Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Help! Really weird situation

Jamey0512

A very long story short, I just changed my clutch and flywheel. Every time I start my car and set of my car suddenly puts the ABS light on and traction control light. Steering goes heavy, hill assist goes off, auto stop start goes off and my spedo doesn't work but my revs do!

I've checked behind the wheels for damage on the sensors but they look fine, help?

Most likely is a sensor or bearing issue.  Will need diagnostics to point you to the specific wheel that's causing the problem though.

Forscan would be ideal for this.

Yeah, when i stop the car and turn it back on the traction control light will go off but the abs light will be on. I will drive to about 5 mph, 5mph is where i feel a rumble and hear a mad noise. Then after 5mph around 10mph the lights will come back on, steering will go heavy, but the rumble will go if i was to do 5mph again with the light on

2 hours ago, Jamey0512 said:

5mph is where i feel a rumble and hear a mad noise. Then after 5mph around 10mph the lights will come back on, steering will go heavy,

My money is on an ABS unit fault. It sounds too serious to be one of the wheel sensors, though I could be wrong!

The ESP is built into the ABS, and the vehicle speed data comes from the ABS unit. The lack of hill assist & stop-start would be normal for any type of ABS (sensor or unit) fault. But to turn off the power steering & speedo indicates a total failure of the unit, I would say.

The ABS does a self test after any start, about 15mph on my car, but could be less on others. Normally this is just a quick hiss, a mad noise suggests a problem.

The ABS is not far from the gearbox, could the pipework or connectors have been damaged during the clutch change?

As Tom says, Forscan can monitor wheel sensors & ABS function, and reveal the error codes that cause the light.

Forscan can also assist in doing an ABS bleed, in case air has got in.

I plugged a device and and found out that its a mechanical fault. My bet is its something to do with the drive shaft.

1 hour ago, Jamey0512 said:

I plugged a device and and found out that its a mechanical fault. My bet is its something to do with the drive shaft.

OBD devices can't determine mechanical faults, only electronic ones.  What fault codes did it show?

Said something about the abs sensor. replaced it and i have the same issue. I dont have a clue whats happened. Still doing the weird stuff. If i do 5mph and use the brakes the peddle bounces. As soon as the lights come on the brakes are fine. 

Ive replaced the drive shaft too... hm

Not sure why you've replaced the driveshaft... :unsure: 

The ABS doesn't self check until around 7mph which is why it feels weird below that, it's switching off as a failsafe as soon as it senses the problem.  If the ABS sensor is fine, and its wiring hasn't been damaged.  Then I'd guess the wheel bearing has been damaged, that's where the ABS pick up is in these modern cars. its not on the driveshaft like it used to be.

If all of that is fine then it looks like the ABS module as Peter suggested.

• Like 1

Anyone for a shot of my parts cannon?😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not sure why you've replaced the driveshaft... :unsure: 

The ABS doesn't self check until around 7mph which is why it feels weird below that, it's switching off as a failsafe as soon as it senses the problem.  If the ABS sensor is fine, and its wiring hasn't been damaged.  Then I'd guess the wheel bearing has been damaged, that's where the ABS pick up is in these modern cars. its not on the driveshaft like it used to be.

If all of that is fine then it looks like the ABS module as Peter suggested.

We never went nowhere near the ABS module. Unless they have a tendency to just break. Will check wheel bearings. Ever since the clutch change the car steers to the left but thats down to the tracking. 

This cars a money pit haha