Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Focus

DaveG1975

4 hours ago, DaveG1975 said:

The dealer does'nt want to know must admit I do short journeys to 5 mile there 5 mile back my stop start rarely works either yes I do get a low battery warning on my sync 3 screen as well

It’s a little worrying that your dealer doesn’t want to know.

Batteries can develop problems like a faulty cell so how come the dealer isn’t prepared to investigate that possibility.

I also do relatively short journeys but so does a friend of mine with the same MK4 focus and he has no problems with his keyless door locks and his auto stop start works more often than not.

As said previously, I also get a low battery warning on my Sync 3 screen.

4 hours ago, Westville said:

I appreciate that my point which I clearly failed to make was that your lock/unlock settings a la the key fob may also affect the door handle locking - worth a look?

Apologies. 👍 :blushing:

• Thanks 1

I think some of these issues could be due to the way the intelligent battery charger works or rather doesn't work sometimes. It's worth reading up on subject . But basically if you only do short journeys or journeys where you put high load on the battery eg Aircon ,lighting etc the battery never really gets charged right up . It's all to do with reducing emissions. It will ensure there's always enough power in the battery to start the car though which is why you may get that low battery warning however at the same time it shuts down various features including it seems keyless entry on all except drivers door. I realised all this way back when I first had my car 8 months ago when strange things happened and it still runs fine. If you haven't already get a USB voltmeter to plug in the 12v socket and you can see how the charge system works. 

• Like 1

at the same time it shuts down various features including it seems keyless entry on all except drivers door

I've been travelling recently with a cool box plugged into the 12v socket. After a journey where I'd stopped a couple of times, which would have left the cool box running for up to an hour, I half noticed that the keyless entry wasn't working on anything other than the drivers door. I had expected start/stop to be probably non-functional, and it was, but hadn't twigged on the keyless entry until I saw this thread. After a reasonable journey without the cool box everything was back to normal, so it would seem that's it's sensitive to even a small drop in battery charge.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all the interesting information.

So it appears that for those of us who only make short journeys and say use air con etc. that we may have to accept the situation as is.

As said earlier my car is booked in for my dealer to investigate, so I will be interested to see what they say.

I understand that the batteries fitted are already heavy duty types because of the auto stop start function so I would have hoped they would be able to cope with the extra demand/drain.

I suppose ideally I would like them to replace the battery to prove the point but I will have to see if they would be prepared to do that.

BTW, I have a voltage monitor plugged into the 12v socket and have noticed that when driving (charging) the voltage can vary say 13.9 – 14.7 V but when stationary (engine off) and left overnight the voltage can be 11.8 – 12.1 V which is probably borderline.

Went out to my car this morning and guess what all the door lock sensors are working again and tonight when I left work but I haven't yet taken my car out for a bit of run so but the stop start function still isn't working so I will take it out for long run this weekend and see what happens

I was reading an article on the BBC News app this week about keyless entry systems and car theft that was quite interesting - apparently the Focus is in the top 10 easiest cars to steal. I'm thinking now that keyless entry probably isn't worth all the hassle so I've just disabled it on the car settings menu and am using the key fob instead (which isn't actually a huge burden to be honest).

By-the-way, does anybody else's autolock function work? On my previous car, the doors would look automatically once you reached 5mph, are our Focuses supposed to do the same? I've got a manual lock / unlock switch on the inside of my door and similarly there's an auto un-lock setting on the car menu but nothing for auto lock.

Not if you've got the new motion  detection fobs that they're coming out of the factory with . £72 each to upgrade at a dealer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

Not if you've got the new motion  detection fobs that they're coming out of the factory with . £72 each to upgrade at a dealer. 

Oh yes, just googled that:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-tackles-keyless-car-theft-with-new-sleeping-key-fob/n19213

so, great if you got your Focus after May 2019 but not so great otherwise (unless you want to pay out £144 for a pair of key fobs).

1 hour ago, Dark Andy said:

Oh yes, just googled that:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-tackles-keyless-car-theft-with-new-sleeping-key-fob/n19213

so, great if you got your Focus after May 2019 but not so great otherwise (unless you want to pay out £144 for a pair of key fobs).

Or you could consider purchasing a pair of good quality Faraday key pouches.

They achieve the same result as the new sleeping key fobs at a fraction of the cost.

A Sleeping Key fob will not transmit a signal until physically moved.

However, although a Standard Key Fob transmits continually its signal will be blocked when enclosed in a good quality Faraday pouch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took my car in yesterday as planned and they informed me that they have charged the battery and that all 4 key-less door locks now work and that the auto stop start should also now start working.

After collecting my car this morning I was pleased to find that all 4 key-less door locks are working correctly. :biggrin:

However, unfortunately my auto stop start still does not work. :sad:

I checked the information display and it shows the following message.

20190820_101313.jpg

So although my battery has been recently charged my auto stop start is still not working. I found it strange that the information message appears to indicate that the reason is due to the battery still low and requires charging.

I contact my dealer to explain the situation and I am taking it in next week for them to carry out further tests.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, PLB said:

Took my car in yesterday as planned and they informed me that they have charged the battery and that all 4 key-less door locks now work and that the auto stop start should also now start working.

After collecting my car this morning I was pleased to find that all 4 key-less door locks are working correctly. :biggrin:

However, unfortunately my auto stop start still does not work. :sad:

I checked the information display and it shows the following message.

20190820_101313.jpg

So although my battery has been recently charged my auto stop start is still not working. I found it strange that the information message appears to indicate that the reason is due to the battery still low and requires charging.

I contact my dealer to explain the situation and I am taking it in next week for them to carry out further tests.

Have you taken you car back to the dealers yet if so what did they? Charged my battery up 2 weeks one Sunday went to work on Monday 5 mile trip the stop start worked came home later and it didn't work and not worked since 

Just reading another thread on here about flat batteries some people are saying Ford App is to blame its not not shutting down the system in your so drains your battery weather thats true I don't know there answer either delete or make sure the app on your phone is closed down properly interesting if thats true or not if anybody tries and work for them let me know

I pointed this out a long time ago about the Ford pass app. If you use it make sure you force it to stop afterwards otherwise it can work in the background with the car Sync3. 

8 hours ago, DaveG1975 said:

Have you taken you car back to the dealers yet if so what did they? Charged my battery up 2 weeks one Sunday went to work on Monday 5 mile trip the stop start worked came home later and it didn't work and not worked since 

Just reading another thread on here about flat batteries some people are saying Ford App is to blame its not not shutting down the system in your so drains your battery weather thats true I don't know there answer either delete or make sure the app on your phone is closed down properly interesting if thats true or not if anybody tries and work for them let me know

Cars booked in Thursday for them to carry out more checks.

I am now back to square one with no 'Auto Stop Start' and only the drivers door 'Key-less' lock/unlock working.

I will also be taking the following screen shots in to show them.

Regarding the Ford Pass App possibly draining the battery. I am open to suggestions so see my reply to Brian below.

20190818_113534_1566860369789_resized.jpg

20190820_101313_1566860372643_resized.jpg

7 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

I pointed this out a long time ago about the Ford pass app. If you use it make sure you force it to stop afterwards otherwise it can work in the background with the car Sync3. 

Interesting point about the Ford Pass App possibly draining the battery.

I am willing to investigate.

Could you clarify regarding a force stop of the app?

Do you mean to somehow close the app down via the installed mobile apps screen on the sync 3 touch screen?

Or more likely, do you mean to make sure the app is not running in the background on my mobile phone.

If so I already do that as I make sure before turning off my phone that no apps are running.

Or do you mean to log out of the app every time?

Hopefully not as it would be a pain having to log in every time I wanted to use the app.

I use Android. Just go into Settings/Apps/FordPass/Force stop

Similar on Apple

• Thanks 1

I only do 12 miles each way, (mostly motorway) and auto start/stop does not works. Dealer told me to expect it never to work unless doing very long journeys.

I have a MK4 68 plate stlinex .  I had the same issue with the door sensors, only the drivers door and boot would open.  turned out to be low charge on the battery.  The dealer charged it for me.  Havent had the problem since.  Low battery can also stop the LIM system from working.

I wonder how much this connected car rubbish drains the battery.  How periodically does it report its position for instance?

Going to be interesting getting into winter with short journeys using headlights etc get up for work in the morning with a flat battery only time will tell

18 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

I use Android. Just go into Settings/Apps/FordPass/Force stop

Similar on Apple

Thanks for the information.

I have an Android Samsung Galaxy S5 and always close my running apps using the method as shown in the video.

This method I presume is the same as Settings/Apps/FordPass/Force stop.

Therefore, I assume in my case that eliminates the Ford Pass as causing the potential low battery problem.

• 1 month later...

I have just bought a new Focus Vignae. My touch door handle only work intermittently. Seriously frustrating . Its not life threatening but I would like to know if this is a general issue with Ford Focus 

I have just bought a new Focus Vignae. My touch door handle only work intermittently. Seriously frustrating . Its not life threatening but I would like to know if this is a general issue with Ford Focus 

Where is your key when opening the car door?
Pocket, bag?
With loads of keys on a bunch or by itself?
Many things can block the RF signal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Where is your key when opening the car door?
Pocket, bag?
With loads of keys on a bunch or by itself?
Many things can block the RF signal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sometimes I have to shake the keys in my pocket before the door will unlock.

Key rings, other keys, etc will block the signal sometimes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Sometimes I have to shake the keys in my pocket before the door will unlock.

Just a thought - do you have the new motion sensing keyfobs?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club