Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.8 tdci injector module failure

Dmalpass90

Hi guys I’m wondering is the injection module built on to the diesel pump as garage has told me injection module has failed it’s 2002 1.8 TDCI any help much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Dmalpass90 said:

I’m wondering is the injection module built on to the diesel pump as garage has told me injection module has failed

No such thing!

The Mk1 Focus 1.8TDCI uses the Delphi fuel injection system, but it is basically very similar to the Mk2 (Siemens/VDO) system. It is all controlled by the ECU.

The diesel pump has a solenoid operated control valve (VCV) in it, but no electronics. There is a pressure sensor in the common rail (spider thing), and each injector is a high speed solenoid valve operated directly by the ECU.

The ECU uses the VCV to control the fuel pressure in the common rail to a pressure that depends on the accelerator opening or fuel demand. Then the ECU pulses each injector open at just the right times in each compression stroke.

Forscan with an ELM327 adapter can monitor fuel rail pressure and other things on a Mk1 Focus.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply much appreciated. Ok so garage is full of **** basically so I’m guessing maybe it will be the pump then. What happened was car was running driving and cut out turns over won’t start garage said fule module had failed quoted 700+ to fix it Iv done can belts head gaskets but don’t know much about diesel pumps so thought I would get some advice of experts on here. Car has 110 thousand on the clock fsh very looked after never let me down before. Always topped up with good fule. 

• Like 2

I will plug it in when I get chance too 

3 minutes ago, Dmalpass90 said:

Ok so garage is full of **** basically so I’m guessing maybe it will be the pump then

The older TDDI diesel pump did have some electronics built into it, and there were some fairly common failures with it. The TDDI pump pressurises the fuel and handles injection timing. The TDCI pump is simpler, it is just a two stage, high pressure pump.

One problem I have heard of with this is a cracked fuel pipe between filter & pump. This will let air in, and these pumps really can not cope with much air in the input side.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club