Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow bars

Chris Chopper

Hi I have a Focus Titanium X on a 12 plate(Eco edition) and was hoping to get a tow bar fitted just to carry some bikes as I found it a bit of a pain using a roof cycle rack but I'm not sure I can get it put on due to it being a Eco even though some website say yes and some say no as I said I'm not looking to tow a caravan just some bike (4) and the back spoiler isn't keen on a rear mounted rack even though I have one that carriers 4 bikes I have to re arrange the strapping and I'm not convinced for how long it will be good for a longer trip, Dose anyone have any experience with this problem?

I seem to recall that the problem with the eco models is the higher ratio final drive that makes it unsuitable for towing, chassis wise a tow bar for a focus o the same mk will fit.

There is a difference between the ECOnetic Technology versions and the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic version.

The ECOnetic Technology name was introduced on vehicles that included a number of measures to improve fuel economy and emissions. Vehicles that have the ECOnetic Technology badge do have the exact same allowed towing weight as their "normal" equivalents.

The 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic was specifically designed for improved fuel economy and emissions. To achieve this the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic has lots of differences compared to the "normal" 1.6 TDCI. Because of these differences the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic has a lower allowed towing weight as the "normal" 1.6 TDCI. Depending on the production date and market (country) the car is produced for the maximum allowed towing weight of the 1.6 TDCI ECOnetic can either be 300 KG or even 0 KG. If the maximum allowed towing weight is 300 KG a tow bar bike rack can be used without any problems. If the maximum allowed towing weight is 0 KG you should check your countries regulations first. Some countries allow a tow bar bike rack on a 0 KG vehicle while other countries don't. 

Sorry I forgot to add some more details that change your replies or make no difference, The car is a Petrol 1.6 turbo Ecoboost. From I have now researched the car can tow 1500 kg dose this sound about right? Dose anyone have any experience  in the fitting of a tow bar? Most dealer want around 500-700 fitted I have a friend who is a fitter and is willing to fit a tow bar from a kit but says the electric maybe not be so easy depending on what is needed 

The 1.6 ECOboost does indeed have a maximum allowed towing weight of 1500 KG. These cars are perfectly suitible for towing.

Installing the actual towbar should not be a problem. After removing the rear bumper and metal bumper reinforcement the towbar can easily be bolted onto the chassis. Depending on the brand and type of towbar it may be necessary to make a (small) cutout in the rear bumper to make it fit arround the towbar.

The wiring however is a different matter. I recommend to use the original Ford towbar wiring kit. This kit includes the vehicle specific wiring harness and the CANbus trailer tow module. Arround 2012 Ford stopped installing the towbar wiring preparation as standard. Vehicles without the towbar wiring preparation require an additional wiring harness that needs to be connected between the electronics at the front of the cabin and the towbar wiring kit which is installed in the boot. After installation of the towbar wiring and module the Central Car Configuration needs to be reprogrammed to let the car know that a towbar is installed. The CANbus trailer tow module communicates with all different CANbus modules inside the car. When the system detects a trailer (or bicycle carrier) being connected to the car the module will activate the trailer lights and disable the rear parking sensors. In case the car detects that the trailer makes the car loose control of the trailer the traler sway control functionality will activate the ABS/ESP to generate a force in the opposite direction and regain control of the trailer. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club