Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Power Loss

manno_88

Hi. New to the forum and was hoping for some advice.

I have a 13 plate EcoBoost 1.0 Fiesta. Never had any problems. Yesterday I was driving in a dual carriageway at 70 mph when the car jumped and there was an instant loss of power. Shortly after the engine started making a very loud humming noise which went shortly after. I have completely lost all power in the car and seems as though the turbo is not longer working.

Has anybody else had similar issues as this? Could the turbo have completely failed, and if so is it a costly repair?

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide.

Simon.

Hi, 

My sons 1.0l 64 plate Black ecoboost has just ha  the same. We plugged in an OBD and cylinder number 1 misfire detected and its running like a bag of spanners. We replaced all spark plugs and coil packs and no change. The spark plug from cylinder 1 is black in comparison to the other 2 plugs. 

Car is booked into Engineered engines tomorrow to get engine refurbishment done. £2500 which includes them removing and fitting the engine. We decided to recondition the same engine rather than another recon engine. 

My main concern and question on here is what should we replace in the cooling system as this is the cause of the problem? 

Thank you 

Ian. 

On 8/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, manno_88 said:

I have a 13 plate EcoBoost 1.0 Fiesta. Never had any problems. Yesterday I was driving in a dual carriageway at 70 mph when the car jumped and there was an instant loss of power. Shortly after the engine started making a very loud humming noise which went shortly after. I have completely lost all power in the car and seems as though the turbo is not longer working.

Has anybody else had similar issues as this? Could the turbo have completely failed, and if so is it a costly repair?

Simon.

Hi,

I had the same issue yesterday and the day before, I have a 16 plate fiesta ecoboost, first time it happened I was gradually slowing down from approx 50mph and it just lost all power and dropped to 15mph and wouldn’t rev past 2K.

Second time I was going from 60mph to 70mph and it happened again, surprised the car behind me didn’t crash into me it was so sudden, on both occasions I be turned engine off and back on and it runs fine.

I’m going to get it into the garage hopefully today to find out what’s wrong with, but I think everyone who is having this issue need to get together and complain to ford as it seems to be common issue and it’s unsafe.

thanks Matt.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, manno_88 said:

Simon.

It's probably just blown a boost hose or turbo actuator from those symptoms.  It doesn't sound terminal, has it been diagnosed at a garage yet?

20 hours ago, Ian! said:

Hi, 

My sons 1.0l 64 plate Black ecoboost has just ha  the same. We plugged in an OBD and cylinder number 1 misfire detected and its running like a bag of spanners. We replaced all spark plugs and coil packs and no change. The spark plug from cylinder 1 is black in comparison to the other 2 plugs. 

Car is booked into Engineered engines tomorrow to get engine refurbishment done. £2500 which includes them removing and fitting the engine. We decided to recondition the same engine rather than another recon engine. 

My main concern and question on here is what should we replace in the cooling system as this is the cause of the problem? 

Thank you 

Ian. 

I think your issue is different from the OP's issue.  Has a compression test been done to confirm you're losing compression from cylinder 1?  If not it could have just blown an injector.  If it has, I guess you're looking at a cracked head/block which may render the engine unsalvageable.  If it's just the headgasket you should be ok.  I don't know of any improvements you can make to the Fiesta cooling system though, it's not like the Focus version that has known weak points.

19 minutes ago, MattB95 said:

Hi,

I had the same issue yesterday and the day before, I have a 16 plate fiesta ecoboost, first time it happened I was gradually slowing down from approx 50mph and it just lost all power and dropped to 15mph and wouldn’t rev past 2K.

Second time I was going from 60mph to 70mph and it happened again, surprised the car behind me didn’t crash into me it was so sudden, on both occasions I be turned engine off and back on and it runs fine.

I’m going to get it into the garage hopefully today to find out what’s wrong with, but I think everyone who is having this issue need to get together and complain to ford as it seems to be common issue and it’s unsafe.

thanks Matt.

This is a very weird issue and again I believe it to be different to the two above.  To suddenly slow down like that sounds as if the brakes were applied, just losing power should allow the car to gradually slow down as if you'd just let off the throttle pedal.  Will be interesting to hear the diagnosis of this one!

• Like 1

Thanks Tom's Focus, 

Took the car to Ford and Piston 1 failure has been confirmed. Ford are saying a new engine and want £4900 fitted. 

I'm trying to work out the engine code as they still have the car. I think a recon engine will be best. 

Any idea what engine code is for this car? 

Thanks 

Ian 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, TomsFocus said:

It's probably just blown a boost hose or turbo actuator from those symptoms.  It doesn't sound terminal, has it been diagnosed at a garage yet?

I think your issue is different from the OP's issue.  Has a compression test been done to confirm you're losing compression from cylinder 1?  If not it could have just blown an injector.  If it has, I guess you're looking at a cracked head/block which may render the engine unsalvageable.  If it's just the headgasket you should be ok.  I don't know of any improvements you can make to the Fiesta cooling system though, it's not like the Focus version that has known weak points.

This is a very weird issue and again I believe it to be different to the two above.  To suddenly slow down like that sounds as if the brakes were applied, just losing power should allow the car to gradually slow down as if you'd just let off the throttle pedal.  Will be interesting to hear the diagnosis of this one!

So a quick update, the garage recovered the car on 8/8/19 and took it back to see what was wrong with it, they called yesterday and explained they can’t find what’s wrong with it.... typical, then they called this morning and explained they ran a ‘pressure test’ on the vehicle overnight and have noticed there is ‘a leak in the radiator somewhere’ so should be interesting to hear the what the update is - Matt.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:56 AM, MattB95 said:

Hi,

thanks Matt.

Fwiw, the common "issue", or it should really be symptom, is the car entering limp home mode. Quite a few things can trigger this, the car tries to protect itself if it detects an engine fault.

So each person could have a different fault, but all experience the same symptom if it triggers limp home mode.

Hopefully yours is nothing major, it might just be air in the system, low coolant or the temp rising a little too much due to the leak that it entered limp home mode to protect the engine.

There were recalls on early 1.0s were to tighten the parameters at which the engine protects itself, to reduce the chance of overheating and damage.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, Ian! said:

Thanks Tom's Focus, 

Took the car to Ford and Piston 1 failure has been confirmed. Ford are saying a new engine and want £4900 fitted. 

I'm trying to work out the engine code as they still have the car. I think a recon engine will be best. 

Any idea what engine code is for this car? 

Thanks 

Ian 

How much cheaper is a recon engine and does it come with the same warranty?  With all the potential issues on the 1.0EB I'd prefer to go with a brand new factory one personally.  The engine code might be on the V5 logbook if you've got that handy.  If not, the only way to tell would be looking at the etching on the engine block which I understand isn't possible for you currently.

22 minutes ago, MattB95 said:

So a quick update, the garage recovered the car on 8/8/19 and took it back to see what was wrong with it, they called yesterday and explained they can’t find what’s wrong with it.... typical, then they called this morning and explained they ran a ‘pressure test’ on the vehicle overnight and have noticed there is ‘a leak in the radiator somewhere’ so should be interesting to hear the what the update is - Matt.

Are they familiar with the 1.0EB engine?  I'd be surprised if your symptoms were caused by a minor, near undetectable, coolant leak myself. :unsure: 

• 3 years later...

Ford 999cc Ecoboost power probs.
All through the three years warranty my motor  was speckled with under power problem. The slow standing down of functions like stop/start, door locks, sensors etc eventually (two years) resulted in the concession of a replacement battery but a few weeks after this it started again. The battery charging system was flawed or not enough power was being generated.    Six weeks after warranty expired power-train warning lights started appearing and I was told to monitor it  and then cylinder one failed on a major road as described below by someone else.  Then the engine shut down. The car was recovered to the original main dealer where it remains. The engine is at fault apparently. They want me to pay as it's out of warranty…. Help please. Any similar history?

British summer time must have started.

Ecoboom problems are springing up right, left and centre. There is at least 3, or is it 4 live cases on the forum in just the last few days.

1 hour ago, Scott999 said:

Help please. Any similar history?

just search the forum and read any of the couple of hundred threads on the subject of knackered 1.0 ecobooms. In almost all cases the car needed a complete new engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club