JordanB

Ford Focus throttle pedle problems

Hi all i have a ford focus 2009 titanium 1.6 petrol which the throttle pedal has started playing up sometimes even going into engine malfunction mode which causes it to go into limp mode i went and got a diagnostic which the mechanic said it was the throttle pedal got a peddle and it was fine  for about 5 days then the same thing happens again i went to see another mechanic an was told nothing much they could do they would recommend bringing it to ford that's the last thing i want to do does anyone no what this is or were i could get this fixed liverpool area cheers 

This problem is most likely caused by a defective instrument cluster. On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the electronic throttle pedal (which is basically a dual potentiometer) is directly connected to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster converts the analog signal of the throttle pedal to a digital value that is communicated over the CANbus network to the PCM. The PCM receives the CANbus message that contains the throttle pedal position and controls the electronic throttle body.

These symptoms are usually caused by bad soldering connections of the instrument cluster circuit board. This is a well known problem of the MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster. The bad soldering connections cause an intermittent connection which results in invalid/corrupt CANbus data. This will activate limp mode.

I had a similar issue with my mk2 Focus due to the throttle pedal. It would occasionally cause the car to go into limp mode etc.

It was diagnosed as a contaminated ground (attached to the wrong place, likely when the previous owner had the air con redone - I'm not a mechanic and just relaying it how I remember, this was 2 years ago now) and the grounding wire was moved to its correct location - haven't had a problem since.

The first garage I took it too had no idea and wanted to do the instrument cluster fix. If you have an OBD cable (such as the tunnelrat one) you may be able to diagnose it to one or the other.

I'm not saying that this is what has happened with yours, just that it may be worth checking before doing an instrument cluster fix.