Do Not Sell My Personal Information

gear problem

ANDYSQUIZ

I've got a 53 plate ford fiesta 1.4 petrol black edition car. When driving home the other day after approx. 15 miles I started experiencing difficulty engaging gears, going down the range wasn't to bad but going up through 3rd was very difficult. There was no grinding noises just a distinct resistance. When I got home I couldn't enage reverse gear it sounded like the clutch wasn't fully disengaging.

After leaving the car parked over night I took the car to the garage, during this small journey nothing was wrong with the gears! 

Garage have recommended replacing the clutch and the gearbox! £1100 bil. 

Before I book this in are there any other possibilities why the gears would play up after getting warm?

Have you cleaned the cable pivot on front of box. Super common. When warm they expand slightly causing resistance. 20 mins job. Have a Google.

Thanks for the quick response.

Nope not tried that yet, is there a guide to doing this, sorry but not yet got a Haynes manual for the car. Also when the engine is off the gears are nice and easy to change

pivot point and assembly are clean and free to move.

Theres a lot of old dried oil behind the gear change mechanism though

On my previous fiesta it started getting a bit stiff. I put tons of oil all over that area in the pictures including down the back of the big metal pivoting thing. It was fine after that. 

Thanks, I will give that a go

OK, I have removed pivot point and greased it up like in the youtube videos, this hasn't helped, although I have noticed some more symptoms: -

1. The fault only occurs when I ref the engine hard (above 4000rpm)

2. When the fault occurs by keeping the revs really low the gear change is manageable, slightly more force than normal required to change gear.

With the fault present, when the clutch is pressed fully down a loud whirring noise can be heard, also when you engage a gear the car judders really badly until the clutch is fully released.

is there any way that I can prove that this is not the gearbox but just the clutch, really don't fancy changing both.

Many thanks 

Sounds to me like a clutch release bearing is on the way out and possibly the pressure plate. Clutch assembly and gearbox oil change should do the job. As soon as you pull the gearbox oil drain, you'll know if you need a box or not as the oil would be shinier than Prince's wardrobe with metal shavings.

Thanks I will give that a go as soon as I can

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club