Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Half Keyless Entry Fiesta (susceptible to relay attack)

mulkman

Hi 

I have just purchased a 2017 Ford Fiesta Titanium (New Shape) 67 plate version with keyless start (not fully keyless).

Is my keyfob still susceptible to relay attack as I still have to press the unlock button on remote to unlock/lock doors to gain entry?

If a intruder does capture the signal from my keyfob he will only be able to start the engine and not unlock the doors?

Please can someone clarify would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks 

9 minutes ago, mulkman said:

If a intruder does capture the signal from my keyfob he will only be able to start the engine and not unlock the doors?

Yes, that's correct. 

Although if they hang around by your car, it is possible for them to capture the unlock signal when you press the button, although a lot less likely!

They'd have to break in, but then could use relay to shut the alarm up and start the car, or hack the car via OBD.

So it's not susceptible to the silent theft of relaying the signal to unlock the doors and then start, but there are still potential vulnerabilities, however it's likely the alarm would be going off.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I will definitely be getting a Faraday bag to be on the safe side and routinely test it within the car to ensure its keeping me protected.

Ford will be offering an upgrade via dealer soon for their new sleeping key-fobs - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/106556/ford-launches-new-keyless-fob-to-combat-relay-attacks 

Would like to know the price but think its pointless because if you have the key in your pocket your still moving to its still active to capture.

Don't know if it ever actually deterred anybody, but on the Mk 8 of course, there's no flashing light anymore to indicate if the alarm is armed.

I keep my keys in a metal container upstairs when not in use and have reverted to using an old-fashioned mechanical lock as well. Progress, eh?😀

5 hours ago, mulkman said:

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I will definitely be getting a Faraday bag to be on the safe side and routinely test it within the car to ensure its keeping me protected.

Ford will be offering an upgrade via dealer soon for their new sleeping key-fobs - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/106556/ford-launches-new-keyless-fob-to-combat-relay-attacks 

Would like to know the price but think its pointless because if you have the key in your pocket your still moving to its still active to capture.

If your car is not keyless entry there's no need for that fob, your fob only transmits a signal to open the door when you press the button, a keyless fob transmits all the time so the car can pick up the signal as you get near it, that's the signal the thief is boosting.

41 minutes ago, MarksST said:

If your car is not keyless entry there's no need for that fob, your fob only transmits a signal to open the door when you press the button, a keyless fob transmits all the time so the car can pick up the signal as you get near it, that's the signal the thief is boosting.

They have keyless start, it is the same key used for keyless entry and will be broadcasting all the time, if it's not one of the new sleepy keys.

The only difference is that the car doesn't have the necessary hardware/config to unlock from the keyless key, however a relay could still be used to start the car if they gain entry.

Get a basic metal key cabinet.
They screen key signals pretty well (tested mine with a 433Mhz key signal checker).
The only way they would get my car is to physically get the key from the locked box and that's covered by cctv, a control room linked house alarm and 3 very bitey Police Dogs [emoji41].

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

think yours is the same as my 6 month old st3 and is suseptable to relay attack. you can now get your key upgraded so it goes into sleep mode after 20 seconds, but they will charge you approx. £140 to do both keys. I bought myself a disclok and keep keys in metal box and in safe

It does make me laugh that "progress" has resulted in us ressurecting old tech.  I haven't used a crooklok since the early 90s.

I presume that the Mk7 ST Fiesta doesn't have this option?

Although I don't use any key case/bag, my key is usually located well away from an exterior wall where any scanner would be used and, like @Stoney871, we've got a lot of dogs around the house including one rather shouty Doberman who enjoys a challenge :laughing:.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the motion key is only compatible with cars post 2018.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I'm pretty sure the motion key is only compatible with cars post 2018.

That’s what I’d read also. 

• Like 2

I can have my car upgraded to them, but it's like £150 per key, they have to re-program the BCM iirc.

So I'll stick with an old tin. 😅

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is there a list of cars that a vulnerable to this or a way of identifying a key that is ?

Surprised that ford are not upgrading the keys for free as it seems like a pretty obvious flaw that has pretty big consequences. Sort of sounds like my key is constantly shouting out my password to everyone all the time. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club