Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive cruise control, dangerous

Blatto

9 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I've never got hardened against the scene of a fatal RTC and truly hope I never do because that to me would be the time to just walk away from the job.

Ditto.  Unfortunately as often as not it's the motorist who wasn't at fault that cops it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sussamb said:

It's simple enough … many of us manage it :biggrin:

It is very simple, I have managed it for 30+ years just fine and a gap that i feel is appropriate is good enough for me.😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Had to deliver a Death Message (called a "deathogram" in olden days when a dark humour was permitted) three months into my probation period and I think I was just as upset about it as the deceased persons partner was.

Only had to deliver one and was very thankful I never had to do it again.   Heartbreaking job.

• Like 1

Once you’ve driven on the continent you realise just how atrocious lane discipline, gaps and general courtesy (or lack of) there is between motorists on UK motorways. 
Perhaps not all of Europe is so good, but driving all the way to Norway and back the 3hrs between Folkestone and home were the worst. 

I am looking forward to using adaptive cruise the next time I do it though. Normal cruise is a real pain on those long distances when you are following someone doing almost the same or fluctuating for such a long time. On setting 4 obviously. 

• Like 2

Oh aye.  I always know when I'm back in Britain after Europe, cos the car behind is suddenly 2 inches off my bumper.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I am looking forward to using adaptive cruise the next time I do it though. Normal cruise is a real pain on those long distances when you are following someone doing almost the same or fluctuating for such a long time. On setting 4 obviously. 

With a long journey like that, you could save loads of fuel slip streaming them on setting 1! :wink:  

It's the fluctuators that annoy me the most tbh...if you can't hold a constant speed then buy a car with cruise control ffs! :laugh:  I'd much rather someone comes bounding up my backside, I move over between 2 trucks, they pass and I can then pull out and resume cruise, continuing at 70...  Yet for some reason I get an awful lot that come bounding up behind, I pull over, then they just sit next to me or in the blind spot instead of passing! 🤦‍♂️  I'm trying to drive with less consideration now and just let them wait until there's a large gap on the left but I just can't stand feeling like a burden lol.

58 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Oh aye.  I always know when I'm back in Britain after Europe, cos the car behind is suddenly 2 inches off my bumper.

You'd be surprised how people drive in Spain.

There's always a BMW, VW Golf or Mercedes tailgating you hard even when you're just hanging on the right lane. I've found out that the best way to avoid those is to travel at night.

Yeah I was thinking about Spain when I said not all of Europe. I’ve been to the Canary Islands but didn’t want to tar the whole of mainland Spain with same brush as I’ve not been there. 😆

6 hours ago, Mavroz said:

It is very simple, I have managed it for 30+ years just fine and a gap that i feel is appropriate is good enough for me.😆

Perhaps, but from what you posted above you are way too close, that's why you got the comments you did :biggrin:

Menorca doesn't suffer from this as far as I have experienced

5 hours ago, sussamb said:

Perhaps, but from what you posted above you are way too close, that's why you got the comments you did :biggrin:

Well, I won't lose sleep over distances or comments. 😆

15 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Well, I won't lose sleep over distances or comments. 😆

Sleeping at the wheel as well now!?  You really are an accident waiting to happen!! 😮

:tongue: :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[emoji42][emoji44][emoji879]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 3:19 AM, Mavroz said:

I understand what you are all saying about stopping distances. In my little experience of doing a lot of motorway driving other than mainly airport runs etc the distances that are stated seem virtually impossible.

I am doing 70mph in lane 1, a car indicates and pulls into lane 1 Infront of me. The distance to it,I estimate is around 7 or 10 lengths so now I have to decelerate to increase this distance to 17+ lengths again. While I am doing this, the car behind me is rapidly closing the gap between us. He pulls into lane 2 to overtake me.

Once he has overtaken , he indicates and pulls into lane 1 Infront of me. The gap is no longer 17+ lengths. So do I decelerate again, forcing the car behind to decelerate or do I accelerate and overtake to get back Infront of the slower moving vehicle?

Maintaining the gap may well be ideal on paper but in practice, if every road user did it it is regularly impossible to do this, especially on dual carriage ways at 70 mph. 

I am not just talking about 70mph roads either. 40,50 and 60 are all the same with stopping distances being overlooked. 

Oh for an idyllic world.. 

True, it's not easy to keep a safe distance with others moving into your space but if someone jumps in front of me I just ease off very slightly, maybe 1 or 2mph until they are back at a safe distance. Obviously if someone is very close behind me as well I wouldn't suddenly lift off to get a gap in front again but in most cases I can limit my amount of time spent too close.

One other thing to consider with the adaptive cruise control (especially on settings 1 and 2) is that the radar is taking it's cue from the car in front to decide to slow down or speed up to maintain the gap you have chosen. What happens if the guy in front is one of those muppets on a phone or intoxicated or just unconcious for some reason and he doesn't brake at all if the traffic in front of him is stationary. If you don't notice the stationary traffic well before (which will be difficult on settings 1 and 2 as you are so close) you will just follow straight into the back of him. If you are much further back you will have time to react and brake yourself.

• Like 1

I think the point to take from this all is that adaptive cruise is safer than 'dumb' cruise as it at least actively endeavours to maintain a safe distance whereas 'dumb' cruise will plow on regardless.

All the toys in the world do not recuse a driver from maintaining effective control of their vehicle and remaining aware of potential hazards and traffic flow.

I was always told to treat every other driver around me as an idiot- always worked for me.

• Like 3

I see the active cruise on the Focus includes steering assist.  The car will steer itself around an obstacle.

I'm sure that'll be fine, after all, computers never go wrong do they.

23 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I see the active cruise on the Focus includes steering assist.  The car will steer itself around an obstacle.

I'm sure that'll be fine, after all, computers never go wrong do they.

... and as soon as you touch a white line the "lane assist" will pull you back into the path of the obstacle!

• Haha 2

ec3af3f6929c6cd91fb28bc98783a458.jpg

Well I have managed for 30ish years up to now without adaptive cruise control, steering assists, 1/2 mile gaps between vehicles, blind spot indication devices blah blah so I must be very lucky or doing something right. I am inclined to think it is the latter.

Happy motoring. 😊

• Like 1

Well yes.  I do think it's a serious point that all these things de-skill the driver.

• Like 2

How long before they include automatic pothole avoidance?  That's a driver aid I think we could all do with at the moment! :biggrin: 

They assist the driver... I don't believe they de-skill, but they do make it easier to do long distances, when you can relax more with assistance. There is a time and place for everything, driving fully 'manually' is almost a thing of the past considering all the safety and traction control devices now fitted, driver assistance allows the driver to relax during mundane driving so they can be alert when required in more congested traffic or situations. I for one would not wish to drive my old cars the distances I do now!! manual everything... good luck! 

I absolutely love ACC over standard Cruise, which is virtually useless in the UK due to the amount of congestion, but as ever the driver is ultimately (for now) in control and responsible so, if you don't like it, don't use it.

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

How long before they include automatic pothole avoidance?  That's a driver aid I think we could all do with at the moment! :biggrin: 

Mine has pothole detection, it adjusts the adaptive suspension to stop it dropping so far in and "readies" the rear suspension too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Mine has pothole detection, it adjusts the adaptive suspension to stop it dropping so far in and "readies" the rear suspension too.

We need a shock reaction lol!  How did I not know this was a thing!! 😲

I guess it's only on ST's?  Can't imagine they have electronic dampers on the standard models?

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

We need a shock reaction lol!  How did I not know this was a thing!! 😲

I guess it's only on ST's?  Can't imagine they have electronic dampers on the standard models?

Standard on ST Petrol hatchback. Option on diesel hatch. I think it’s an option on the Vignale too. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club