Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCi upgrade suggestions?

DieselMonkey

I looked into chipping my Ranger but decided against it when I read about what is actually being done. 

I would consider a proper remap on the Focus, but my wife also drives that one and its supposed to be our "sensible" car. So I would be better of remapping or further modifying one of my motorbikes. Or getting another bike. 

Funny the difference between useful performance upgrades on cars and on bikes - I spent hours and hundred of pounds doing various things to my bikes, one of the main things is shedding weight. One of the best performance upgrades you can do, especially on a lightweight V-twin for example. I've saved a kilo here and there, and then spent all this winter eating junk and put on a stone round my waist. Best performance upgrade on a bike then.....go for a run and stop eating junk!

Weight not such a big issue in modifying cars. I would like to get a petrol car to modify just because that's what I know best from all the years working on bikes, and all the hours on YouTube watching mighty car mods. Would love an ST (in orange of course to match my Ranger) just to see what is possible after a remap, maybe an upgraded turbo, air intakes etc. Just for fun. Wouldn't be spending £30k on one, although a friend of mind just bought an RS and I am extremely jealous. Was thinking more like £5k for a 10 year old ST that needs a bit of work...

• Like 1

ST and RS models hold their value a surprising amount, I was in the market for an older ST when my dad had one. As for your Focus, the 1.5tdci is a derivation of my old 1.6? If so, remapping shouldn't make it insensible, just quirkier. Depends on whether you have the 95 or the 120, I guess. 

With regards to the Ranger, what do you mean when you say you were put off? It doesn't seem to be a super tunable engine, but you could make it a torque beast with a big enough turbo. 

I'm not completely sold on the 435d, I'm looking at TTS/RS's too. Both can be taken to 400hp with minimal effort, through either a stage 1 for the diesel or a revo kit for the 2.0L. My mate's 2016 Mountune RS was the first 370+hp I ever drove and it filled me with a truckload of adrenaline. Problem with the mk2.5 is that even though the engine sounds like a baby V10, there's only so much you can do to a FWD car before you get an undrivable mess. 450hp seems to be a good number for the mk2.5 ST/RS

I've not yet dabbled into bikes, but the idea of a K1600GTL thrills me. No one goes in my car because other people reduce my 0-60 lol so I might get rid of the back seats, it's hidden from view by the 90% glass anyway so I won't appear a tryhard chav racer 😅

• Like 1

My Focus is the 120. I've had two of the 1.6 versions in the past, both the 115, and the difference in power on the 120 is incredible. Feels way more than 5bhp difference. 

Regarding chipping the truck. I wanted to do it to add a bit of HP and also get better mpg, but everything I read about the main systems that were home-installable just said that it bypasses airflow and fuel sensors and almost pretends to be a remap. So it makes the engine think its getting more power, and better mpg but really its just indiscriminately putting more fuel in without letting the sensors know, hence the simulated better mpg. 

With bikes, it has always allowed me to not be too bothered about fast cars. I bought a bike a few years ago for less than £5,000 and its supercar fast. You need to spend £100k to get a bike-fast car, but you can get a fast-car-fast bike for less than £10,000. If that makes sense....

19 hours ago, DieselMonkey said:

Got the car back just now, £678, so honestly I'm happy. Showed me the old unit and the blades were indeed ****ed. Turbo unit they bought was £425 so I'm hoping it's a goodun!

15657036121334208764421015672368.jpg

So that's a CV joint, timing belt, fuel filter, oil filter (twice!), turbo and injector seals. I'd bet all my savings she'll still limp home mode up a hill 

Only 2 hours labour...  Looks like they didn't carry out the oil system clean then. 😮  I hope for your sake something other than oil restriction broke your turbo... :unsure: 

Hmmm, yes. I did wonder why the pump/feed pipes weren't changed. Any way I can check if they're OK? Car is driving like an absolute beauty, making little spooling noises I've never heard before. She's pulling so consistently up hills because of that now-perfect torque curve. 

Do you think they might've checked the oil and made the decision that it was OK or are we suspecting corner cutting? I can always put her back in for a check if need be

Just ask. No harm.in that. No aftermarket turbo manufacturers warranty these without sump off, strainer clean and or replace and new oil line. They're properly on it now. No receipts for work no exchange unit under warranty. The garage will have put there warranty on it but that's diffrent.

• Like 1

Will ask them tomorrow, took her for a drive and she's been wonderful. Entered limphome mode once really uncharacteristically, just normal acceleration in fifth on a straight. Hoping it's an anomaly because I'm not sure how much more I'm prepared to Shell out on her given the new car.

• 3 weeks later...

Right I didn't buy a BMW, I'm too indecisive and am going to wait until Christmas. My budget is better off at 430D xDrive anyway, so I'm a bit bummed out.

As for the Focus, how much do you think it would be for:

Stage 2 turbo + fitting

A good clutch + fitting

Maybe upgraded injectors?

I'm not looking to do it now but I want her to see the 180bhp mark, after I do the brakes. If I was to do that, would I need a different/racing DPF as I can't lawfully remove it? What about exhausts? I don't want her to sound dreadful and droney 

Right, been talking to HDI-Tuning and am negotiating a deal for their 185hp GTD12 kit. Gonna keep the DPF on her, so power might be more like 170, but that'll be enough until I find a way around that little problem (might have to write a cheaty computer program a la Bluemotion). 

She should reliably be capable of this and more cause of the ceramic paddle clutch. I look forward to some 7 sec to 60 times.

Good luck getting a VW style cheat for the smoke test lol...it's only NOx they cheated with a 'smart' EGR map.  I wouldn't risk DPF delete nowadays myself but it's up to you.

What sort of price are you looking at for all that out of interest?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I apologise for my inactivity, been very busy with work recently and the Focus Chronicles have had to take a backseat. I'm looking at around 2/3k on the Focus because as I previously was hypothesizing, I've a 435i on the way (I know, my willpower is pathetic).

Need a ceramic paddle clutch, all the various GTD1244VZ equipment and that's about it. There isn't a sports cat exhaust I can fit without actually fabricating things and I'm quite content with the 170ish horsepower she'll be putting out soon. Am hoping it doesn't make insurance unethical or the road black with soot. Anyone have any experience with this swap?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club