Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sharon

Mum39

Hi, my Drivers side indicator comes on by itself a lot whilst driving and also when I’m parked and engine is off the parking light on that side also comes on and when I go to turn it off the right indicator is up and on. It’s been doing it for ages and has been to the garage who couldn’t find a fault. My husband took the steering column cover (? Sorry- not a car girl! 😆) off and checked wires etc and he also emptied the drivers side small pull down compartment and found receipts etc from before I had the car stuck up inside - since then the indicator problem stopped for a few months but now it’s started again. Any ideas what it could be?? 🙂

• Like 1

Years ago, i knew a girl who thought the choke knob was to be pulled out to hang her handbag on. Just saying.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum39 said:

Hi, my Drivers side indicator comes on by itself a lot whilst driving and also when I’m parked and engine is off the parking light on that side also comes on and when I go to turn it off the right indicator is up and on. It’s been doing it for ages and has been to the garage who couldn’t find a fault. My husband took the steering column cover (? Sorry- not a car girl! 😆) off and checked wires etc and he also emptied the drivers side small pull down compartment and found receipts etc from before I had the car stuck up inside - since then the indicator problem stopped for a few months but now it’s started again. Any ideas what it could be?? 🙂

Hi,

You haven't said which ford model it is but I'm on here since July 2010;

Theres a common problem with the engine bay fuse box lid leaking allowing water to get in;

Which then bridges electrical connections on various relays; 

Causing such activity as; 

The wipers operating while vehicle locked 

Indicators operating 

Lights operating 

Horn operating 

And parking lights 

Because all of these relays are inside that little box fitted at the rear of the front left passenger side headlight.

Hope this helps and again I don't know which ford Model you have but the symptoms sound as though that is the issue, 

Fitting a replacement lid or smearing vaseline or silicone around the lid wont get rid of the existing moisture inside but will stop any further getting in, 

I suggest lightly drying with a hair dryer to ensure the problem is cured before sealing it. 

Thanks for reading 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum39 said:

Drivers side indicator comes on by itself a lot whilst driving and also when I’m parked and engine is off the parking light on that side also comes on and when I go to turn it off the right indicator is up and on. It’s been doing it for ages

All the lights are controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module). This is a major electronic control module, and is built into the passenger fuse box in the Mondeo / S-Max, and also the Focus / C-max. It is down in the passenger footwell, and can be affected by water, from leaks around the windscreen, roof leaks, Air con system problems, or just condensation.

So Lenny's advice (above) applies equally to this fuse box as to the the engine bay one.

• Like 1

Thank you. It’s an S Max. I will give that a try. 

• 1 year later...

Did the hairdryer trick work? I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club