Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre recommendations - 195 55 15s

DMB1

Hi folks 

the missus has a 2013 5 door zetec (1.25) with the standard 195 55 15s on it. 

The front two tyres have about 2.5mm left so needing changed very soon.

Has anyone any recommendations? I’ve been looking at davanti dx340s, Avon zv7s or the uniroyal rain sport 3 (these being the dearest). 

Shes looking a tyre which will last a bit longer than the basic budget tyres, which are currently on it - she averages about 12k a year

Regards

Mark

At 2.5mm I’d be changing them now pal.

the Avon’s are a good tyre but I’ve always found them to be quite a soft compound so they don’t last as long as some. They are pretty grippy though. I currently have the Bridgestones on my Focus in 19’s and they have been superb, I’ve even noticed my fuel consumption get better! 

When it comes to tyres I am a true believer of you get what you pay for and you should spend as much as you can afford on them as they are what keep you on the road. 

9E637244-9CA7-4A11-85F9-DE67DF6A7F76.jpeg

Yeah - hoping to change them this week.

I haven’t heard much about those bridgestones - will give them a look. 

Those avons on blackcircle are also £15 cheaper a corner than what my local tyre place quoted me here in Belfast. 

I fitted Avon Tyres to my previous Focus and I would fit them again. They were very quiet and seemed to stay in balance throughout their life. No problems with grip either. I haven't tried any of the other tyres that you mentioned.

• Like 1

I have the uniroyal rain sport 3 tyres and they are brilliant.   I've done 3000 miles on the fronts so far and there is little sign of wear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

I have the uniroyal rain sport 3 tyres and they are brilliant.   I've done 3000 miles on the fronts so far and there is little sign of wear.

Are your wheels the same size as the ones I’ve listed above?

Blackcircles currently have 10% off - so would bring them down to £129.51 fitted for two tyres. 

The wear on them is fine then too? 

Think I’ll go between them and the Avons. 

9 minutes ago, DMB1 said:

Are your wheels the same size as the ones I’ve listed above?

Blackcircles currently have 10% off - so would bring them down to £129.51 fitted for two tyres. 

The wear on them is fine then too? 

Think I’ll go between them and the Avons. 

Exactly the same Mark. 

• Like 1

Anyone any feedback on the Kumho Ecsta HS51? 

They appear to be keenly proved aswell. 

Can’t comment on that particular tyre but as a brand they are decent. My wife has 17” khumo mud tyres on her Captur (***** knows why but they were from factory) and they are showing little wear after 8k miles and she’s stayed rubber side down and out of ditches

• Like 1

Uniroyal rainsports 3 you cannot beat them for price. The only reason im running perellis p zeros at the moment is cause I got a full set for free [emoji23]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm about to put x4 on my 1.4TDCI and as i will be doing 25K miles a year i'm looking at longevity, my local Costco is doing Bridestone T005EVO TL for £77.98 including fitting/ balancing/ Nitrogen fill/ valves and disposal.

I was also thinking as i was doing all four maybe changing to a different size for future savings as ill be doing high miles, 

They do Bridgestone 195/50/15 (-3% OSD) for £53.38 or Michelin Energy savers 195/65/15 (+6.8% OSD) for £57.58.

The larger OSD might be a bit better for the motorway miles, anyone have any experience with different 15" tyre sizes?

Ta

Ross

13 minutes ago, Manimalfloss said:

Hi all

I'm about to put x4 on my 1.4TDCI and as i will be doing 25K miles a year i'm looking at longevity, my local Costco is doing Bridestone T005EVO TL for £77.98 including fitting/ balancing/ Nitrogen fill/ valves and disposal.

I was also thinking as i was doing all four maybe changing to a different size for future savings as ill be doing high miles, 

They do Bridgestone 195/50/15 (-3% OSD) for £53.38 or Michelin Energy savers 195/65/15 (+6.8% OSD) for £57.58.

The larger OSD might be a bit better for the motorway miles, anyone have any experience with different 15" tyre sizes?

Ta

Ross

Sounds like a good deal but I really hate the “nitrogen fill” for which places charge more or suggest is much better. You gain nothing and normal air is 78% nitrogen anyway so struggle to jump onboard the nitrogen bandwagon. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, DG97 said:

Sounds like a good deal but I really hate the “nitrogen fill” for which places charge more or suggest is much better. You gain nothing and normal air is 78% nitrogen anyway so struggle to jump onboard the nitrogen bandwagon. 

Worked in a garage that had a nitogen inflator. Did 2 years on a single nitrogen fill on tires. Never had to top up until a punture. Highly recommend it.

mine is 2019 mk8 fiesta , it came with factory installed bridgestone ecopia ep150 , 195/60R15 , I think you will find your tyre size for the same model, done 9000 km so far , the tyres perform well and their grip is very good, no noticeable wear so far, I'm planning to install the same tyre when the current set needs replacement, I like its performance and as far as I know this ecopia is designed to maximize fuel economy as it has low rolling resistance.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:55 PM, DG97 said:

I strongly agree with you , this nitrogen thing is probably the biggest scam ever in the world of tyres 😄 , I couldn't see any gains as pure air is already 78% nitrogen as you mentioned, beside the increase in tyre pressure due to the change in temperature is not noticeable at all compared to nitrogen, the pressure loss rate also is nearly the same, and besides that to fill your tyres with nitrogen properly you need to inflate and empty the tyre many times and after all of this you will have around the 90% nitrogen, you will never get 100% nitrogen in any tyre, I strongly agree with you 🙂

• Like 1

I've run davantis on a w204 Merc.  They are grippy but don't last that long.  Uniroyal are my goto midrange tyre.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on this topic, 

Purchased the 4x 195/65/R15 Michelin Energy savers and with a promotion worked out at £159 for the 4, they wouldnt fit them as they were not whats currently on the car or a recognised size so that is just for the tyres.

My pals a tyre fitter so will fit them for nothing for me, ill get some pics of the before and after to show stance and ride height but will be fitting some coil overs in the near future.

Ta

if you change from 195/55/15 to 195/65/15 my maths says that will give you a circumference about 6.5% more than before so your speedo will read 6.5% difference than it did before unless you do something about it. and the gearing will be 6.5% higher which might improve mpg on a long steady run.

32 minutes ago, isetta said:

if you change from 195/55/15 to 195/65/15 my maths says that will give you a circumference about 6.5% more than before so your speedo will read 6.5% difference than it did before unless you do something about it. and the gearing will be 6.5% higher which might improve mpg on a long steady run.

Yep all part of the long term plan, i'm 65 miles each way for work every day on single and dual carriageway none stop so cruise the first 50 mile of A roads at 55 and dual carriageway at 65, Being a 1.4TDCi (mapped to 95BPH) its not keen on going much faster with out it being noisy.

I'm hoping that the larger rolling circumference will give me a couple miles extra mph for the same RPM all be it at the cost of the calendar worthy 0-60, as for the speedo i use my satnav as its more accurate.

For information its returning 61 ish MPG on these runs as i do it 5 days a week, another reason for the change in size as mentioned before the considerably cheaper tyre cost over the standard size, will need the coil-overs or lowering springs soon i think.

Cruise control steering wheel (eBay £42) should be in the post today so that is this weekends job.

It won't trigger the abs all tyres have been changed. However I'm never for increasing tyre size [emoji23]

11 minutes ago, bashbarnard said:

It won't trigger the abs all tyres have been changed. However I'm never for increasing tyre size emoji23.png

Might give it a smoother ride, which i will then spoil with the coil overs 😂😂😂😂😂

and it will reduce chance of damage to wheels on pot holes (as more rubber in between road and wheel) and kerbs(as the edge of wheel is higher from road)

12 hours ago, isetta said:

and it will reduce chance of damage to wheels on pot holes (as more rubber in between road and wheel) and kerbs(as the edge of wheel is higher from road)

HAHAHA you've seen the roads in North Scotland then.........

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club