Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best place for 2nd key?

waqask64

I only got 1 key with my car (58 plate mk6) when i bought it. Ford want £150+ for a second key, whats the best place i could key a second key and fob for under £100?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have heard people say they sometimes get a deal from Timpsons. I think it is a franchise, if eg you pick one of the kiosk type ones in a supermarket car park and haggle, and if the bloke has no other customers and is desperate for business.

The Timpsons way is cloning the key so both keys have the same identity and the car can't tell the difference. The 'proper' way is each key has it's own identity and you program the car to accept the new key. but I don't really see what difference it makes.

on a 2008 focus I did a new 2nd key myself. Got a key blade cut on eBay from a photo of the one key I had. From another eBay seller I bought the other part of the key with the buttons and the immobiliser chip in.  Those cost me about £20 in total.

I already had a good ELM327 OBD port code reader (about £20 or slightly less for a good one). I already had a laptop with Windows on. I then used Forscan (free software) with the free Extended Licence that you need for doing the keys.

And with all that I managed to do it. If buying a key to do it yourself you need to make sure you get the correct type of immobiliser chip in it for your model of car. They vary eg 4D60, 4D63 and then there is also the bit number eg. 40 bit, 80 bit. I don't know what the correct one would be.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club