Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No CD player- What options work best for you?

Stephen Cairns

Taking delivery of a new Fiesta Titanium tomorrow. Didn't realise there is no CD player anymore. I have about 1300 CDs, and listening in the car to/from work is a great source of pleasure to me. As someone who is less than great with technology, can I ask how people listen to their music in the car? The salesman suggested a USB stick- roughly how many tracks can you fit onto one stick? I apologise if this is a repeated question- I searched through the first few pages and didn't see any question like this. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me. :-) 

• Like 2

How many tracks you can fit on a USB stick depends on a few things.

1) how many gb the USB stick is
2) what quality you copy the CD with (ie 256kb)
3) what format you save the CDs as (MP3 works best)
4) what the file size of the ripped song is.

I have a 128gb USB stick with over 600 songs on and have barely touched the space available (115gb still available). I could probably get away with using a 32gb memory stick and still have space.

• Thanks 1

Depending on what phone you have you might be better off ripping your CDs and putting them on there and play them via BT. Easier if you have an Android phone. 

If you fancied the USB route a 64gb stick, get a low profile one, should do though ripping that many CDs will take a long while. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I use Spotify 

It's an app on my phone which I pay a small monthly subscription fee to use 

Has every song I want and I create a playlist then download everything to that playlist;

I then play it in the car through bluetooth 

Not sure what the uk price is but its €9.99 per month here for a single user, 

I've signed up for a family account which costs €14.99 per month but allows for four different profiles, 

My wife, myself, our daughter and my mother all have there own profile and I pay the subscription, 

My mother cant operate a smart phone or a computer, she can barely send text messages, but we bought her an amazon Echo and paired it to her spotify account profile; so it plays any songs for her by request all she needs do is ask it. 

Overall I recommend spotify 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I listen to amazon in the car a lot now.
I can honestly say i've never put a cd in my current car's radio.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usb memory stick like this:

128Gb Usb stick

holds like 16,000-22,000 songs in it...

So you can rip almost all your cd:s in to it... 😀

I have 64Gb version and I have used about 40% capacity....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ripped all mine years ago and sold the physical discs to a mate.
Job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 track is brill, you can jump from one track to another with a push of a button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved 8 track as a kid in the 70s, I was fascinated by the mechanism.  

I also miss the cd player, I've done some transfers to usb but it takes a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put all my CDs onto a NAS years ago. It's a huge pain when you do it, well time consuming to be more accurate, but once done it's nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an 8gb stick with 1100 songs on all ripped at the highest rate possible, it took an afternoon to do using windows player and the rip to cd option. It doesnt do it in real time its much faster. No need to do it all at once.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

I have an 8gb stick with 1100 songs on all ripped at the highest rate possible, it took an afternoon to do using windows player and the rip to cd option. It doesnt do it in real time its much faster. No need to do it all at once.

Same here, loads of room still left also. Been using the same stick for years in various cars, adding new music from time to time. Also copied the contents on to an SD card for cars that use that format.

Seem to recall with the old version of Windows I used (Vista) you needed to be online when ripping the CD to pick up the album cover artwork. No bother with that now though as the Gracenote software in Sync 3 adds suitable artwork when you select albums if there is nothing on the file.

• Thanks 1

Gracenote is a pain, generic art and it mucks up track orders in an album.

I use mp3tag to rewrite the id3 metadata so the tracks play in order and with the correct album specific artwork.

Particularly handy on compilation discs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have stacks of CDs and although I have ripped them to MP3, I prefer to play a wav file CD rather than use MP3 as a source, whether from a smart 'phone or burned to a CD as MP3 files.

I tease my brother that he has an expensive car, with an expensive sound system, that cannot play a good source such as a CD! 

MP3 will reduce sound quality, because of the bit reduction techniques used.  And I'm not sure, but I don't think early blutooth links are verygood either for real time audio transmission.

A prime source should be an option, especially for us old drivers (who may still play vinyl indoors!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rip to as dense a format as I can,  mp3s do sometimes sound hollow.

• Thanks 1

I've re-ripped all my stuff into FLAC now, especialy with the B&O system, it really highlights MP3 compression.

• Thanks 1

Everything on memory sticks a long time ago.

DVD'S onto PC.

Dont own a CD player or DVD player other than the built in ones on pc or laptop.

All hard copies either sold on music magpie or taken to charity shop.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mavroz said:

Everything on memory sticks a long time ago.

DVD'S onto PC.

Dont own a CD player or DVD player other than the built in ones on pc or laptop.

All hard copies either sold on music magpie or taken to charity shop.

So you then deleted all your digital copies, you no longer had hard copies for, right? 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbh, most of the music I ever owned is available via amazon so I've basically bought most of my music twice.
As pretty much all music is now distributed as downloaded mp3 files you can put it onto any device you choose as long as you don'y give ot to third parties or burn cd's for friends, sell the discs or share via p2p.

• Thanks 1

There is a CD player in the Ford accessory catalogue; only snag is, it’s £250 and it’s placed in the glove box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2019 at 9:31 AM, Stoney871 said:

Gracenote is a pain, generic art and it mucks up track orders in an album.

Yeah, it selects some generic art relevant to the artist, but I'm fine with that. Not had any problem with it mucking up the order of tracks, though.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, it selects some generic art relevant to the artist, but I'm fine with that. Not had any problem with it mucking up the order of tracks, though.
That would bug me big time.
Proper album art suits my fussy nature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can spec a glovebox mounted CD player when ordering a new Fiesta.  That might mean you can order the part and have it fitted/coded in.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

You can spec a glovebox mounted CD player when ordering a new Fiesta.  That might mean you can order the part and have it fitted/coded in.

Yeah it's in the accessory catalog 😉

• Thanks 1