Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator fan not working/Overheating to max

Matt.meds

Went out today for a drive and was driving around on the country roads and all of a sudden my cars water levels shoot through the roof and go to the max temp, then the engine management light comes on along with the water temp light, my fans are not cooling the car down and would like to know why ?? i think it might be an electrical fault ? 

19 minutes ago, Matt.meds said:

all of a sudden my cars water levels shoot through the roof and go to the max temp, then the engine management light comes on along with the water temp light,

It would be useful to know the engine type.

But sudden rise in temperature sounds more like a coolant leak, or a water pump failure. If the fan did not come on, the temperature would rise quite slowly. On most engines, it would cool down again when cruising gently if it was just a fan problem. The fan is only needed when moving slowly, or if the engine is working really hard. Petrol engines will heat up much more quickly than diesels, also.

48 minutes ago, Matt.meds said:

ts a 1.6 st petrol. 

I would check the water level, and look for any leaks. Then start the engine and let it idle. A petrol engine usually reaches operating temperature in 5 to 15 minutes when idling. Check the CH temperature gauge, and actual CH temperature if possible. Also monitor the top hose to the radiator. Check the thermostat opens at a sensible temperature, when the top hose should quite suddenly get hot. Look / listen for any gas venting from the expansion tank filler cap.

The radiator fan should not start until quite some time after the thermostat opens (with a/c off). Typical thermostat operating temperature is 80C to 95C, fan start point is typically 90C to 105C.

Also turn on the a/c, and check that the radiator fan runs at low speed, even with a cool engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club