Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost oil cap and spilled oil

DBStar

Hello all

First post here and not great circumstances...  We bought a 65 plate Focus 1.5 TDCI a couple of weeks ago and we have driven it about 140 miles. Today there is oil leaking just in front of the front right wheel in two close spots after it was resting 24 hours (about 10 x 10 cm on the ground).  I opened the bonnet and the oil filler cap is nowhere to be seen.  Yesterday it had a first motorway drive (only 20 miles)  and was the first time it was driven above 40 miles per hour since we had it, so I am presuming we lost it then, hence why we are only seeing an oil leak now.  There is oil splashed about under  but not a huge amount, mostly on the plastic cover.  However, quite a lot has been absorbed by the bonnet sound proofing insulation and this seems to have channeled to where I am seeing the oil leak.

The oil level itself is fine and there was no smoke whatsoever.  I will take the car for an oil change as soon as safe to drive.

So, obviously we need a new oil cap which I will sort asap before driving the car (I can't find the one I need online after ages looking, so I will ring a dealership tomorrow).  Other than that, I am looking for any other advice what to do next.

1.  Common sense tells me the insulation is now a fire risk.  Is this something I can take out of the car, absorb as much oil as possible and then wash  the rest out, dry and put back or should it just be replaced?

2. Anything I should look out for in particular with regards to cleaning the rest of the car and what should I use to do so?

Cheers

eBay has plenty of oil filler caps. dealer price is £11. To get rid of the splashed oil thats around get a can of brake cleaner. It works wonders. Most of the oil i would imagine will have dripped onto the bottom engine cover. That will be removed when ford do the oil and filter change for you.

see by your post your in Tyne & Wear don't no what part but there is a big ford breakers in dunston

http://www.fordpartsuk.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR1n9_eK6imFIWp_6K912tRggD2cl-TXY6Se-ZBpEc9DkOvhsLLA8FLtcck

and facebook to

https://www.facebook.com/fordpartsdunston/

5 hours ago, andypsp said:

To get rid of the splashed oil thats around get a can of brake cleaner. It works wonders. Most of the oil i would imagine will have dripped onto the bottom engine cover. That will be removed when ford do the oil and filter change for you.

Is it just a case of spraying on the break cleaner and it will wash down? Any good brands or are they all fairly similar?

5 hours ago, lasthope said:

see by your post your in Tyne & Wear don't no what part but there is a big ford breakers in dunston

http://www.fordpartsuk.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR1n9_eK6imFIWp_6K912tRggD2cl-TXY6Se-ZBpEc9DkOvhsLLA8FLtcck

and facebook to

https://www.facebook.com/fordpartsdunston/

Thanks.  I saw this a little late, but will keep it noted for future.

Any brand of brake cleaner will do as they all work the same way. Halfords, eurocarparts or any good motor parts shop will sell it around £3 a can. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club