Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCi upgrade suggestions?

DieselMonkey

Yeah turbo's not the only thing either, I don't think. Garage called and even they were upset cause we're good mates. Blades are ******. Not economically viable to fix, I don't think. Very, very upset about my baby 😞

Turns out, ironically, that the injector seals were the cure to the original problem too. For now, I think I'm going to buy a banger for a grand or so, faster the better. Any suggestions?

Yeah turbo's not the only thing either, I don't think. Garage called and even they were upset cause we're good mates. Blades are ******. Not economically viable to fix, I don't think. Very, very upset about my baby [emoji20]
Turns out, ironically, that the injector seals were the cure to the original problem too. For now, I think I'm going to buy a banger for a grand or so, faster the better. Any suggestions?
I've got a fiesta Mk6 zetec s. 1.6 tdci. Same.engine but they don't have the ***** gt1544v on they have a td025 lot stronger turbo. Mines remapped to 120 hp. Well worth it. Awesome fun

3 hours ago, bashbarnard said:

Yeah, it's not a difficult job though is it. Set yourself a day aside and go nuts. Buy a few cans of brake clean and some blue roll. You're golden. emoji106.png

When you can do it yourself yeah, the OP spent a grand on a cambelt and ABS sensor...at those labour rates it's definitely not worth having the turbo done lol.  

Ah yeah. That's an issue. Didn't relaise. As usual I've been lazy and not read through.

OK, I couldn't let her go. Ordered a direct GT1544V replacement, first thing I'm gonna do is remap it to whatever, get the EGR blanked and terra clean the **** out of the DPF. Decided if it'd be a grand either way, I'd rather keep the old girl than buy something rubbish. Not ready to put an uprated turbo on her yet, engine needs to be at least as strong as it was coming off the production line before I put stupid stress on parts (he says after saying he'll remap the thing)

It's been a rollercoaster today, but I've really realised how much I'm prepared to sink into the car, even if that's stupid or not. Thank you for the replies today, they aided my decision to keep the underboosty beast

• Like 1

So apparently blanking the EGR can cost me a bit down the line because of x regulation y subsection z. Is it worth the risk to get it professionally bypassed and help protect my internals/DPF from the dreaded carbon buildup which seems to be the literal bane of this diesel's existence at every turn? 

Hopefully remapping can get me some extra performance and efficiency out of the engine, and with a spanking new turbo she should be right as rain. Garage are charging £850 for turbo fitting, is this reasonable? I must add that although I love cars and try to learn as much as I can, I'm young and pretty useless at the moment. As for terracleaning, God knows if it'll actually do anything, but the piece of mind might provide at least some placebo. 

As a pointless side note, I nearly rolled the Kuga today and now I'm a little scared to take corners in 2nd. Silly me entered the apex right on boost and I must've thought I was driving the Focus because no, it absolutely cannot hold the road for the Earth.

£850 for a turbo fitting... :laugh:  What's the hourly rate of this garage out of interest?  

As mentioned above, it's a lot more than just bolting a new turbo on these, the turbos usually fail due to carbon deposits (which can be made worse by injector leaks!).  The new turbo will just blow again if the system isn't cleaned properly.  They should be dropping the sump, cleaning (or replacing) the oil pump and turbo feed pipe and then flushing the oil at least twice.  A lot of labour...but I still can't see how it's £850.

Blanking the EGR on these will cause problems unless you have it mapped out at the same time.  This can be done at the same as the power map for little to no extra cost.  You won't get any extra economy from a power map though...anyone that says you do is just trying to justify the £150 they've spent on a remap... :wink:  Personally I wouldn't blank the EGR if you're leaving the DPF in place though, it's either both or neither.  The EGR is used to control oxygen flow once regen is in process, you risk the DPF catching fire without the EGR there to lower temps if it gets too hot.  People do risk it and get away with it though so it's up to you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You risk the DPF catching fire

I must say I had a giggle at this, maybe it's best to leave that alone then! 

The garage said that if I called them today, they could order a turbo by the next morning and have it done. Would it be cheaper if I bought the turbo myself, and then asked them to fit it? As entertaining and interesting as it would be, I'm not sure I want to risk another failure due to my own incompetence. How much should it cost? This forum is brilliant, btw, without it I'd probably not even ask if this is daylight robbery. 

Can't find a receipt, but off the top of my head it's ~£65/h. They've always been good and quick and I think the little price jump is because I live in a town of quite affluent retirees with Mercedes S-Classes and Continental GTs. Unfortunately, I am no such affluent retiree.

As for mapping, it doesn't need any extra economy, as long as it isn't noticeably worse. I like the theory that you can be in a higher gear and use less throttle, and so the engine is never being pushed, however I know full well it'll only make me drive faster. In all fairness though, I've never redlined her, seems pointless with all the torque being so low down. Max power is apparently at 4000rpm but by then it's screaming and not doing much at all really. 

I'll have a look for the receipt, I know that changing injector seals, looking at the turbo, and looking for that clunking which they haven't fixed was £209

Ah, I misread earlier, thought you'd bought the turbo and the £850 was for labour alone.  If that includes supplying the turbo it's not quite so bad.  Still seems an awful lot to me though.  Assuming the turbo is around £350, I'd be looking at £100 for oil and other parts, then around 4 hours labour.

It might be cheaper if you bought it yourself but garages often won't fit parts they haven't supplied.  If they do and there's a problem you may find warranty issues as well so it's probably not worth it.  

Lol about affluent retirees...I have some relatives in your area that do indeed own some high end cars lol.  Labour costs were about £50 at independents here last I checked...but I do all my own work so wouldn't know if it's more now.

Diesels are all about torque rather than max power as you say, no need to redline them.  I've mapped various diesels over the years and never noticed a change in economy either better or worse. :smile:

Well, £350 + £100 + (4x£65) is still only £710 so I think you're still right about it being a little steep. 

I've found some online for silly money, like £150 but I'm not sure I trust them because some are £600 and now I'm confused. I can ask them if they supply parts I've bought, and then any money leftover can go into a remap, they'll probably still say no of course.

Even the brand new Kuga feels like a budget car here. Rose red and all! I wish I had the ability to do all this myself and I'll make it my personal mission to be able to do so soon.

I never really shift over 3500rpm, even when doing questionable overtakes. Third gear and I are best buds. So, you're saying the "10% more mpg" is BS? Makes sense, I still don't really understand what the catch on remapping is, since the engines and clutches are good for more than stock - isn't it a no-brainer? Makes me want a Focus ST TDCi because they're so much torquier than basically any other 2.0l

Thank you for this, I'm learning lots!

• Like 1

Don't trust the online £150 turbos. I bought one with eBay money back guarantee to try and see what it was like. Utter crap, machine marks everywhere, vnt out of calibration and leaked oil the moment I put it on. Claimed my money back through the garentee. It was more an experiment than actually thinking it would be much good. It's currently tucked away in its box for further Investigation down the line.

I did wonder why there was such a price difference. I'm sure Wish.com will be doing them soon for a fiver! Also, I stumbled upon your forum, am I correct in saying you DV6 swapped a Mk6 ST?

I did wonder why there was such a price difference. I'm sure Wish.com will be doing them soon for a fiver! Also, I stumbled upon your forum, am I correct in saying you DV6 swapped a Mk6 ST?
No. I just bought a dv6 fiesta. Though I did consider doing a swap it's relatively straight forward to do. Then I didn't as £30 tax vs the ST tax was ridiculous so just swapped for a zetec S that's essentially the same minus a few bits that I am in the process o procuring and fitting

Ah I see, my bad. Raises an interesting question, I suppose, how differently do the Zetec S and ST handle? I was tempted by a Focus Zetec S when I bought this one, but it was higher mileage and an ugly blue, mine's only a Zetec but it has the sat-nav, lowered suspension and the beautiful y-spoke 17"s

Ah I see, my bad. Raises an interesting question, I suppose, how differently do the Zetec S and ST handle? I was tempted by a Focus Zetec S when I bought this one, but it was higher mileage and an ugly blue, mine's only a Zetec but it has the sat-nav, lowered suspension and the beautiful y-spoke 17"s
Both of mine have been lowerd on decent springs and handle the same. The steering rack on the ST less lock to lock making it more sensitive but due to box and engine less turning circle. Prefer the zetec s to be honest. Shame about the brakes being tiny.

Fair enough, yeah the brakes on the Focus are absolutely useless, rear drums and little front discs. Could use maybe another 10mm lowering but she still holds the road like a dream. 

My dad had a 2006 Focus ST and that handled no better than mine, exited the corners hell of a lot faster though lol. That 2.5L sounded incredible, mine sounds like an angry tractor. 

What handling upgrades are actually worth it?

23 hours ago, DieselMonkey said:

What handling upgrades are actually worth it?

Number 1 handling upgrade is usually a good set of tyres. The difference that good tyres make you would not believe. Its so underestimated. 

Secondly, I would say probably suspension upgrades. A good set of coilovers perhaps. 

After that I would maybe say weight reductions and balancing changes. Usually the first two are plenty though. Your Kuga for example, has a better engine than your Focus (I think its maybe the same one that's in my Focus), but its big, heavy, and badly balanced. 

It's got GTRadials on it at the mo, looking for a good set next change (Conti or Pirelli). She handles brilliantly anyway, but coilovers are a thought for the future. Because she's only got the 110hp currently, she can handle her drink, after a remap and maybe a BMW turbo she'll need them.

Turbo's being done Tuesday, garage came back with a brilliant £700 quote, much to my surprise. 

Honestly guys, I'm thinking of getting rid of the Kuga and with the ~£15000 I'd get, I could get a 2015 Focus ST petrol or diesel with limited extra funding. That... or a 425d for myself.

Edit: I've found a 435d which I really quite like, stage 1 400hp/750nm. 63 plate and going for 16k, think I'm gonna make the plunge.

Car's in for the turbo, hoping to god they put the right one on, and that they do the system by reg not memory. Any specific 110-related things the garage need to know or am I worrying too much?

As for the BMW purchase, I'm looking at a mid-mileage 435d M-Sport Plus on the weekend, hoping it can simultaneously out perform the Kuga and get better mpg. To be fair, the only real reason besides my own gluttony is because even an M4/C63 couldn't escape my diesel powah at stage 1.

Upon visiting my mum a couple of days ago, I've told her I'm buying a Dacia Duster, so I can double-scare her when I take her for a spin!

3 hours ago, DieselMonkey said:

Car's in for the turbo, hoping to god they put the right one on, and that they do the system by reg not memory. Any specific 110-related things the garage need to know or am I worrying too much?

As for the BMW purchase, I'm looking at a mid-mileage 435d M-Sport Plus on the weekend, hoping it can simultaneously out perform the Kuga and get better mpg. To be fair, the only real reason besides my own gluttony is because even an M4/C63 couldn't escape my diesel powah at stage 1.

Upon visiting my mum a couple of days ago, I've told her I'm buying a Dacia Duster, so I can double-scare her when I take her for a spin!

The only specific 110 thing is the VNT setup (90 just uses conventional wastegate), though the setup should already be correct if it's a decent turbo supplier...

I don't know much about BMWs...  Tried to buy one last year as it was the same price as the Golf, the 320D EfficientDynamics is stupidly cheap to run as well as having 180bhp but...my insurance said it'd cost double my current premium with it being RWD so I had to forget it. :sad:   I was also told they aren't particularly comfortable though and I need a smooth ride.  

I don't think you'll want @bashbarnards opinion on BMWs... :laugh: 

I just really hope they haven't gone and bolted a TD025 on or find out that my turbo was actually already a hybrid and I'm only now going to experience 110hp and not 140 or something stupid like that lol. My only worry with that is that if it's had a hybrid on it and now has a stock without it being mapped into the system, there'll be boosty problems awry.

All the 435d's are xDrive, but insurance will be a problem considering the performance and low-price of the car. One I'm looking at is 18k now, down from 52k in 2014. Talk about depreciation 😕

I figured that after driving my dad's single turbo and enjoying it, twin turbos are the only option! Very reliable straight-6, too. Aye, I think I'll keep myself in a lull until Bashbarnard replies!

Got the car back just now, £678, so honestly I'm happy. Showed me the old unit and the blades were indeed ****ed. Turbo unit they bought was £425 so I'm hoping it's a goodun!

15657036121334208764421015672368.jpg

So that's a CV joint, timing belt, fuel filter, oil filter (twice!), turbo and injector seals. I'd bet all my savings she'll still limp home mode up a hill 

The only specific 110 thing is the VNT setup (90 just uses conventional wastegate), though the setup should already be correct if it's a decent turbo supplier...
I don't know much about BMWs...  Tried to buy one last year as it was the same price as the Golf, the 320D EfficientDynamics is stupidly cheap to run as well as having 180bhp but...my insurance said it'd cost double my current premium with it being RWD so I had to forget it. :sad:   I was also told they aren't particularly comfortable though and I need a smooth ride.  
I don't think you'll want [mention=103164]bashbarnard[/mention]s opinion on BMWs... [emoji23] 
My opinion on BMWs it's not a good one [emoji23] it seems to be a thing now that people just don't bring me them to work on. I am happy with this.

Good to see the car back and running. Hopefully all reliable now. [emoji16]
  • Like 1

With regards to upgrading the 1.6 TDCi....I've been thinking about different ways to increase performance on both my 1.5 TDCi Focus and my 3.2 TDCi Ranger...but I've come to the conclusion I should probably just save my money and just buy a Focus ST or a Focus RS on top of those two....

Before the Kuga I was tempted by the Mk3 RS, but I decided against it because 35k on a Focus is excessive imho.

Car should be all reliable now, only things worth checking if she isn't perfect are the air filter and maybe all the fuel lines but she should be OK, test drive showed no faults and I pushed her hard. Gonna start idling for a minute or two after journeys to keep this turbo nice and cool. 

I like the 3.2 Ranger, more so than the new Raptor might I add. I'll remap the Focus and the "diesel M4" together and see how it goes. Ideally I'd be getting 140hp+ from the Focus which would make it an excellent and fun daily, might chip in on other bits and bobs to get it to the 150 mark. As for the Bimmer, I've seen reliable stage 1 tunes at 410hp and 780nm and I'm suddenly excited. 

Backstory goes that before I could drive I was a competitive Forza racer (racing rig not controller) and some of the cash going into the Focus came from me kicking **** on there so hopefully I can get my hands on an actual powerhouse like the BMW

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club