but any? If so what gains do they give?

Thanks

Piper Cams increase of 8 - 10bhp might feel more responsive though there along way off Vtec

My old 2000 registered naturally aspirated 1.6 Toyota Levin BZR twin cam had Toyota's version of twin cam was 176bhp standard; heres a video of me cruising on motorway then dropping from 6th Gear to 3rd and going back up 

Probably pick up an old vtec for the cost of changing cams in your fiesta

Lol but I don't want an old vtec lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Paul Smifff said:

Lol but I don't want an old vtec lol

☺️Ain't driven anything like it since then 

So anyway lol.

Do other ford cams fit straight in to my 1.6 with performance gains?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lenny said:

My old 2000 registered naturally aspirated 1.6 Toyota Levin BZR twin cam had Toyota's version of twin cam was 176bhp standard; heres a video of me cruising on motorway then dropping from 6th Gear to 3rd and going back up 

Nice!😀 

• Like 1

I'm starting to think no is the answer lol

• Sad 1

It's been a long time since I last messed with cams😀! Generally, unless things have changed in the last century, a cam change will not be of great benefit in isolation without improvements to breathing - induction, head, exhaust etc. What you gain at the top end can be lost lower down the rev range, so it's not always a win-win. Which is why systems to vary cam timing, lift and duration - vtec, vvti, etc - came in, as demonstrated by @Lenny's wonderful soundtrack earlier in the thread!😀

• Haha 1

VTec is great for about 10 seconds...and then damn annoying for the rest of the drive having to bounce off the limiter to get anywhere. :laugh: 

As mentioned above, Piper do cams for the 1.6 Mk6...but they cost £500 and gain you very little.  It'd be cheaper to fab a turbo onto it tbh. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-Mk5-Mk6-1-6-Zetec-S-Piper-Cams-Ultimate-Road-Camshafts-FOC16BP285/303123343982?epid=1029769196&hash=item46938f2a6e:m:mWmLGy76hg23mLEQ52yaeNA

The ST is 2.0 and a totally different engine so the cams aren't interchangeable. 

Don't take this the wrong way but you've bought the wrong car if you wanted something tuneable. :smile: 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

VTec is great for about 10 seconds...and then damn annoying for the rest of the drive having to bounce off the limiter to get anywhere. :laugh: 

All a matter of taste - I had a V-tec Civic (not a Type R unfortunately)  some years back and loved it! I guess you wouldn't have got on well with a 15,000 rpm plus bike, then?😀

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

All a matter of taste - I had a V-tec Civic (not a Type R unfortunately)  some years back and loved it! I guess you wouldn't have got on well with a 15,000 rpm plus bike, then?😀

True, I just prefer wafting along with a load of lazy torque!  Constant revs and gear changes are all a bit too much effort!

I have no interest in bikes at all lol...  Never have had, just don't get it myself!  I'd much prefer a big heavy luxo barge to wallow around in than a fast bike.

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

True, I just prefer wafting along with a load of lazy torque!  Constant revs and gear changes are all a bit too much effort!

I have no interest in bikes at all lol...  Never have had, just don't get it myself!  I'd much prefer a big heavy luxo barge to wallow around in than a fast bike.

I liked the Levin for the winding country roads sweeping bends and hair pin turns, hot day windows down stereo off and engine litt🎺 😂

Wrecked my head on the motorway though; constant resonating hum like flying a Cessna 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, I know what you mean. I tend to like a bit of everything which is probably why I can't seem to find a car that satisfies me these days. I suppose a good time for me was when I had a torquey turbodiesel for business and a revvy bike for pleasure. Can't justify either these days though - don't do enough mileage to make a diesel worthwhile/keep the dpf clear and the Mrs would chop off unmentionable parts of my anatomy if I brought another bike home!😞

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I know what you mean. I tend to like a bit of everything which is probably why I can't seem to find a car that satisfies me these days. 

Yeah I do agree there, I have had some 'fun' weekend cars alongside a comfortable, cheap diesel daily to give the best of both but costs and health negate that now.  

I've spent nearly a year looking for something more interesting than the Golf with the same price and running costs...but there isn't anything...  Early 2010s cars are all extremely dull unless you can afford the 'hot' models. :sad:  I thought it was just my low budget but if you're struggling to find a suitable new car then maybe not!

42 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I thought it was just my low budget but if you're struggling to find a suitable new car then maybe not!

So, we're way off topic (again!), but yeah, everyone I know with the slightest interest in cars seems to be the same. I was wandering round the nearest "motor village" a while back, after closing time, seeing if I could find anything to take my fancy. Another guy about my age seemed to be doing the same. Eventually he strolled over. "It's a bugger!" he said. "Indeed it is" I replied "but for any reason in particular?" He said: " Well, I've worked hard all my life and got to a point where just for once I could afford anything within reason, but now I can't find anything I'd like to buy. " 

Just about sums it up, really!😀

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, TomsFocus said:

As mentioned above, Piper do cams for the 1.6 Mk6...but they cost £500 and gain you very little.  It'd be cheaper to fab a turbo onto it tbh. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-Mk5-Mk6-1-6-Zetec-S-Piper-Cams-Ultimate-Road-Camshafts-FOC16BP285/303123343982?epid=1029769196&hash=item46938f2a6e:m:mWmLGy76hg23mLEQ52yaeNA

The ST is 2.0 and a totally different engine so the cams aren't interchangeable. 

Don't take this the wrong way but you've bought the wrong car if you wanted something tuneable. :smile: 

I just fancied doing something different and felt the 2litre st didn't have the right look, heavy at the front effecting the handling and just a bit disappointing.  I like the 1.6 litres, they seem a good compromise.  Most engines have some interchange able parts and thought it might.

Guess I'll keep an eye on cams, port the head and inlet and put a 421 manifold on and see where it ends up.

I previously had a 140bhp 1.3 N/A Micra that was great fun.  So a 1.6 should be an ok base.

No major tuning just the old school basic stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Smifff said:

I just fancied doing something different and felt the 2litre st didn't have the right look, heavy at the front effecting the handling and just a bit disappointing.  I like the 1.6 litres, they seem a good compromise.  Most engines have some interchange able parts and thought it might.

Guess I'll keep an eye on cams, port the head and inlet and put a 421 manifold on and see where it ends up.

I previously had a 140bhp 1.3 N/A Micra that was great fun.  So a 1.6 should be an ok base.

No major tuning just the old school basic stuff.

They really dont make them like theh used to mate, a Toyota Vitz is a modern fun car as it's small light and turbo but with emission limits getting lower all the time; my levin failed MOT on emissions as it had velocity stacked induction, 

Theres some room for improvement on the Diesel models but there changing that now too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club